>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

Open carry in Texas ???

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

Postby john118242 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:21 pm

as for people calling 911 for panic and all that the more it happens the more common they will get with guns simple it will stop happening
john118242

Postby HadEmAll » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I've lived in Texas all my non-military life, and I hope open carry never comes to pass in Texas.

I think that proponents of open carry think that carrying a visible handgun will be a deterrent of some sort, and it just isn't that way. Cops "open carry" and it doesn't prevent them being attacked on a routine basis.

I think open carry is an advertisement for who to attack first. I guarantee that any handgun I see, I could have if I felt like resorting to crime to get it. And I'm one of the good guys. As Brian said below, you can't watch your back at all times, and don't have eyes in the back of your head.

I don't want the bad guy(s) to know about my pistol until I want them to know about it.

Concealed carry is wonderful. I have carried every possible moment since the CHL program came to be in Texas in '96.

I feel horribly sorry for those who live in cities/states where it is forbidden.
HadEmAll

Postby SW-Insured » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:21 am

SW-Insured

Postby ulgydog56 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 pm

michigan as it turns out is open carry .it slipped under the radar he,he...a few brave souls started to o/c and the local pds,authorities had to retrain there people to deal with it,i love this country when it works right......sa for myself i would rather cc,don,t want anybody targeting me..........
ulgydog56

Postby smith6906 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:32 pm

i OC daily. not for political statement, using my rights, pissing off the liberals. but simply because i cant get my CCW yet due to lack of availablity of courses where i live. just a way to carry my weapon legally without going to prison.

i know OC is getting a bad rep from alot of the OC groups out there, most of them have a second adgenda to prove something, insult someone, or thumb their nose at the system. and some of them even do it to harass police and cost them their jobs. which i think is a horrible thing.

However some of us do it cause its all we have really, we want to defend ourselves, preserve our lives, and the lives of those we care about. so OC works well. and if done right its completely safe. Not a deterrant in any way but you do have to admit. a gun makes someone think twice. not all people but some. and what i've noticed through personal exp. is most dirt bags want to stay clear of someone who is OCing. especially if you dress well. they assume your something else.

i've walked through the nastiest neighborhoods in my state. the low lives usually avoid eye contact, and walk in the opposite direction. not to mention anyone who OC's with self respect doesnt just train with their weapon. they train how to protect it, and most of us can easily turn a working arm , into a broken one if someone reaches for our weapon, we take it as the same threat as a .357 to the face. and usually will react accordingly . so if you do it properly, its rather safe. and in 7 years of OCing i've never had the police called on me once....and i live in MAINE lol liberals all over the place. people are not affraid of a visible gun if the person carrying it dresses, acts and speaks in a respectable mannor. its the 18 year old kids wearing a glock in a thigh rig , sideways hat and call everyone dawg that scares ppl :-p

not bashing CC whatsoever. i love cc and if i could find a course here in Maine before july......i would get my ccw lol But for now its responsible OC for me :-)
smith6906

Postby HadEmAll » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:04 pm

smith6906:

I read my "rant" again and realized it was delivered completely from the standpoint of open carry when concealed carry is available.

If concealed carry was not available, and open carry was, that would open a whole new chapter in my thought process.

I would do exactly as you do if that were the case in Texas. And I agree the way you carry yourself has almost all to do with how you are perceived by the "bad guys".

I will attempt to research it myself, but would you happen to know if open carry in Maine is available to non-residents? I know Maine does not have reciprocity with Texas on concealed carry. I have always wanted to visit, but generally confine my travels to the many states that do have reciprocity with Texas.
HadEmAll

Postby SW-Insured » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 am

smith6906:

I agree with HadEmAll. Given your situation, with no other options available, you are doing what you have to do.

Though some BGs may shy away from you -- a cowardly, unseen BG could target you unexpectedly. Watch your back.
SW-Insured

Postby smith6906 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm

yes had em. maines preemption for OC does not classify residents and non residents. no matter where you are from if you can legally own a firearm by federal standards you can legally OC in maine. however there are a few citys to be careful while doing so in the state. portland and lewiston have a huge track record of harassing and arresting/disarming lawful open carriers. so OCing in those two towns is basically going to ruin your day lol

and regards to SW. i know what you mean. thats why most of us here train over and over in ti kwan do, krav-maga and other combat methods. we use our firearms as last ditch effort resolutions, just as those who CC do. but we make sure that we can defend our weapon, as well as our weapon can defend us :-).

i personally love OC. and i love the fact that i have the right to do it. i just wish some of the people who OC would give more thought into how they do it, where they do it and how they carry themselves not just their firearms.

A person dressed in black shoes, dress pant, button up shirt, clean hair and good attitude who is OCing is not going to scare the public. however someone dressed up like a punk. foul language and attitude would scare anyone. with or without a weapon. I hope someday OC is legalized in all states so that those of us who are responsible and respectable, who have the dicipline and knowldge to do so safely, can carry their weapons openly. and to all of you that already do. stay safe. and to those who dont. stay safe as well :-)
smith6906

Postby HadEmAll » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:53 pm

smith,

It appears that carrying openly legally is okay, as you say, but you have to unload the pistol before riding or driving in a motor vehicle. It appears you can only carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle with a concealed carry permit. Is that true?
HadEmAll

Previous

Return to Concealed Carry