>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Reloading

Reloading/Shooting Lead vs FMJ/TMJ/Plated Bullets

For reloaders and related equipment such as presses, dies, trimmers, scales, and bullet molds.

Reloading/Shooting Lead vs FMJ/TMJ/Plated Bullets

Postby newtman » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm a novice reloader. I have found that Plated, FMJ and TMJ bullets are either hard to find or so expensive as to make them almost not very cost effective. It appears that the lead bullets are less expensive, but I'm concerned about the wear on the barrel that might be caused.
I've done some reading on the subject, but don't know all I would like to know before trying it.
Could some of you provide me some insight along these lines, please?

Thank you,

Newton :shock:
newtman

Re: Reloading/Shooting Lead vs FMJ/TMJ/Plated Bullets

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:53 pm

I wouldn't be concerned about undue barrel wear from lead. You'll have the chance of increased leading but that's easily controlled and removed. I've been reloading 230 gr. plated rounds from an Arizona manufacturer instead of the 200 gr LSWC I had been using and the prices were very competitive. Currently I'm using 5gr. of Bullseye under either bullet and haven't noticed any copper or lead build up at all. When shooting lead just be sure you're using a hard lead and I don't think you'll have any problems.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Re: Reloading/Shooting Lead vs FMJ/TMJ/Plated Bullets

Postby abaddon1234 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:26 am

them almost not very cost effective.
ผลบอลสด
abaddon1234

Return to Reloading