>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Winchester 1894 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Winchester 1894 Reviews

Postby St8Shooter » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Absolutely Love this weapon. It was my first deer rifle back in the day. It's in 32 win special caliber. Carbine style. Just took it apart yesterday and cleaned it up all nice and purdy'.. Nothing screams nostalgia like an old lever action. It still looks like new(well 90%). I recently dated it to 1920ish. Just found some ammo my grandfather gave me along time ago. has to be older then me still in the box. gonna fire this stuff off soon. any takers on the love of old winchester's?
St8Shooter

Postby Ron40 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:46 pm

Mine's not old. I bought it in the1970s at J.C. Penney in Laguna Hills, CA. Beautiful walnut burl stock. The first time I took it to the range in Irvine, I placed all 20 rounds inside the 10 ring at 100 yds with iron sites. I think I was shooting 150 grain bullets 30-30. For his 40th birthday in 2008, I gave my son my other 1894 Legendary Frontierman in 35-55.
Ron40

Postby St8Shooter » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:08 am

awesome gift Ron. Your son is lucky and hopefully 40 years from now he will be looking back at it as an awesome memory. I still have all the weapons my father gave me. Gives me great memories every time I shoot...

I could not believe all the old ammo worked great. literally had to be 40-50 years old. box was falling apart. dead on accurate.
St8Shooter

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:01 pm

I worked on one it was actually the 94ae a better weapon imo, what a blast to shoot even fun to work on great design.

the only detractor is cowboy shooting may wear out the lever as it feels kind of flimsy compared to the ones on say a 444p.

pretty darn accurate 9+1 .44 mag firepower, very low recoil unlike some reviews I have seen.

this gun is also very light, the 30-30 is heavier but this one is a perfect saddle or brush gun.

this one also has about a 15in barrel making it even handier.

if you get one without a sling you can buy a semi-special sling swivel kit from butler creek that attaches to the mag tube in front due to very thin fore grip.

I am sad winchester is gone what a great firearm mfr, hope fn does not mess it up I may have to deal with them if they do.
Tinmancr

Postby pcnightmare » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:26 pm

I inherited a pre-64 Winchester 1894 chambered in 32 Special from my grandfather, probably around 90 percent as well, and its one of my favorite rifles. When I first got it, it probably hadn't been fired in decades and had some troubles cycling from the mag into the chamber, but after some work it has been working like a charm. Plenty accurate, light, short and easily handed recoil. Great and fun piece of history.
pcnightmare

Postby wwaldok » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:44 pm

I've got the 30-30 version from pre-1964 and have just restocked it in AAA fancy Texas walnut. The gun is quick to mount due to its light weight and perfect balance...the sites just naturally fall into line in front of your eye. With the typical WW twist of 12", it does favor 150 grain ammo. The entire rifle is on the thin side in dimensioning, affording a good solid grip. It's a mechanical work of art and at 117 years after its initial offering, it still perfectly fits a rifleman's instincts.
wwaldok

Postby tigwelder56 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:27 pm

That sounds like a beauty! What's the chance you can post a picture of it somewhere? I'd love to see it. I agree with you totally about these rifles being almost perfect in every category. Fun to shoot, accurate as all get out and they are a western work of art! Thanks for sharing your story!
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Return to Rifles