>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg Maverick Model 88 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Mossberg Maverick Model 88 Reviews

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:46 pm

I purchased this shotgun last Spring and have nothing but positive things to say. Its a 20 inch open choke model and has a cartridge tube that is identical in length. It looks like a short double barrel over and under, kind of sharp looking! It digests everything Ive put in it without trouble. It has synthetic stocks and Im considering putting a Knoxx system on it. Has anyone got any experience with Knoxx? Let me know. Its an inexpensive shotgun not cheap! It has worked well for me and I would recommend it for a defense weapon.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Thu May 24, 2007 7:28 pm

Come on people!! There's over 1000 views of this thread and no other comments. Someone has to have something to say about this shotgun, good or bad! I've had time to shoot it again and it's still a very reliable and I'm certain, effective weapon. I'm keeping it loaded with #4 Buck and believe that to be a good home defense load.

Tig

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Has anyone got a recommendation on an adjustable stock and forearm system for this or the Moss 500?

tigwelder56

Postby agonist » Sat May 26, 2007 6:52 pm

I almost bought a Maverick but around here they are going for as much as the Mossbergs, and I found a Mossy on gunbroker.com for $150 unfired. It had synthetic stocks and the 24in. rifled, ported barrel. I added a 24in accu choke barrel so I'm pretty much good to go for anything. My understanding is that the Mavericks are virtually identical to the Mossberg.

I haven't seen much for adjustable stocks. The 6 position ones on ebay look a little cheesey. Plenty of decent folding ones.
agonist

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat May 26, 2007 7:24 pm

I'm going to get some info for you regarding a really tits up stock system for either the 88 or 500. You're right, they're essentially identical and I'm not quite sure what makes them different. I about choked when I read how much you got that Mossberg for! Man, what a deal that was. It sounds like it's a slug gun though because of the rifling. What kind of sight system does it have? I'm very happy with my 88 and the price is fantastic. So many accessories for this rifle. With the extended ammo capability it makes for a very capable defensive weapon.

tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:00 pm

AG, take a look at this website. I've been looking at this for more than just my 88. They make a model for damn near anything that fires a bullet. I've seen video of this system being used and have seen them up close and personal a couple of different times. What this stock is capable of providing is amazing and the price is very reasonable. Check it out"

www.knoxx.com and go to the video section too:

www.knoxxrecoilsolutions.com

Let me know what you think.

Tig

tigwelder56

Postby agonist » Sat May 26, 2007 11:33 pm

Wow! That looks awsome Tig. That would be really great when I've got the slug barrel on it. Even a 2 3/4 shell slug kicks like a mother and I plan on using 3 inchers. My Mossberg came with the rifled slug barrel with adjustable rifle sights and the reciever is tapped for a scope. I plan on using a red dot or just the sights. I'll figure that out as I get closer to deer season. I bought a 24 in. accuchoke barrel ($65 on ebay) for turkey and if I want to shoot trap and skeet or birds. The barrel change out takes about 30 seconds. I love this gun!
agonist

Postby beltbuckle » Mon May 28, 2007 7:49 pm

My dad has a maveric. I like it because it looks sweet as hell with a 20'' barrell that just barely covers the bottom tube.
beltbuckle

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:20 am

It is a very nice shotgun for the price and has identical dimensions to the Moss 500, so everything is interchangeable. I agree with you that it is a sharp looking gun. Almost looks like an over/under, doesn't it? I liked that right away and the extended plug removed really provides a lot more to throw back at them if need be. Of course you can't go hunting with the plug removed but it isn't a true hunting gun anyway. Only two legged animals! The price is right too, I paid well under $300 at a gunshow. Money well spent! With that Knoxx stock system on it I can hardly wait to try it out. I'm glad you like the stock system AG. Did you get a chance to watch the video's on the site? Very incredible what they can do and get away with no recoil injuries at all. I didn't see it but there is a story from an old timer that was involved in the original designs of this system and he would place the stock of a 30'06 on his nose and would just laugh it off after he fired it. I swear I can still feel my collar bone bend after I sighted in my last '06! It's a real bruiser.Something like this would simplify sighting in and make practice work a simple job. But this is an awesome system that would make any buyer happy!

tigwelder56

Postby agonist » Tue May 29, 2007 5:54 pm

I watched the shotgun video with the guy backed up with his shoulder against that shed post. Do that a few times with a normal stock and you'll be looking for a good orthopedic surgeon!

Also you can modify a Mossberg 500 by adding the 8 shell mag tube. Thay make one for their police and security models. Its an easy change out with the tools. There's a forend tool and I think a special wrench to swap out the mag tube but they're both cheap.
agonist

Next

Return to Shotguns