>
Board Index Serious Shooters Military & Police

new pistol for the military

Discuss assualt and tactical techniques, law enforcement, militia, and other combat and security topics.

Postby louismacote » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:11 pm

Symbolically speaking, I think it would be great if the US Army actually issued and AMERICAN handgun. Though this is not an entirely logical point of view, sometimes it is good to just make a point. With China using our economy like a cheap whore, it would sure be nice to have and American hand gun become popular again.
louismacote

Postby g4l » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Hey do some Soldiers get Their own pistols in somehow? I saw a picture of two US Soldiers in Iraq, both had the pistols on a chest holster, one was a Beratta but I think the other looked like a Glock grip. And if so is that frowned upon or do the Superiors understand or take consideration if Someone requests a type of weapon?
g4l

Postby g4l » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:09 pm

I saw a show on Discovery or History where a few Soldiers did have their own Hand weapons, but could only use hardball ammo, or they would get in trouble, they said anyway? They said they sneak in Hollow Points in their Rifles when they know it's going to be a bad day, or make their own grooves in the ammo supplied.

1 guy had a Pearl Handled S&W 357, but could only use 38's in it. He actually found it over there after a battle with the Iraqis!
g4l

Postby lotsip81 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:18 pm

I was under the impression that it had to be a NATO approved weapon and a NATO approved round other wise it was deep shit if they got caught. At least that is what I was told by a friend of mine who was involved in the ammuntions and ranges departments.
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 pm

I really don't know the Rules. Your probably right. They were a little Drunk when interviewed. They just said it was deep shit if they used Hollow Points, but they did it anyway. But they had a special where they were talking to a group of Soldiers, and this is what they all said. Only 1, the guy with the 357 showed his gun because he as I thought it was wierd he found it over there on an Iraqi. I guess when your ass is on the line, you do what you feel best doing?

His Father sends him ammo.

I know if I was there I would want my Backup to be my gun that I am used to, but I was never in the Service and don't know how bad is bad enough in battle?
lotsip81

Postby DOCB » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:16 pm

glocks, for the most part you cannot bring your personal weapon. i know a few years ago some unit's commanders would let their guys bring personals if they were 9mm. i'm not 100% sure but i think it is a theater wide rule that no more personal weapons are allowed. of course that doesnt apply to the spec-op guys, since they do pretty much whatever the hell they want.

some militay are actually issued different sidearms other than the m-9. i've seen it mostly with the intelligence guys. mostly sigs and glock 19's.

i know if we could have personal weapons over here, i would love to have my glock 20!
DOCB

Postby DOCB » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:05 pm

The guys I saw were not wearing them at the time. I think they probably only take them with them if they are going into a fight and know it, or maybe they are in their Backpacks?

The guy who showed his 357 pulled it out of his shirt. Not a Holster. I have no idea of the actual Rules.
DOCB

Postby louismacote » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:27 am

As of 2005 when I had my last tour with the Army, personal weapons were strictly forbidden, and punished with an article15 if pursued. HOWEVER, numerous people brought their own Berretta 9mm, Mossberg 500A, and sawed off shotguns. This did not apply to your air conditioning paper pushers, but guys hunting bad people. Duffle bags are not inspected, so non spec shotguns have been slipped into them. THe key was not bringing back a non spec gun. Most guys just bought their own Mossber 12ga because that was general issue of 2 per squad. Some brought sawed offs, kept them on the down low, and left them there. Dirty I know, but damn if uncle same doesn't listen when you say you need more shotguns!!!!! Some guys brought their own berrettas openly, but noone made a fus because they used same as issue models and holsters, so as not to be noticed. YES, HPs are common after the first two rounds in both rifles and pistols. God help us if we try and do our job the best we can.
louismacote

Postby Muzacdude » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:06 am

Springfield's XD line recently came out with the manual safety. There's your American-Manufacturer that has a line running in 9mm, .40, .357 sig, or .45!
Muzacdude

Postby lotsip81 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:43 pm

It may be an American manufaturer (which is an idea I like extremely), but on the polymer frame its says " Made in Crotia". At least mine did. I think that the maual saftey is a nice touch though, even if they dont get a military contract. It just lets them reach out to a more diverse group of people, who want more than just the grip saftey. S&W has the M&P which is also supposed to be coming out with a maual saftey...(it is out already for the .45 cal, I believe).
lotsip81

PreviousNext

Return to Military & Police