>
Board Index Gear and Ammo Ammunition

+P/+P+ Ammo Information

Discussions and arguments about caliber types, ballistics, ammo loads, handloading, and reloading.

+P/+P+ Ammo Information

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:05 am

I'll list some of my favorite pieces of info and I hope you'll ask any questions you develop. This is all good stuff, I hope you find something you can use!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellk.htm

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby ulgydog56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:24 pm

i find the +p38spl in125gr to be the perfect rd for the snubby,approx 20% more power and a lighter round takes the gun to its full potencial,without being to hard on you at all.....perfect...................
ulgydog56

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm carrying Mag Tech First Defense 95 gr SCHP rounds in my 2" .38. I also use them in my 1911 .45acp. These rounds have proven themself over and over in real world tests. There are few HP rounds in any caliber that retain 100% of their weight and these are quite good at doing that! They have proven themselves to be excellent at barrier penetration as well. Truth is though, most of these self defense rounds available to us now, are deadly. Virtually all of them have proof, be it video or in text, that they're not something you'd stand in front of. We have to pay attention to their research and then do our own. I think we'll all find what we're using will probably put a hurt on someone!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 pm

I want to add that I find myself using a few different self defense loads and have zero issue or problems doing so. I use quality ammo and pay attention to the reviews and street reports from our LEA's. I've got a preference for Winchester Ranger T-Series, Rem. Golden Sabers, and Speer Gold Dot. They all have excellent track records. I recommend you do your homework before picking a standard or +P loading and decide which is best for you. But at the end of the day, IMO any of them will perform admirably providing you do your part and place your shot where it should go!

tigwelder56

Postby Trapdoorbob » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:46 pm

I was always under the impression the old 38 Special with 158 gr lead was better than most anything smaller. I'd rather have a 22 LR than a 9mm or .380, but I have been doing some research about the best round for my 105 pound daughter to carry in her Ladysmith. I found this http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=0 based on the famous stopping power book. I am quite surprised by the abilities of the small ACP rounds and the low stopping power of a 44 special.

BTW, thanks for your links tigwelder56.
Trapdoorbob

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:40 pm

There are many supporters of the 158 gr. LSWC/HP because they have a soft lead bullet that expands at lower velocities. Some don't favor the jacketed rounds, but I'm a mix of that group. The heavier the bullet generally the lower the recoil. If you get this load in a +P, all comparisons are out. This is a round that holds a very narrow effectiveness range if you read the reviews. There are more powerful calibers available but this by no means is a slouch. I told you previously, I like the 95 grain SCHP and the 125 grain Rem. Golden Saber HP's. My favorite saying though is "Shot placement trumps caliber everytime"!

tigwelder56

Postby Trapdoorbob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:30 am

I am a bit doubtful that you will have time to worry about shot placement.

I have always been a fan of BIG lead. An ounce doesn't have to be going very fast to do a lot stopping. I have never had much to compare things other than game shot with a 54 round ball.

That link I left earlier was a bit of an eye opener when I found it. The point is to stop the threat in it's tracks.

Fortunately I have never had any real experience, but I have had 2 prowlers come back for a 2nd look at a 12 gauge shotgun. That was a bit spooky. My daughter having her nice shinny Ladysmith in her hand was enough to make a slime ball change his mind, stammer a little, then ask her for directions.

A couple months ago, one hid under my truck when I responded to the alarm system. The lowlife was behind me while I was looking for the source of the alarm. I need to rethink the whole program. That will NOT happen again. I am thinking about an infrared scanner on the end of my shotgun to look under and behind things as I proceed. I put a speaker outside so the lowlife will know they have been spotted. That has worked out nicely twice in the last month. Scumbag didn't wait around for the response . I hate getting out of bed to run them off at 4 AM ;-(
Trapdoorbob

Postby tigwelder56 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:53 am

Good grief Bob! Where are you livin? Sounds like you're living right in the middle of trouble!

tigwelder56

Postby Trapdoorbob » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:03 am

Trapdoorbob

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:28 pm

as to lrn ammo for pd it does create a lot of energy but by its nature its limited...over all jacketed hp fit the bill better......
ulgydog56

Next

Return to Ammunition