>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Ruger SR-556 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Ruger SR-556 Reviews

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:37 am

As soon as I can get this #*$%%!!ing website to post a picture, I'll get it done. It is also listed as a pistol in the picture location, please disregard that additional BS that we're so fond of... In the meantime, check out the Ruger website for photo's and complete information:

http://www.ruger.com/SR556/

It looks like a pretty nice rifle! Pricey but in line with the gas piston systems and current day panic pricing! Our new banner advertisements have been presenting it for review. I suggest you take a look.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby gamegunner » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I recently have purchased the 556. I have put around 400 rounds thru it and its very accurate. Its outfitted with a trijicon acog TA11F. Overall i am very pleased with the purchase.
gamegunner

Postby 96Bronco » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Great to hear man!

Please keep us posted as the round count climbs. When I am ready for a 556/223 I'm looking in Rugers direction.
96Bronco

Postby resqdivr02 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:59 pm

This is absolutely on my wish list for purchase in the very neer future been shopping for best deal and so far was told $1500 a far cry from msrp so in a few weeks hope to be a proud new owner will report soon...
resqdivr02

Postby GOANRA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:40 pm

I saw one today, Ruger SR556FB 5.56 16" Flip Up Sights and 3 Mags, NIB for $1418. free shipping.

Its a beauty!!
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Finally got that photo posted! Sorry for the delay. It is a sharp looking "Black Rifle"!!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby shotgunbill » Tue May 11, 2010 1:54 pm

Just fired 300 rounds at 200 yards from new SR 556. No recoil to speak of, no jams or misfires, never missed a target out of the 200. Sights are great and got it home to clean and there was nothing to clean. What a rifle . Ruger has a major winner here. Navy Seals ought pop this into their go to gear.
shotgunbill

Postby whitehood » Tue May 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Actually Special Forces prefer the DGI ( direct gas impingement systems ) for a variety of reasons. Piston AR's are heavier, have more recoil and are less accurate.

I think the jury is out on this one. From what I'm told there's not a lot of part interchangeability in this weapon with standard AR's and that could be a problem down the road especially if the weapon is rode hard. Break a bolt on this one and you might not be able to get another. With an DGI AR it's a snap to replace. I think Ruger was trying to get into the piston driven AR market at a lower price than H&K or FN. I'm not sure if the piston driven thing is going to take off or not and there's no indication it offers any advantages.
whitehood

Postby tigwelder56 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:39 pm

It's still a very nice rifle and I'd love to own one. Obviously the DGI and piston system aren't an apples to apples comparison but apples to oranges. With that thought in mind, anyone that might take it into battle should be prepared to address the different repair/maintenance issues. I have a DGI AR and love it. I've never had a problem and enjoy shooting it every chance I get. A quality firearm obtains it's status by exhibiting the qualities that educated shooters are looking for. As long as they deliver the goods in a reliable fashion at a fair price, they're going to gain popularity. Good luck Bill, keep us in the loop!!

tigwelder56

Postby whitehood » Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 pm

I think the potential downside of this rifle is worth pointing out especially at the price at which it is sold. I'll agree it's a nice rifle but if you're going to go 1400 to 1500 you can move up to a Wilson at 2K that will take most if not all mil spec parts. Food for thought. Consequently you can go with Olympic which is not completely mil spec at much less but will still take most parts if something breaks. I'd like to see a how this weapon performs with an endurance test.
whitehood

Next

Return to Rifles