>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Carry Condition Preference Survey

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby JustBen » Mon May 23, 2011 12:40 pm

MFF; I am finally catching on to your humor. Forgive me I am a little slow. Old age is my excuse.

The other problem with the 340CT is that it will bust off your wrist. I have only shot about 20 rounds through it about a year ago and my wrist is still not right.

I hope I never get in a situation where I need to use it, but it generally will not jam when trying to light one off in a bad guy while rolling around on the ground. Forget the acurracy, this one is basically a set of brass knuckles that go bang. And what a bang it is.
JustBen

Postby MightyFoFaad » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 am

@ justben:

I hear ya. Years ago I owned a beautiful 6" Colt Python. It's actually bigger than you might think until you shoot it. I have a big hand, but with short thick fingers (no, I'm not a mongoloid) & I found it very hard to comfortably shoot it in DA. So I sold it to a very close friend who drooled over the gun.

Tell you the truth, IMHO the .357 is a single purpose round. The .357 mag was actually developed for highway cops, so they could shoot thru car doors ... their .38's weren't getting the job done. And, if you notice, altho many dept's were using them 50 years ago, I don't think any cops are authorized to use them today.

The problem was, they shot thru cars doors okay, but, they shot thru everything else as well. Walls, ceilings & people. I guess after a few law suits, all the municipalities said ixnay on the .357's.

Now the other side of the coin is .357's in snub nosed guns. I've seen ballistic tables that show there isn't a lot more power coming out of a 2" barrel with a .357 vs. a .38+P. The .357 really needs a full six inches to "utilize" that super blast. Out of a 2" barrel, most of that explosion is just lighting up the air.

Think not? Go out at night some time & fire one of those .357's out of your snubby. When you see how much flash is coming out between the cylinder & the forcing cone, and out of the muzzle ... you'll probably drop the gun. LOL

So that's the way I see it. Outside of it's original intent, I really don't see a purpose for a .357 mag. It's too powerful for a close people shooter, & not powerful enough for hunting; the .44 mag has that covered. Just saying.
MightyFoFaad

Postby ke7zem » Tue May 24, 2011 3:00 am

have to admit, for a serious combat sidearm, easy and reliable with not much to think about, I think of the Glock. It's the revolver of semi-autos'! Last stat I heard is around 65% of Law Enforcement Agencies carry one form of Glock or another. The best set up I think I've had for carry is the Glock mod 22 with the open top Desantis Holster. They are not the best looking, or nostalgic, they are built for simple, reliable, combat situations with large capacity mags, and a light/lazer rail. All you have to do is draw and pull the trigger! (oh, try to aim first)! I like well built, classic firearms as well, like the 1911 and the Beretta. Don't get me wrong, when you know these guns in and out they are just as good or better than the Glock, but since I enjoy the sport of shooting and quality machine's, and so far thank God I have never had to use a gun against someone else, I get the ones for looks, style, craftsmanship, and fun to shoot!
ke7zem

Postby Rerun201 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Primary - Beretta PX4 full size, decocked and on safe, 1 in the pipe, full magazine, in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder IWB holster, or Bianchi Shadow pancake holster

Secondary - Glock 36, 1 in the pipe, full mag, in a Tucker Texas Heritage IWB rig, Bianchi Shadow Pancake, or Bianchi Ranger Triad ankle holster on rare occasions.

Always carry at least 1 extra mag with my semi-autos. Two with the Glock.

Special need - Charter Arms Undercover in .38 special, fully loaded, in my pocket, Fobus standard belt holster or Fubus ankle holster, with 2 additional reloads in speed strips.

If I buy a gun with a safety, I use it.
Rerun201

Postby Gloc9mm » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 am

"" I think of the Glock. It's the revolver of semi-autos'!""

I have to agree with that statement. I have owned a G-19 for many Yrs. now and Carry it daily. I've put many thousands of Rounds thru it W/O even 1 FTE or FTL. I have even purposely tried to limp wrist it, not clean it and do everything else within reason to try to make it fail and it never has. They will fire any type of junk Ammo you can buy to practice with and I am totally sold on their reliability. The only problem is I have been lulled into feeling it will never fail, and it's been Yrs. since I have even practiced clearing it just in case! I know if I was a Cop I would want only a Glock. It's too bad that in this Day and Age there are not more Weapons that are as reliable.
Gloc9mm

Postby JustBen » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:41 pm

Practicing clearing jams is important. You can put empty brass in your magazine forwards and backwards randomly and simulate a jam. I put a live round in backwards by accident one time at a range. That was a tough one to clear and clear fast. Double feeds are also really tough to clear fast. My Glock23 jams every now and then, especially when under stressful situations. I know they are good guns, but you cannot count on yourself not causing the jam. Again, practice is important.
JustBen

Postby ulgydog56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:10 pm

ya or try practice with snap caps..........
ulgydog56

Postby ke7zem » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:06 pm

all in all it comes down to preference and efficiancy. Some like the full 5 inch M1911 .45 cal (like I do), some like the Glock 19, which is a compact version of the Glock 17, in fact, it's barrel is only .5" shorter than the 17 chambered in 9mm. Hi cap mags and hot self defense loads make this a good choice. I have the Glock 22 gen 3 chambered in 40 S&W which is a GREAT intermediate round from the 9mm to the .45 and is what most Government agencies and police agencies shoot, there is a good reason for that. All in all I encourage people to look at some actual cases of recorded episodes of self defence, what kind of gun and rounds they had, how many shots they had to fire (if any). A good source that I found is the American Rifleman that comes every month as part of my NRA membership. They have several real stories about people who actually had to defend themselves. The reason I say this, if you don't know all the laws pertaining to self defense with a gun in your state, you could be the one behind bars!!!. any gun that holds and shoots ammo is a good self defense gun. noted in one case, an eldery women heard someone brake into her house, she picked up a single action revolver chambered in .22LR and she shot at the intruder 3 times, she might have hit him once and he fled the scene only to be caught later on. The idea of self defense is NOT to go Rambo and kill someone because they broke in your house, you use enough force to end the threat and that's it. Otherwise you can be charged yourself! I read about a case that a criminal broke into someones house, or was on there property unwanted and the home owner used a gun against him, the criminal took this man to court and won a civil case. You can find all the details in issues of the American Rifleman. For my home protection I have an M1911A1 .45 with 3 mags full of SJHP Golden Sabre rounds, a Mossberg 500 pump action 12 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip and 18.5" barrel with the tube loaded with six, 2and3/4" 000 buck, a surefire 200 lumen flashlight ready to go. when I go out i have a Beretta Model 84FS chambered in 9 short with 13+1 in a belt holster and another 13 round mag in my pocket. That is more than enough to protect myself, my family, and friends from any would be robber. If he has a gun pointed at your face and wants your car, you give it too him, it doesn't matter if your carrying a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm, if he has the drop on you it's over. If my wife or children were in the car, I would fight to the death to save them, if he wants my car, my wallet, take it, it's too late. If he has a knife, that's a different story, bring a knife to a gun fight and see what happens.. The best self defense and safety is awareness, and its in your own head. think ahead, plan ahead, avoid any suspicious situation, your not supposed to be out there with a chip on your shoulder looking for a fight, if you are that type, your giving the rest of us a bad name.

sincerely,

Richard
ke7zem

Postby Rerun201 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:19 am

Just Ben an Ugly Dog 56-

I've successfully used unprimed and uncharged cartridges in the past with great success. I have a friend who reloads. I have some .38 specials, 9mm and .45 cal dummies that I randomly load into the cylinder/magazine to practice misfires and clearance drills. Paint the face of the cartridge red and store them separately from your ammo to avoid confusion.
Rerun201

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:34 am

NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Concealed Carry