>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Barrett M82A1/M107 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby beltbuckle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:41 pm

I've been thinking about a 50bmg since I can remember but the cost of ownership has always swayed me away from obtaining one.

Since the first day I saw one of these AR uppers in 50bmg I've been throwing the idea around again and again but there are two things keeping me from biting the bullet, both recoil related.

Recoil: I imagine it's "harsh" with this platform and I value my shoulder (although some will disagree, with the calibers I play with). I'm also curious how the upper and lower will hold up to the abuse being there's only aluminum and two pins bonding the beast together.

If you take the plunge, please keep me updated after each trip out with it!
beltbuckle

Postby whitehood » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Beltbuckle,

First of all, Hammertime is more FOS than Obama. He has no more killed an elk at 850 yards with a Ruger M77 than I have. The hold over for a scope zeroed at 200 yards would put the target out of the field of view with a 25mm tube. That's just the beginning.

I sold my US Optics SN-2 to a guy who wanted something better than a Leupold for his Barrett. The Barrett M82/M107 is not considered a precision weapon and for practical purposes it's a 2 to 3 minute of angle weapon. With match grade bullets and a rebuilt trigger group it will get down to 2 to 1.5 inches. The bolt guns do a bit better. The guys who shoot the sub MOA groups have been through more than a few barrels are handloading their own ammo with select components and are using what are essentially bench rest rifles. In terms of pure accuracy, you'd do better with a 338 or 416. If you're really interested, then you might consider looking a East Ridge Gun Company. Still you'll be looking at 3500 for the rifle alone and another 2500 for a scope like a US Optics SN-3 minimum or better yet a SN-9 made especially for these distances which will put you back 3500 with the mounts.
whitehood

Postby beltbuckle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

I'm kinda diggin that laminate stock on the East ridge! I can hear the "shorty" calling my name. Unfortunatly I'm not all that serious about one yet and have just been browsing my options. There are several companyies making them who interest me, I'll list them if you want to hear em...

Like you, I have my doubts of hammertimes shot, but I'm not going to argue an exageration. I mean come on we all know that 400 is the new 800!

I havent put much thought into an optic, I guess if I had to name somthing from the top of my head a nightforce, Leopold Mark 4 lrt, US optics as you've mentioned, premier recticles, Meopta would work and horus vision even has my attention. Lots of options!

I dont want a 50 to shoot groups at 1000 yards, I want it to have it! I'll stick to the 30 cal's for groups at those ranges. I've been eying up an accuracy international AW in .338LM but I want to play with the 300rum I recently purchased for awhile to see how it performs. The 338 and the 50 are simply on the wish list for awhile...

The reality is I wont do much 1k+ shooting. 800 is the longest I have a good spot for at my place besides that I usually play at 200 and 500.
beltbuckle

Postby whitehood » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 pm

I know why you want one, the same reason I do. The biggest problem I have other than the investment in cash is the attention it might bring me. What I have been thinking about is something a bit different. A sniper grade AR, 20 inch stainless match grade barrel, free floated in black with 1/7 twist for the heavier 75 and 77 grain bullets. I'd put in on a flat top with intergral backup iron sights. I'd put a SN3S 1.5 to 10X US Optics with a quick detach mount, a mil dot lit reticle and see if they could add in a BDC. For a trigger I'd put in a single stage match trigger.
whitehood

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 am

I have the dedicated SPR covered. It's just not an anti material rifle!

My build consists of a 20" Matt stainless Krieger 1:7.7, lmt flattop upper, free float tube no rails, eagle/armalite lower,RRA parts kit, les baer chrome BCG, no irons, Meopta 4-16x42 mil dot, Harris bi pod, hogue grip, A2 stock.

I plan on upgrading the trigger to a JP or a geissele single stage and upgrade the A2 stock to a magpul prs.

If I were to do it over or for my next build, I'd add a Daniel Defense quad rail free floating tube, flip up irons, a 45 degree rail offset mount (to add an aim-point micro or JP point so I can use a non magnified optic in addition to the magnified one if I so desire), 18" barrel; probably fluted if it's a heavy barrel for weight savings, and a vortex flash hider.
beltbuckle

Postby whitehood » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:37 pm

Tell me more. I contacted Wilson and they have a nice weapon but the barrel is a 1/8 twist and they only guarantee accuracy to 1MOA. I'd like to talk to someone who has one.
whitehood

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:23 pm

sure we can discuss away, but how about we move to a more appropriate place to discuss the AR's. I'm sure there's a fitting topic in gun chatter, or fee free to make a new one.
beltbuckle

Postby whitehood » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Sounds like a topic in the making.
whitehood

Postby whitehood » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 pm

The Steyr single shot 50 bolt action is reportedly on sale while supplies last.
whitehood

Postby john118242 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:06 pm

nice gun wish i could afford one
john118242

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles