>
Board Index Serious Shooters Military & Police

Words of advice for new or potential enlistees

Discuss assualt and tactical techniques, law enforcement, militia, and other combat and security topics.

Words of advice for new or potential enlistees

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:13 pm

I am thinking very strongly about enlisting in the military. Are there any words of advice anyone would like to share with me or anyone else who may be thinking along these lines? I appreciate all your thoughts and comments.

Thanks

Lot
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Hello my Friend! Your decision is a very wise and responsible one IMO. The important thought for me is to ask you simply, is it something you truly want to do? I can tell you that it's the patriotic thing to do and the right thing to do during war time but what is truly important is it what YOU want to do. Are you married? If so, do you have the support of your wife? Does your family support you? When you raise your right hand and swear to protect your country with your life, forsaking all others, it needs to be a choice you're ready to make. You make a choice to follow the orders of someone that you may not agree with. But when you're told to do something, you must do it without hesitation, without question. You end a life of civilian law and obey to follow the Uniform Code of Military Justice. There are differences. They aren't difficult to obey as long as you go into it with the understanding that you answer to another higher power besides God, no questions asked.

The Navy life was some of the best years of my life and I wouldn't hesitate to slap the Caduece back on my shoulder and return to duty if asked. My wife and I both were Navy Corpsman. It's where we met. I can say without hesitation that my Military family and friends are without question the finest people I have ever known. A civilian that hasn't served can't imagine the bond you develop with your Military brothers and sisters.

Those years are a positively irreplaceable part of my life and I wouldn't hesitate telling you to make that choice if it's what you want to do. You'll meet the best people in your life and will always have the support of people like myself. Good luck my Friend!!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby lotsip81 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Yes, it defintely is something that I am wanting to do. I am truly fortunate that I am married to a wonderful woman who supports me in eveything that I do. All of my family is supportive of what I want to do, even if they themsleves don't agree. So yes, I do have the supports of those who matter most to me. I understand that I may not always like or agree with the orders that may be given to me, but just like every other job, "you gotta do what da boss says!!" lololol It nice to hear that you evjoyed the time that you served, it seems like with most people I know, it is one extreme or the other. They either loved or hated being in the service, never much of a middle ground. I know that I would enjoy the comrodary that comes with being brothers in arms. Thanks for the response Tig, muchly appreciated, if you have more stories that you want to share....go right ahead. That goes for the rest of you guys as well. Bring on the advice or the stories, I'd enjoy to hear them all.

Thanks again

Lot
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:35 pm

Doesn't anyone else have some information that they'd like to share with me or anyone else? I really thought that this thread would take off.....I guess its not as hot of a topic as I thought it would be.
lotsip81

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:42 am

Lot, I don't want you to think of this as a dull or cold topic. It is anything but that. I don't want you to consider any less of your choice to make this decision because you're not getting replies to your questions. It hasn't started yet, you've lit the fuse and you have to wait. I firmly believe that there are several people that are watching this thread, hoping to see answers to their own thoughts and questions. It's war time and people are concerned greatly about their decision to enlist. If they aren't already on active duty, they are people like you, wondering what might be around the next corner. It's an honorable decision to serve your country, brave, and I have nothing but respect for every man or woman that makes the decision to join. I'd like to ask any active duty members or Vets to step forward and share your thoughts with Lotsip81, positive or negative. We need positive reinforcement to boost the number of enlistee's. I don't think anyone wants to see the Draft reinstated, it shouldn't be necessary. We need more patriotism, willingness to fight for what we've got and a desire to kick all these no good SOB's out of our country.

I could talk about this forever but I won't drag my opinion out. Not yet anyway. We have got to support and encourage the young people in the USA to get involved in it's Military. While we spend time now discussing the support we need to show young Americans regarding Military service, we also need to emphasize the need for everyone to support our US Constitution, especially our right to keep and bear arms. If we don't fight for our rights at home we're not helping those on foreign soil fighting to protect our rights here. We have to all get with it people! Support our troops and encourage people who are considering the commitment.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby lrgcal4fun » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi Lot,

I think that Tig gave you the best advice possible: be sure its what you want to do and that you are comfortable with taking orders is life and death situations.

I have never served, I was screened out by back problems that developed at an early age. What I share next comes from my work as a minister. We "reverend" types, hear stories from Vets and Cops that they might not even tell to their fellows.

If you feel that it is your place to stand between innocent people and the worst hell humans can create on this earth, then sign up. If what I'm saying sounds like anti-military rhetoric, you aren't ready to make the decision. If what I'm saying sounds exciting and heroic, you aren't ready to make the decision.

If you are able to accept the good and bad, the risks and rewards, of service during a time of war, then go. And know that my prayers and support are with you!
lrgcal4fun

Postby lotsip81 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Thank you for that wonderful bit of insight. I am sure that as a "reverend" type, you do hear many awful and horrible stories. I can only hope that you get to see alot of joy and happiness as well. I can tell you this, I do not think of myself as a hero, never have, never will. I don't want to go to war for glory or riches, I just want to serve and protect my country and the ones that I love. To be the one who stands between my fellow Americans and hell on earth, to me is not anti-military, it sound like an honor to be able to do my duty and take care of all those thing that I love.

Thanks guys and keeps the info coming, your not only helping me, your also helping anyone else who may be reading in this thread.

lostip81
lotsip81

Postby SKTwithaClaymore » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:07 pm

I wish someone would have given me more advice before I joined. I could give you a novel of advice. I think you will have to specify things you would like advice on, otherwise it would be too much info for on here.

What branch are you going into? Maybe you said? Also what MOS/job? I am in the Army as a Scout so I know about the Army but not so much about Navy/Marines. Let me know if you want.
SKTwithaClaymore

Postby lotsip81 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:27 pm

I would be going into the Army. Probable MOS's would be; Light Wheel Mechanic, Machinist, or Generator Repair. As far as specific questions, here you go. How complicated is the initial move, paticularly if you are going to be moving a family? Do they explain it in detail when you get there? (I have gotten the general gist of it from my recruiter) As of right now I am drawing a blank on some of the question that I wanted answered, so I'll come back with them as I think of them. For now why don't you share some of the information that you know, that you would have found useful when you first went in. You said that you could've used some insight, so based off of that, what would you consider prudent information for me to have?

Thanks

Lot
lotsip81

Postby sfcret » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Unless they have changed things in last 14 years your family will not be allowed to join you till you have completed basic and your first school. Then when you get assigned to your fist duty station they can join you. The goverment should move your family from where you joined from to your first assignment.
sfcret

Next

Return to Military & Police