>
Board Index Miscellany Legal & Political

THERE IS NO GUN CONTROL JUST RESTRICTIONS

Get informed and debate about civil rights and legal issues such as concealed carry, self-defense, and gun control.

THERE IS NO GUN CONTROL JUST RESTRICTIONS

Postby romans10:9 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Here in Michigan a Bill is now on the floor for making it impossible for anyone that has a history of mental illness not able to obtain a CCW License. I think this is a excellant idea but most of your homicides are from someone obtaining a stolen gun or illegal sales on the street.My point is all the bills can be passed for the law abiding citizens but the illegal idividual will always have the firearm of there choice.
romans10:9

Postby jdeangelis99 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:07 pm

I agree..I think there alot of stupid restictions that prevent good people from protecting themself. LIke why is there a ban of Hi cap mags??
jdeangelis99

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:27 pm

I'm not so sure I'm opposed to restricting the ability of a person with a history of mental illness from having a gun, let alone a carry permit.

For your criminal statement, yes they'll always use whatever means they can to make it easier for them to commit their crime. But I already have to worry about criminals I dont want to have to worry about the crazy with a gun!
beltbuckle

Postby jdeangelis99 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 pm

I deff agree belt.. I think people with mental illness should not have a gun..I refused to sign for my friend to get a gun because he went to a mental hospital because he wanted to die.. I really don't think that all people should have guns..I would even agree for myself to have a psych test
jdeangelis99

Postby MartyG » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:42 am

There are mental health issues that warrant the denial of one's 2nd Amendment rights. Paranoia, schizophrenia, anything laced with homicidal or suicidal tendencies.

On the other hand, there are a zillion of garden-variety depressions, and even bipolar depression is not always threatening.

I've seen people taking anti-depressants because a child or spouse died, or just for the fear of an upcoming operation.

Somehow, the call needs to be the recommendation of the attending physician. Is this person a threat to others, or self, or not?

I don't like anything being broad-brushed as "mental health issues." There are too many, too varied, most non-threatening, and we could potentially deny rights to people who were not deserving of losing them. This is exactly what the military is coping with right now.

Tell your doc that you're bummed at work, or stressed, and let him give you a pill to feel better. Whammo! You've got a mental health history.
MartyG

Postby jdeangelis99 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:48 am

Im not talking about lil stupid crap..Im talking about like that guy at VA Tech They knew he was a threat but government didnt look that he had a past with mental issues that was threatining to people and himself
jdeangelis99

Postby MartyG » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:14 pm

jd, we agree on the VA Tech case, that people like that should not be allowed to purchase weapons, or get a CCH. The problem is that the "govt" DID look, when it did the background check, but found nothing. The Mental Health community did not disclose this information to the data base. They considered it private. Those kinds of things are being fixed as we speak. My concern is that the pendulum might swing the other way, and ANY mental health issues at all, even the "lil stupid crap," might deny somebbody their constitutional rights for no good, valid reason.
MartyG

Postby sittingmoose10.31_51shaman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Act-chilly, and one will,actually.The Mentally/Emotionally'challenged' Patient has various 'Rights' issues. Many out in the Great Wide Open do not want to be involved in a Legal Action on the part of the said Patient so a ' sale 'is conducted. And this does not cover the Black Market, either. If he/she is foaming at the mouth, babbling utterances from the Netherworld, and constantly referring to a mysterious "THEY", finally asking all present,"cigarette?"It would be advisable to refuse , GENTALLY lead Mr. Napolian to the door...And close the Store!
sittingmoose10.31_51shaman

Postby S&W910 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Gun Control means using Both hands and a firm stance.
S&W910

Postby vulpes-trapper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:54 pm

What about someone who had had depression issues, but is on med and hasn't had problems in many years? Also they never actually hurt themselves or another either. Never been in a hospital for it. The truth is most mentally ill people, even hospitilzed ones are actually non violent. The VA tech killer is actually an extreme rarity. He had obvious rage issues along with depression/ obessive- complusive disorder or some other disorder, and lost control. He had been simmering for years I bet.

I fear that at some point the anti gun idiots will try to make a law that someone with very mild mental disorders or who had at one time such a disorder ( either then being treated with simple med(s) that erased it, or in time their chemistry changed and the disorder faded) will have their medical record opened as part of the back ground check, then be denied to be able to buy a firearm or get a CCW permit. Do you think that would be fair?

I do know that bipolar and scitzophrenia tend to worsten over time, but some people respond so well to meds for these that they continue taking them ( who wants to go back to what they were before?) and act as normal law abiding people.

Thoughts?
vulpes-trapper

Next

Return to Legal & Political