>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Saiga SAIGA-12 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby Brad270 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 am

Gigaphun:

The only problem I've had with Federal shot shells is that they are dirty and can clog the gas system after 100 rounds sometimes. I just take the adjustment screw off every 100 rounds and make sure the chamber isn't packed with crap. Unfortunately, I get the best deal on Federal shells at the moment so I buy them by the case. Pretty soon I'll have to get a reloader or buy shells by the pallet.

Between my Saiga and my Browning O/U I go through a case a week. Anyone know what the cost breakdown is for reloading per round?
Brad270

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:19 pm

hahhahahaha shot one couple weeks ago that is too much fun, decent pattern too.

the one I used had very cheap polymer mags, they barely fit in the gun.

when firing the gun failed to cycle a couple times but we were shooting bird shot so the gas system probably should have been adjusted.

they are sold up her for under $400 did not get a look at the mfr but I think there are many.
Tinmancr

Postby Saiga12 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:18 pm

I paid $450.00 for my Saiga 12 -Model 19- about 8 months ago.

Practiced loading/unloading, changing mags and disassembly procedure was learned off of YouTube (was all new to me)This gun is essentially, a 12 gauge Ak-47 and believe it or not a lot of the weapons parts are interchangeable.

I thought I would need a spnge butt stock cover but the gun is not a bruiser due the gas piston operating system which is adjustable. Shot it this past week end was a dream to shoot the double OO buck has a shoulder width pattern at 65 - 70 YARDS -for real! The slugs were still rising at the same distance ...we plan on target shooting for the slugs at 80-150 yards soon will let you all know how it goes.

As to price check around small towns like I did where they like to shoot American guns and the small shops get stuck with a gun (sometimes).

The more options (God knows there are a bunch) and modifications done to the shotguns the worse it will hurt your wallet.

Swapping magazines is a learned art practice till it's second nature -watching the Spetznatz vidieos on Youtube helps.

Great shoutgun if you get the 20/30 round drum mags you win ... EVERY SERIOUS ARGUEMENT in line of sight short of miniguns, PERIOD.
Saiga12

Postby Dharmabumz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Hey Y'all; I just bought a Saiga-12.One each 15 rd mag, and 1 ea. 5 rd mag. Now to see if I can learn to put the mags in. The dealer said the recoil would get my attention, so we'll see. Tomorrow I plan to launch it...any advice on what rounds feed best? Can low recoil practice rounds work OK in the Saiga?

Also is it better to use 2 3/4 or 3 in. rounds?
Dharmabumz

Postby ulgydog56 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:49 pm

saiga,s do not extract well with low brass rd,s .that i can tell you................
ulgydog56

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Yo dog, Thanks for the tip. Let me ask to be sure I'm not confused. By low brass do you mean ammo where the brass is down real low...almost non-existent looking from the side?

I have some remington 00 in 2 3/4. Think those will fly?
Dharmabumz

Postby Saiga12 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:49 pm

dharmabumz,

Low brass ...

Bump a shell loaded with a slug or double ought against say some #9 shot shells you'll see the difference immediately .

Or just go to the range and compare some spent cartridges you'll see the difference.

BTY You can adjust your Saiga to shoot the cheap stuff go to any of the Saiga forum sites and or parts sales sites.

They even make an easily adjustable gas tube plug that you just turn with thumb and finger. Which is the better option and cheap as well. You'll want to change plug settings when switching between low brass and high brass ammo -don't mix em'-. The recoil will sting a bit more if you adjust for low brass then start shooting high brass with out making a setting change.
Saiga12

Postby Dharmabumz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks. I'm new to shotguns,having only kept my 870 police nearby for a house gun. I've seen the gas plugs you mention. I wondered what they were for. Do they come with directions even I could understand? Hope so cuz, I'm getting one on order.

Also,in advertising used saigas I see a lot of the ads saying "converted". What is it that these people convert? i.e. from what to what? I looked in the saiga forum but didn't see it defined.

I heard a rumor the upper for the saiga-12 could be replaced with a saiga AK-47 upper so you could switch back and forth between shotgun or rifle. Is this true?

Sorry to dumpallmy questions on you but I am curious about this beast.
Dharmabumz

Postby Dharmabumz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Well I finally got the automatic gas plug from TAC-47. It works like a charm. Eliminates the guessing and fussing back and forth with "#1 or #2". I tested it with Federal 71/2's in a 23/4 round. Fired flawlessly. Tested winchester slugs and no fail to feed or stovepipes.

It is awesome to shoot. Now--my next question, has anyone tried the new Kick-Lite recoil absorbing stocks? Any pros and cons appreciated.
Dharmabumz

Postby Saiga12 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:05 am

dharmabug,

Go to one of the Saiga Forum sites or to a Saiga rifle/shotgun site with parts.

They sell a small specialty foam piece that fits toward the rear of the trigger set assembly -behind the wound-wire spring. Simpler direction : when you take off the reciever/dustcover the foam piece fitsunder and toward the rear of the dust cover. Can't miss it by shape and some of the Saiga Forums' commercial supporters actually have video's or diagrams for all thier parts.

The foam piece is supposed to reduce felt recoil by 1/3 - 1/2 and costs only a few bucks... lifetime of the foam is supposed to be like 3000 rounds.

These are simple "drop in pieces.

I should warn you about parts availability for your Saiga..

They are almost all quality parts, they are usually readily available. You can ...if you don't watch out spend a dump truck load of cash tricking out you Shotgun. Believe me,

the forum sites and parts suppliers have turned the Saiga's into works of art. Some are cut down PDW's with 20 round drum mags that you could hide under a windbreaker...

MAke sure you know what you want before you start modifing (if you do).

Enjoy... later .
Saiga12

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns