>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

Best 9mm Defensive Load

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 am

I've got several "favorites" that I have and am certain that under any circumstances any one of them is going to "work". I'm a firm believer in old school ideas. When fired from say a 3 or 4 inch barrel, a standard load FMJ should provide deeper penetration, regardless of weight (than a JHP will). A JHP should penetrate less, and expand in the target better than the FMJ will. That's as basic a comparison as can be made regarding these two rounds. I'm not figuring in different manufacturers, handloads or hotloads (+P, +P+, etc). One thing I see everyday and I'm included is that there are so many new offerings released almost quarterly that I simply can't keep up with them. I can't afford to test every new product placed on the market either. I gave up trying a long time ago too. As Will stated, buy quality ammuntion and trust them. There is no "MAGIC" bullet, quit looking for it!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Re: Best 9mm Defensive Load

Postby GOANRA » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

9mm Speer Gold Dots and Federal Premium Elite are some good ones.
Gold Dot 'for short barrels' is supposed to prevent 'power-blowby', andi hear it works well.

For any caliber SD sidearm, figure the FT/LBS Energy delivered to the target, (mass of bullet x velocity of round). This is your "stopping power" when combined with the 'area' of the bullet.

The area is the maximum expansion. This gives you the greatest amount of "Pain Inflicted" across the most area. (as opposed to 'killing power' as is required in hunting, but that is usually long gun business)
In cold weather, you may want a 'sealed' HP to prevent heavy clothing, etc from 'filling' the HP.

I am partial to compressed 12 shot lead with a metal jacket and a polymer ball in the HP to actually aid in expansion, after penetrating, with a +P load.
This can be found in the Corbon Power'Ball ammo. The polymer ball aids in feeding in semis,too.
The Hornady balistic tip ammo is very effective too.
For all aroud use, I like the Hornady XTP bullet, which is a JHP filled with polymer to prevent premature expansion.

For range ammo, I just use inexpensive FMJ, RN, Ball Ammo, since I don't need any expansion, but stay with the same bullet weight to avoid changing POI (sights).
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Previous

Return to Ammunition