>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby APCMatt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 pm

They are older models. Went back today. No doubt about it, the skinny barrels are obvious. They havent been modified either. otherwise i would consider it if they had the extended gas tube/ stiffener hook-up.
APCMatt

Postby outlaw54 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:33 pm

I bought a Ranch Rifle in 2004 for $500 from Dick's Sporting Goods. Mine is blued and was in a walnut/dark wooden stock. It was cheaper this way. I put it in a Butler Creek folding stock, arrel shroud, H&K type fron sight and pin on flash holder. Tricked it out, gave it a whole new look.

How do I know if my rifle falls into this older, less accurate category? Mine seems to be pretty good out to 100ft. I just got a new scope for it and have not shot it or cleaned it in years. I need to take it out soon and get it on paper

I have seen these with a second barrel or stiffner attached to the barrel with clamps. Very unsightly.
outlaw54

Postby GOANRA » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:13 pm

I was issued a Mini-14 in 1988, wood/SS/flash suppressor/16" bbl and 20 rnd mags. It replaced the Winchester .223, 4+1 I kept in the trunk of my unit.

The State gave us unlimited range time [own time], but unlimited 55gr practice ammo.

It was good for 200 yards [4 inch groups on a good day] with iron sights. Rapid fire was a HOOT.

They gave us Red-Dot optics, but we all gave 'em back. I don't like optics on mine [personal preference].

Even with free ammo, we couldn't wear 'em out.

Now, I have an '08 Ranch with blue/syn/flash supp/16 in bbl and 8 20 rnd factory mags.

Also have an old one from the 80s, that I use as a fun gun with steel case ammo. It has a beat-up wood stock & I replaced the rubber recoil pads with hard polymer on both since they just catch on my clothes. I'm careful not to let the bbl get too hot, though.

They are a barrel of monkeys!! LOL
NRA Lifer
GOA member
Retired LEO
Μολὼν λαβέ
If gun laws worked; criminals would obey them.
Join the NRA here: http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
GOANRA

Postby Snoopy60 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 am

Just recently purchased a Mini-14 ranch s/s with 20 rd mag for

$650. I've shot 300 rds thru it. Love it. Just put a reticle sight on it. Taking it to the range for sighting in. Will update later on how sight holds up.
Snoopy60

Postby DepDoug » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:07 am

My Ranch Rifle fails to eject on the average of once every 30 rounds. I've only fired 200 rounds out of it so far. Factory said to send it back. I'll keep you posted on what they say. The ejector finger appears to be about .010" too short. With the designed looseness of the bolt, I suspect that too often the shell doesn't even contact that ejector finger during the bolt blow back. The bolt then slams the spent shell forward into the breech preventing a new cartridge from feeding.
DepDoug

Postby Trapdoorbob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:09 am

Anyone have any comments about shooting Wolf ammo in their Ranch Rifle? Good? Bad?
Trapdoorbob

Postby DontFailToFeedMe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I have fired probably 3 - 4 hundred rounds of wolf/steel case ammo from my ranch rifle without a problem(over several months). I fired 40 rounds off hand at a 100 yrd and a 200 yrd target this past friday with very good success. It is not the most accurate but is close enough and goes bang every time so far in my gun which is a newer 581 series.
DontFailToFeedMe

Postby Trapdoorbob » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks, sounds like it is plenty good 'nuf for plinking and parctice. Graf just had it on sale for less than I could reload my own cases. There have been a lot of bad reviews, but those issues may have been put to rest. I have used Wolf for 22 target and it has shot very well.
Trapdoorbob

Postby kerstingm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm

I just purchased a target Mini 14 and I am looking for a good high power scope. Can anybody here suggest one. I am currently looking at a couple Burris 4.5-14x 42mm I am just not sure if it will do what I want. I want to go out between 300 to 500 yards with a good sight picture.
kerstingm

Postby Trapdoorbob » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:13 pm

The ruger is only a 200 yard gun at best. I just put a 2-7 Leupold on mine. IMO, 4.5 is too much for close action shots. The gun isn't capable of taking adbantage of 14x. Check out Midway's blemished scopes. I can't find the blemish on mine ;-)
Trapdoorbob

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles