>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Pistol for carry?

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Pistol for carry?

Postby Ronso » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:54 am

Hi All, Just thought I'd write a quick post on my search for a carry gun for someone like me that is relatively new to this. I'm hoping to help said newbie from the mistakes I made. My first gun was to learn to shoot a pistol properly (Ruger Mark III 22/45-Bull Barrel). My next gun was for home defense and possible carry (Beretta 92FS). I like the Beretta but quickly started asking myself if I was on drugs when I thought I would carry this. It is a VERY nice pistol but too big and too heavy for me. I next shopped for a dedicated carry gun. What I bought was a Bersa Thunder Pro UC9. Again, what was I thinking? Smaller than the Beretta but too thick and too heavy. Also, at about 1,000 rounds the slide would cycle on all three of my magazines when empty (rather than lock open). Got rid of of the Bersa and actually started thinking more about the reality of a carry gun and what I wanted from it. I got a Kahr CW9. For me, this was much better. Slim, light, shoots well, and no problems whatsoever after about two thousand rounds. Started to think I could do better and tested a Sig Sauer P938 recently at a local gun store/range. Jammed on the first magazine and again on the second. They took it out of circulation and had the Gunsmith deal with it. Could have been limp-wristing on my part or lack of cleaning by the range. Decided to stick with the Kahr for now.
The takeaway is that HERE is where the novice gun toter should start, gathering information on this site from more experienced shooters, shooting any gun that you are considering for carry, and finally really thinking about how you dress and if the gun is comfortable to carry all day. While some say they can carry a 1911 comfortably (and they may), I know I can't, especially with a T-shirt and shorts. I hope this will help someone else from wasting $$ on a carry gun they won't carry
Ronso

Re: Pistol for carry?

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Ronso and welcome to the forum! I found your post interesting to read and a bit confusing in some respects. Your choices of handguns are good ones and I have to agree with you that the Beretta 92 is too large for your EDC gun. Certainly not too big if you had to but not comfortable that's for sure. Then you mentioned the Bersa 9 UC Pro. I have the UC Thunder 9 myself, the model before the Pro came out and I love it. At around 23 ounces it's right in the neighborhood of everything on the market if not average. I haven't had any of the problems you've had with my magazines. What do your mags look like around the slide lock? That isn't a problem I've heard anyone else mention about these before. I think it's a great EDC gun for those that are happy with a 9. The Kahr CW has been mentioned as a decent carry gun as well, and there certainly are a number of them that are top notch and well suited for carry and as a BUG.

My favorite EDC is the Glock 23 Gen 2 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck holster and a matching Crossbreed mag holster. Again I'm right in the weight class I spoke about earlier. You can find something lighter but the drawback is always going to be round capacity and recoil. I have been a fan of the Glock platform since it came out and have never owned a firearm as reliable and tough as they all seem to be right out of the box. The price is more than reasonable IMO, and is as accurate as you need them to be. There are groups that praise the Springfield XD and XDm, the Kimbers, Berettas, I can go on forever. The best decision is your decision and if you can find a range that rents, you're ahead of the game. One thing I hate to see a new shooter fail to investigate is the revolver. There are some excellent models available today and nothing is as easy to understand!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Ronso » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks tigwelder. About the Bersa, before buying I did some research and due to the many good reviews, decided to buy one. I can't really tell you what the cause was for the problem I described but it was there and decided it was not something I could live with. I clean my pistols every time I shoot (A dirty gun should never see the setting sun), no exceptions. But I didn't notice any visible issues like I did see with the bolt release lever on my Ruger being deformed (after God knows how many thousands of rounds) causing it to close on an empty magazine like the Bersa did. Bottom line is that the Bersas have a good reputation from what I've read but mine had this issue.
As far as revolvers, I will likely get one some time. I remember going into a used gun store that shared a wall with a gun range I shot at. In the case, I saw a beautiful S&W .38 that was unbelieveably light weight. I know very little about revolvers so forgive me if I'm wrong but I think the guy said it was a J-frame(?) Nice nice nice! That was 2 years ago and I still remember that pistol so it left an impression.
I like your definition of Democracy!
Ronso

Postby Will_Carry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:06 pm

My carry pistols are: Glock 19 gen 4. Ruger LC-9, S&W model 36-1 3" and the XD-45. I have gotten away from pocket 380s but still have a DB380 and a Sig P238 in my safe. Of the 4 pistols I carry it seems that the Ruger LC-9 is the one I carry the most. It has a loooong trigger but it has never failed from the first round and it is very handy.
Will_Carry

Postby GOANRA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Good picks on carrys there, Will. My favorite on-duty was the Glock 23.

The Glock 17-19 are always the highest rated pistols, but the trigger has to be kept covered.
I like that S&W 36, (J-Frame). I carried one as an off-duty, but the 2 inch snubbies just don't deliver the ft-lbs of terminal energy I like. I can come close with certain +Ps in a 3 inch bbl, though.

I'm still a .45 guy and my favorite is my Colt Defender for carry. With 165 gr, +P & a serious, lightweight bullet, I can get some serious ft-lbs of stopping power.

My limit on carry guns is 22 oz & less than 0.99 in thick, (from experience), otherwise I will tend to leave it home.

I do keep a Kel-Tec PF9 for those triple digit days, but it has a 'bite' and rarely sees any range time. The optional belt-clip is one of the reasons I tend to carry it for short trips to the store & such... I keep +P Corbons with light bullets (110 -115 gr) for decent 9mm ft-lbs energy.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby GOANRA » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:44 pm

My regular carry sidearms have all been thought out over decaddes of experience in LE, but now that, I am not required to "Run Towards Trouble", (as retired Joe Citizen) I have varied my needs as a regular guy.

1. I like to have about 450 ft-lbs of impact on my target at 12 feet, minimum.
2. Sidearm has to be made to draw quickly.
3. Max weight is 26 ounces.
4. Sidearms MUST be +P rated.

Reliability and accuracy to 30 feet are givens.

Also, I have learned, the hard way, to find the ideal carry holster 'BEFORE' acquiring any sidearm.
Also, I need to handle and fire the weapon model before buying one.

There is more, but these are my basic criteria.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:59 pm

I'd like to have the same carry piece you describe with me all the time as well! But there have been times I didn't have anything and would've been thrilled just knowing I had my NAA .22 Mini Revolver in my pocket!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Tig, what I posted is optimal. Many, many is the time I end up with one of my Kel-Tec .380s in my pocket.
Sometimes it is just too dern HOT to carry a proper 'piece'... my little 8 oz, 6+1 will get me home alive.
Other times, it is just necessary to be very discreet... like funerals & such.

With today's bullet technology, a little .380acp can be a VERY real threat... it is all my wife will carry, but she is a real shooter, aware of her surroundings with a superb mindset.

God help the clown who 'attempts' to grab her in some parking lot.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
GOANRA

Postby abaddon1234 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:02 am

I like your definition of Democracy! :D
เล่นฮอลิเดย์
abaddon1234

Return to Pistols