>
Board Index Serious Shooters Military & Police

cost of ammo

Discuss assualt and tactical techniques, law enforcement, militia, and other combat and security topics.

cost of ammo

Postby blacksonichorse » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:23 am

ok how come people go cheap with ammo that is going to protect your life if i was a cop or solider i would be fighting to carry a bigger caliber. you cant choose what the other person is carrying so we should be prepared
blacksonichorse

Postby GOANRA » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Many folks just don't know the difference.

There is so much to learn.

Others just don't want to deal with recoil.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby blacksonichorse » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 pm

i think that if you cant deal with the recoil then the gun wont protect you it the person that hurts people not the gun
blacksonichorse

Postby BrianB » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:40 pm

Huh? I am not really following you.

I would agree that if you can't handle the recoil then its not the best gun for you. That would also explain why people don't always go with the biggest caliber they can get their hands on as it would be better to hit with a 9mm than miss with a .45. (or whatever)

I can't say I am 100% correct but from some of the things I have read and some of the LEOs I have talked to, alot of them have weapons issued to them by the department and thats what they are supposed to use. Politics seem to be a part of the issue. (or maybe some had a choice and/or could supply their own gun) There have been many through the years that have wanted larger caliber guns and changes have been gone through such as moving from .38s to 9mm to .40 etc.

For the average citizen though whatever is carried has to be concealed so that is a limiting factor for some also with recoil and budget and perhaps many other factors in mind.
BrianB

Postby blacksonichorse » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:35 pm

true but what it cost to shoot these days is unbelievable so i kind of get it but sometimes a 9mm just doesn't have the power. the leo is issued there weapons and if they get into a battle they wiil have to switch to there shotgun or rifle.
blacksonichorse

Postby whitehood » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:02 am

I have to disagree. The 9mm does just fine in the majority of gunfights and while it gives up a few points in % stopping power, it makes up for it in accuracy, controllability and less flash in low light situations. If you can get them, the 147 +P's will perform almost to the level of the 357 Sig.
whitehood

Postby blacksonichorse » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:01 am

ok the 357 is a big round but why does it have amazing accuracy in a revolver i mean i see some people at the range that are accurate and some people just cant hit no matter how many shots they take
blacksonichorse

Postby BrianB » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Hmm, not sure I have the proper vocabulary to explain this but will give it a try. Maybe someone here will correct me if I say it wrong.

So, giving it a shot -

The size of the round would not be the problem when it comes to accuracy, it would come down to proper training and mechanics. That is why a person needs to learn how to shoot a gun before going out and buying the biggest and meanest caliber gun they can afford. It doesn't matter if you are shooting a 22 or a 44 magnum, if you don't know how to hold the gun and pull the trigger correctly you are not going to hit squat unless you are lucky and even then it takes a lot of practice knowing just how to do it to be consistently good at it.

When my wife and I started shooting she talked me into us both taking a beginners gun safety and shooting class from a certified instructor. I felt kind of silly about it at the time but after taking it I felt it was invaluable and I would suggest doing the same to anyone and I would do so for you as well. I had no idea how much I didn't know. You will learn a ton of info in a surprisingly short time and many questions like this one will be answered for you without you asking or even thinking of the question.

When I took my CHL class recently there were several people who did not own their own gun and a couple of ladies who had never even shot a gun before. One in particular was only their because her daughter paid for the class for her. Since my class had so many we had to split into two groups, I was in the second so had to wait till the first got done attempting to qualify. This gave me the value of watching how things went before I had to step up to the plate. Anyways, there was a huge difference in the quality of shooting between those that knew how to shoot and those that did not. The two ladies who had never shot a gun before did not qualify, even at just a few yards away from their target they could not hit it because they did not know the proper mechanics of shooting and had not practiced those mechanics.

So basically, you have a lot of learning to do. Don't be ashamed to do whats necessary to learn how to do things correctly as it will by far pay for itself in the long run and keep you from looking like an idiot at the range or save your life in a real life threatening situation.

That reminds me to take the next step and take some of the more advanced classes.
BrianB

Postby blacksonichorse » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:14 pm

i will try to find a class i think i might find a 9mm or a 40 smith&Weston any suggestion i looking for something with a double action and can be modified
blacksonichorse

Postby BrianB » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Plenty of good suggestions in the other thread. As to modifying it, probably better to ask there as well and perhaps explain what types of modifications you are interested in making.
BrianB

Next

Return to Military & Police