>
Board Index Serious Shooters Training

is it stupid

Discuss and learn techniques properly to train, improve accuracy, and become an expert at handling a weapon.

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:48 am

Hey Monkey! Throw us some of your great info on this topic! Don't make me beg, >>>>PLEASE<<<
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tralik33 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:35 pm

I am by no means an expert on this, but I have come across some good tips. One of the best and easiest is to use airsoft pistols for practice. Use safety glasses and possibly face protection and practice shooting at live, moving targets. Another good tip is to practice this type of shooting under duress. Speed and accuracy in training situations are different than when you are in a real life, life or death confrontation. One of the best ways I've found to simulate the effects of adrenaline and a racing heart is to exercise vigorously for a few minutes before doing the drill. The increased heart rate and labored breating are very similar in effect to what adrenaline and the fight or flight reflexes do to your accuracy. Again, practicing with airsoft pistols is a great, relatively safe way to improve your ability to protect your home and family.
Tralik33

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Excellent idea 33! I haven't shot any airsoft pistols before. What kind of pain are you going to experience when hit with one of those soft BB's? Would heavy clothing, jeans and a long sleeve shirt be adequate to reduce the sting to a tolerable level? LOL!! I've been shot any number of times with a real BB gun (growing up of course!) and I can fondly remember those instances well! I'm always amazed at the luck we experienced as kids when performing "Stupid Human Tricks". The instance that stands out most in my memory was when my best friend Chuck and I were up on Beacon Hill playing search and destroy. I spotted him about 100 feet away and with my pump Crosman BB rifle I saw a flash of color from his blue jacket and point fired. The following thing was perhaps one of the worst things I've ever had to experience. I saw his rifle go flying and he screamed. The next thing I witnessed was him grabbing his face and falling to the ground, screaming in apparent agony! As a 14 year old kid, I was scared to death!! When I made that two second 100 foot dash, Chuck was sitting up. I asked him if I had shot him in the eye and he shook his head in the affirmative. At that point I was ready to puke! I was so sorry and scared for my best friend that I simply didn't know how I was going to make his life "whole" ever again. At the time, at that age, I couldn't compare it to anything worse. So for that moment it was the worst thing I could remember being responsible for. When Chuck finally was able to remove his hands from his face, which was bleeding, I got a look at my marksmanship. Thank God I didn't actually shoot him in either eye. What I had managed to accomplish was a perfectly placed shot right between the eyes! The BB didn't enter deep enough to stay but it damn sure was deep enough to penetrate the first few layers of skin and meat (between the eye brows) and it was bleeding like a stuck pig!

I thank God every day for letting Chuck keep both of his eyes and encourage every young man and woman with an interest in shooting to not repeat my mistake. That was the last time I ever did that and was the time in my life that proved, you don't aim/fire any gun, at anyone, for any reason, other than causing extreme harm or death. Trust me, there is no fun experiencing a living nightmare like that...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tralik33 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Ouch, that's a tough lesson to learn. I had a BB bounce back off a flat target and catch me right below my left eye when I was about 14. Needless to say I wear safety glasses now too.

As for the airsoft guns, they come in different velocities. The ones I have are average velocity, close to 300 feet per second. Up close, without a shirt, they hurt like hell and leave a pretty good welt. With clothes on, it's not as bad though it would still sting to be hit anywhere on exposed flesh. Safety glasses are absolutely required, and I'd likely recommend a face-mask as well. Any long-sleeved shirt and jeans should be fine for body protection. I don't know that the airspft BB's would break glass unless they were really close, but I'd pay attention to what is beyond your target so you aren't shooting the fine china or anything like that.

The great thing about airsoft guns is that they have a huge replica selection of actual pistols, many of which can be operated using a CO2 cartridge allowing for semi-automatic fire and realistic action. They are alse relatively inexpensive with most models costing about $30-$50. BB's are very cheap and reuseable. All in all they are one of the best training tools available on the market today.
Tralik33

Postby NCCCCWteacher » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Try an IDPA match. That is real world situations on a range with real ammo. And it is fun too. A "win win" situation.
NCCCCWteacher

Postby JustBen » Sun May 23, 2010 7:34 pm

I took a three day class at Tactical Defense Institute in southern Ohio last weekend and they teach house clearing as a primary skill. I got to clear one of their houses with live fire. Really cool. Unless you practice this skill under stress and understand how to use the available space, make the room geometry work for you, learn how to "drop out" and yell comands etc... you are going to be working from behind if it really happens to you. They also teach how to set up your house with night lights to create shadows on intruders and the placement of mirrors etc... If you are serious about self defense, I would highly recommend these guys. I was amazed at how little I really knew, and how poorly skilled I was. Still trying to get better, but at least I have a better understanding now. www.tdiohio.com.
JustBen

Postby GOANRA » Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm

I have been trained for decades by County/State/Fed during my career. Not likely anyone can get enough.

I was a trainer for a while & found teaching others was the best way for ME to learn.

Often, we used 'Simunition' ... 38 cal paintballs shot with revolvers. We wore duty vests & goggles. When clearing a building the GGs had blue paint & the BGs had yellow.

Too often, the GGs would be hit by blue rounds when missing a BG.

We were doing this in a bank one night & I took a direct 'yellow' hit to the groin ... ruined my day + embarrassing, but learned the BG 'always' gets the first shot.

Then was endless carbine & shotgun training.

In real life stress, that training/practice/muscle-memory kick in and allows for reflexive reaction.
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby St8Shooter » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:59 am

Go I almost pee'd myself laughing at your simunition story! They hurt like hell!!!
St8Shooter

Postby whitehood » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 am

Sounds like you need your prostate checked.
whitehood

Postby St8Shooter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:55 pm

glad to see the king of all things asshole checked in with another pointless comment..
St8Shooter

PreviousNext

Return to Training