>
Board Index Serious Shooters Concealed Carry

2 conceal carry questions.

For those legally permitted to carry a weapon or wanting to obtain their concealed pistol license.

2 conceal carry questions.

Postby ding2134 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:35 am

I have heard of, but never saw anything in writing about a couple "laws" friends advised me of recently. If carrying concealed in your pants pocket, does your gun have to be in a holster inside your pocket?

The next question is for carrying in general and not just conceal. Is it illegal to have a round chambered when not in use and just being concealed, carried, or in my vehicle perhaps? This doesn't make sense to me because if you have a loaded revolver, a round is essentially chambered I seem to think. Thank you for everybody's time and input Im advance, I hope to get some input.
ding2134

Postby JustBen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Question #1 - YES. Always use a holster for legal and safety reasons.

Question #2 - YES. Always keep a round loaded in the chamber if you are carrying. In the event of an attack, you will never have enough time to chamber a round. If you cannot deploy and fire your gun acurrately in less than 2 seconds, you will most likely never be able to actually use it to defend yourself.
JustBen

Postby ulgydog56 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:18 pm

it is not illegal to carry a gun unholsterd,but very stupid...as for Q-2 i agree with justben,but some guns like dao with no saftys and the 1911,some people don,t feel comfortable with one in the pipe,I like carring 1 in the pipe with a decocker,best of both worlds,and yes ready to go......
ulgydog56

Postby eisen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:57 am

pocket holsters protect the gun and can minimze gun print through clothing, it should make it easier to deploy,dry test your carry ideas, get it under 2 sec deploy to fire, this takes lots of dry runs, before u go live fire, and second Q ,i always carry with one in the pipe so do my 3 girls, our safetys off,we are using ruger lcp and lc9 pistols, double action triggers, your finger is the best safety,,,,,
eisen

Postby JustBen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:36 am

Please check the laws of your state for how to have a loaded gun in your car. There are some significant differences between the states. Ohio up until September 30th of this year had some very restrictive conditions like in a case, in a holster, locked in a glove box etc... Luckily they repealed all these laws and we are more like Texas where anything goes.

Check your Attorney Generals website for details, or georgiapacking.org is pretty good also.
JustBen

Postby Gloc9mm » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Ben, Your answer to "Question # 2" below was right on the mark!! It seems there are many people that carry "ineffectively" to put it nicely.

*Good answer bro!

Bob
Gloc9mm

Postby Gloc9mm » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:59 pm

If you have a CCW in any honoring State, do Car Carry rules vary??
Gloc9mm

Postby JustBen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback Bob. Of course I did not invent any of this stuff, just have been lucky enough to get some extensive training from great people.
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Yes Car Carry rules can vary dramatically. Luckily if you are in Ohio or Texas there are no rules. In Texas you can carry in your car without a CHL and do not have to tell the officer if you are pulled over. Of course if you have a CHL you have to tell the officer. Pretty backwards, but better than most states.
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 pm

www.handgunlaw.us/

This is probably one of the best sites for handgun laws if you are travelling.

IMHO the best place for your gun when you are in a car is on your body in a secure holster that allows you to draw when seated.
JustBen

Next

Return to Concealed Carry