>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

SKS Carbine (multiple variants) Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

SKS Carbine (multiple variants) Reviews

Postby jdeangelis99 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:09 pm

My friend I think had this in semi auto.. IT was really accurate
jdeangelis99

Postby dvsilverwing » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:39 pm

jdangelis, they only sell it in semi auto dont they?
dvsilverwing

Postby Ky-Glockman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:37 am

Very nice rifle, I love mine. You wont be sorry with this purchase!!
Ky-Glockman

Postby bcaff05 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:49 am

The SKS is a semi-auto rifle. Here in Indiana I find the Yugoslavian 59/66 (It has a unique muzzle mounted grenade launcher, ladder sight and gas valve to accommodate grenade launching) for about $150, in very good condition. They are great starter guns if you are interested in military arms or just firearms in general. The only thing to look for is corrosion (lots of mil-surp 7.62x39 ammo is corrosive) and in the case of a Yugo, the condition of the gas valve. I personally had to replace the gas valve in my Yugo, so that it would cycle properly, the original valve was worn and did not provide a proper seal, a new machined valve from eBay did the trick.
bcaff05

Postby harleyranger » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:18 am

hasn't every one at one time in thier life had one of these things,, i got mine on the tail end of theya can still buy them cheap thing all i know is its a modified paratroopers model short carbine takes ak clips and has a longer thumbhole stock i mounted a scope on it wasn't worth the powder to blow it up lol the iron sights work just fine and lets face it these things are as reliable as a brick nuff said
harleyranger

Postby quikdrawmagraw » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:44 pm

quikdrawmagraw

Postby louismacote » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:08 am

I have owned three, and sold two. These are excellent deer, and black bear hunting carbines for 100m and under. More accurate than the AK47 by far, but the out dated 10rd capacity rules it out as an option for a combat weapon on par with modern carbines. Detachable mags have been found unreliable at best under adverse conditions. All in all, I really enjoy shooting this rifle, and know it is gonna go bang every single time. I now only own a russian model (I think the best), and will never get rid of it.
louismacote

Postby agonist » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:06 pm

This rating is relative to price. I found an older Chinese model in very good condition for $150 with a 30rd mag. It's perceived recoil is in the same neighborhood as a M1 carbine but with way more power. The first time I fired it I pounded an 8in. concrete plate at 100yds. standing with the iron sights with very little effort.

Very accurate, very durable, very easy to shoot, very cheap to shoot (20rds for $5 steel cases) and very reliable. My only negative is that the mags are difficult to replace quickly. I intend to purchase some newer composite mags as I hear they change easier.

IN my opinion this is the best centerfire repeater available for under $200.
agonist

Postby sidewinder » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:58 pm

SKS

Everbody should own one -- But MSRP $250??

I paid $90 for my two Russian SKS's and only $140 for my Chinese Paratrooper (Shorter) Version

I just saw some in Big-5 for $179 complete with bayonets
sidewinder

Postby dood » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 pm

I bought my Chinese Type 56 SKS back in the early '90s for $120.00. It is a Norinco new in-box commercial manufacture version with a 20" barrel. It came with the spike bayonet, cleaning kit, canvas sling, and standard 10-round swing away magazine.

It's beautiful for an SKS. I refinished the wood stock a long time ago to a dark brown because I couldn't stand the yellow finish it came with. I also added the 1" rubber butt stock extender so it would fit me better.

This was my 1st firearm as an adult. It is dead stone reliable. Never a jam. Once it double fired hundreds of rounds ago, but that problem has yet to return.

I was quite naive when I bought it, not even knowing what an SKS was since they were being imported with the name "Cowboy Companion" back then.
dood

Next

Return to Rifles