>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Shotguns

Mossberg Maverick 88 Reviews

Discuss and review the most versatile firearm available.

Postby FryGuy011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:46 am

I just bought picked up this gun Friday as my first home defense gun and am wondering if their are any good ways to teach my 105 pound girlfriend how to shoot it without injuring herself. Anyone got some tips?
FryGuy011

Postby JmzGaming » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:12 am

I picked up a Maverick 88 field version (28" bbl) few weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I paid $180 for it and I just toss is around and put very little care to it. It works perfectly fine and goes bang every time. It's such a low maintenance gun and at under $200 I think it's a bargain. The only complain I have is the buttstock doesn't have a sling swivel. Recoil with full powered 12 ga 00 buckshots is nothing out of the ordinary. Fun skeet gun!
JmzGaming

Postby JmzGaming » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:24 am

@FryGuy011

Teach her the proper techniques... where to shoulder the buttstock, feet stance, etc. Key is to keep her balanced so the perceived recoil doesn't get to her, especially if she's new to shooting shotguns and using full powered loads. You can also try reduced recoil rounds. Technique is most important, otherwise the shooter could end up with bruised shoulders and end with an unpleasant experience.
JmzGaming

Postby blueskie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I am looking to get a shot gun for personal protection. And if I can find a place out here to practice with on a range. With the reviews of the Maverick I believe its the right fit for me. But I know very little about shot guns. Would you suggest a 12 or 20 gauge?
blueskie

Postby beetlemaster07 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Just bought one of these with the 18.5" barrel in 12 gauge, I put it on layaway cause I am short on cash at the moment but I wanted one of these for a long time and had never put the cash down for one. These are exceptional weapons and I got a chance to look at mine today at the store and it is really well built. blueskie if I were you I would go with the 12 gauge for personal protection and maybe even look into the 8 shot model with the 20" barrel. Also the ammo is easier to come by and there are so many different choices that a 20 gauge might not cover. I chose the shorter model for easier manouverability in the home but if you want one for hunting as well go with something that has a longer barrel and one that might be tapped for a scope or laser sight if you are into that sort of thing.
beetlemaster07

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:02 pm

I've got a 20" model that looks very similar to an over and under! It's the 8 round cap. model and is a great scatter gun any way you look at it! I keep it right next to my bed in one of those bed holsters. I keep a Glock 23 within reach as well with a tactical light. What an awesome duo! I made it a punishing trio with on-going practice and training! Here's a great website/review on the 88, I hope you like it! http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/mossberg-maverick-88-security-8-shot.html
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beetlemaster07 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:52 am

I went ahead and purchased my Maverick 88 today and when I brought it home and assembled it I noticed the pump wiggles around alot with very little snugness. Is this a normal occurence with these guns? Overall it's a good looking gun and I hope to get it to the range this fall sometime.
beetlemaster07

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:25 pm

I think you need to break it down and reassemble it. From your description it sounds too lose. The only movement I have in mine is about an 1/8". I would rate it as totally expected.

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby beetlemaster07 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:52 pm

OK I got the gun field stripped and oiled all of the interior components, this gun was a bear to put back together again. I noticed that the slide rails that are riveted to the pump are very wiggly so when I got the gun back together it still is loose around the pump but I guess this is a normal occurence with a shotgun you pay $225 for. If I decided to add a mossy 500 pump slide assembly how much do you think it would cost me? I have seen them online for about 30 bucks but was wondering if I can find them cheaper elsewhere.
beetlemaster07

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:21 pm

Without seeing the gun myself, it's difficult to give you an answer regarding the loose pump. Why did you have to assemble it in the first place? Can you take it back to the shop you purchased it at and get their impression on it? I really like my 88 and I'd hate to see you start installing Mossy 500 parts to correct this issue. Until you know for sure that you have a problem, I'd wait before buying anything.

Have you fired the shotgun? If you haven't, I wouldn't do so until you have a qualified individual inspect it. It could be fine or it could be a possible danger to you or those around you. Anytime you have a concern regarding the safety of a firearm, you should always consider it unsafe until proven otherwise.

tigwelder56

PreviousNext

Return to Shotguns