>
Board Index Miscellany Legal & Political

open carry or concealed carry

Get informed and debate about civil rights and legal issues such as concealed carry, self-defense, and gun control.

open carry or concealed carry

Postby who_dat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Does anyone have knowledge of whether you lose your right to open carry when you get a concealed license? Michigan is an open carry state, I have a CPL (concealed pistol license), but would consider open carry as an alternative or as a backup. Any ideas?
who_dat

Postby who_dat » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:58 pm

I wish all were Open Carry! No need to hide it, especially if you live in warmer climates, and I know a Cop would rather know you are carrying a Gun if pulled over than not!

I don't know the answer to your question, but would imagine you lost nothing. Only was given the privledge to conceal a Gun.
who_dat

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:08 pm

You do not lose your right to open carry with a license in any state that allows open carry.

In states like Ohio; when we got the ccw, it is now required you have to have a ccw license to open carry a handgun.
beltbuckle

Postby S&W910 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:41 pm

only one problem with open carry they want to clear the weapon and all that shit and not all police officers are knowledgeable on much more then there duty weapon.
S&W910

Postby B.Stringbean » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:37 pm

I live in Colorado where open carryis ( for the most part) legal, and its been my experince that open carry causes far more problems than it solves & draws far more attention to a person than I care to have drawn to me
B.Stringbean

Postby shawn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:26 pm

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Open carry is legal here but I would not do it. It is one of those things that while technically legal will still get you at least detained by police. All someone has to do is call 911 about "a man with a gun". They will get you on disturbing the peace if nothing else. And I dont really diagree. You have to be sensitive to the culture you are in. I probally would totally freak out my nice neighborhood, nice part of town, liberal neighbors if they saw me cleaning my AK in the front yard. I think of carrying concield as the polite way to be armed in my area. With Fast Eddie in the governors house I am happy to have that option. I certainly dont want to attrcat that kind of attention! Or, even if I didnt get detained by the police, the stupid questions people ask.
shawn

Postby B.Stringbean » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:39 pm

As you said it depends on the culture and area you're in here in Colorado in the city there are a few who open carry and they are generally considered troublemakers or mall commandos, in the back country its probably more common to see someone armed than unarmed , I have run into several bears in the Backcountry but in each case using my gun would have gotten me into more trouble than it would have gotten me out of
B.Stringbean

Postby who_dat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:30 pm

I appreciate all your replies and information, but my question is directly related to the loss of rights of one method if the other is chosen. So, to open carry, must I not have a concealed license, and if I get a concealed license, do I lose the right to open carry?

I think this is probably a state issue, so if anyone knows Michigan law, I welcome comments. Most likely, the state attorney's office is the only one who would be able to answer this.
who_dat

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Lets put it plain and simple. I've done much reading on Michigan law now that you've asked your question...

Open carry- legal, but with restrictions of where you can carry

concealed carry- legal if you have a permit (CPL), with restrictions of where you can carry.

open carry for a CPL holder- legal if you have a permit (CPL), with restrictions of where you can carry.
beltbuckle

Postby who_dat » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:40 am

Thanks, but it's not that simple. For example, CPL or concealed carry in a hospital is forbidden. Open Carry is not addressed, so can a CPL holder open carry in a hospital? The AG says yes. The NRA instructor said once you have a CPL, you lose your right to Open Carry, and Open Carry has different pistol free zones than a CPL holder. The differences are minor, but do they mean you can do one or the other, or both? That's why I said I'll try the Attorney General's office.
who_dat

Next

Return to Legal & Political