>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Ideas for a new .45

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Ideas for a new .45

Postby lotsip81 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. I am thinking about trying to pick up a .45 and I am curious as to what the community here would like to give me for suggestions. The only stipulation I have is i am trying to keep it under $800.

I look forward to seeing what ideas you guys can come up with for me. :D
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Re: Ideas for a new .45

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:15 pm

I would suggest an authentic Colt Series 70 Mk IV Government Model. I have one of the originals and it's stock as a rock and just as tough. It's not a high dollar Kimber but they didn't have Kimbers when I got my Colt back in 1978. It is still 95% and is completely reliable. You should be able to find one at a show or you can look at the new Colt models that are Series 70 copies. You won't be sorry and you should be able to find one in your price range. If you're looking for a .45 and don't have a specific model in mind, you should check the Glock 21 and the Springfield XDm. Both are very nice handguns!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:19 pm

I would love to own a 1911 Colt, but as you say, it is a bit out of my price range at the moment, wife and kids are expenseive! :D

I had looked at some of the Kimbers, but I am not a big fan of having to use a tool to take my pistol down. I'd hate to have forgotten that little thing and then have to end my range day early just for that. I really am leaning toward the 1911 platform, but it doesn't seem to matter much who the manufacturer is they are all kind of on the steep side.

I am just debating on whether or not to maybe look at a used model before I pay full retail price for one. I have never owned a 1911, and that is a good chunk of change not knowing whether I will like it or not.
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:12 pm

I can find you a Colt 1911 in your price range. You let me know when you're ready!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby GOANRA » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Bud's sells a lot of these Rock Island Armory GI Mil-Spec .45s for about $410. delivered. That leaves you a lot of room to personalize it as the $ come in.
They get great ratings. They're out of stock now, but you can resserve one.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539079/Rock+Island+Armory+GI+M1911A1+Mil+Spec+.45
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:15 pm

That's an excellent suggestion Go! I like the way you think and as usual you've delivered an excellent idea and opportunity for anyone serious about getting into the 1911 arena. Good job old friend!! I hope anyone looking to get their foot in the door of big bore semi's, this is a perfect opportunity for a small(er) amount out of pocket. Thanks for the information!! :D

tigwelder56

Postby pastorfarley » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:30 am

It looks like a number of other Phillipine manufacturers are getting into the 1911 business. I find the compact models intriguing. They seem to understand that 3.25/3.5 is the shortest barrel that gives broad reliability in the 45 ACP. They also fit my budget, and a single stack 45 should be enough for most non-law enforcement/military purposes.
pastorfarley

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi Pastor, good to talk with you again! It has been awhile, hope all is well and of course I wish you a Merry Christmas!! Maybe Santa will deliver one of those new compact 1911's!

You're absolutely right about the market seeing a flood of Philippine manufactured 1911's. I've handled a few and they are certainly worth a look. Like anything you go in search of, if a low price is one of the requirements, just remember that quality can suffer as a result of it. However, many of these big bore's will fill most people's requirements and do it well. They aren't a Match quality handgun but an adequate self defense gun(?), yes. Like everything else, a thorough shake down and reliability check is required. But these handguns can and do meet the requirements and they do it for a very attractive price! You're going to find more pistols available with 5" barrels than you will 3", but they're available. Rock Island Armory, Century Arms Intl., Armscor and American Tactical Imports are a few I'm aware of. American Tactical has a 7 round FX45 Titan, with a 3.18" bull barrel on the market among others. Buds Gun Shop has them on their website under $500 bucks.

I got the bug to purchase a compact .45 recently as well. I paid a bit more than $500 but did it willingly and am happy with the decision. I bought the Kahr PM 45 and it's my EDC now. They don't offer a big magazine capacity (5) but I carry it with one in the pipe and an extra mag. That's adequate for me but I know some would rather carry an ammo supply shop with them. In that case, these single stacks don't fit their requirements. Kahr also offers the CW 45 now which is several hundred dollars less than the PM and has a few differences, but they're close. Fabulous handgun and as compact as a .45 auto gets. If you're looking at other .45 compacts, you should look at the Springfield Armory models too. The XDS is another decent offering, just be sure it's a post recall model. They had a problem but claim to have that resolved. It's an accurate pistol, scary accurate!! Have fun shopping and shooting, it's a buyers market out there now!!

tigwelder56

Postby WickHun » Tue May 02, 2017 1:18 am

GOANRA wrote:Bud's sells a lot of these Rock Island Armory GI Mil-Spec .45s for about $410. delivered. That leaves you a lot of room to personalize it as the $ come in.
They get great ratings. They're out of stock now, but you can resserve one.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411539079/Rock+Island+Armory+GI+M1911A1+Mil+Spec+.45

Seems pretty cheap. It might be a good option thanks.
WickHun

Postby BertieKerter1 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 am

Your posting solved my problem.
BertieKerter1

Return to Gun Chatter