>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Rifles

Kalashnikov AK - 47 Reviews

Discuss and review rifles and caribines with others who have a passion for long range precision shooting.

Postby rrapidron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 am

I have used both the ak and the m 16 in combat-the ak dont jam as easy as the m-16s we had at the time,also the ak shoots through brush and such better.

I have shot an enemy with a 45 and he went down and stayed down and thats from a shoulder hit-the 45 is a slow round with more shocking power-the 9mm just goes on through-guess it just depends on what you are useing it for lol.

matter of fact do you think the congresslady who just got shot in the head would have survied if that had been a 45-I think not.
rrapidron

Postby plastics_guy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:34 pm

John118242

Are you saying what is best for in an apartment? I'm no expert but I'd say neither one. That is unless you don't mind the possibility of shooting your neighbors in the next 2 or 3 apartments. In an apartment situation I'd have to say a shotgun with bird shot. Yeah slug or 00 sounds great but it'll give you the same problem of over penetration and possible unintended collateral wounding. Plus a shotgun gives you flexability in amms so you can have some slug or buck shot in a carrier or sling bandolier in case you do get outside and need something heavier with further reach.

For range I'm having the same thoughts. I have an AR but it can be pricey to go out shooting very long. So this is the reason I'm looking at an AK as ammo looks to be slightly cheaper though it's usually corrosive surplus or Wolf. But from what I'm being told it just means you have to thoroughly clean when you get back from the range. And as for steel case, my thought is that's what AK's were designed to shoot so I can't see where it's as much of an issue to the breech and extractor claws. I know a lot of guys run the steel case 5.56 thru their AR's but I don't. Just my opinion but I think it's pretty rough on them. Any steel case shooters reading this??
plastics_guy

Postby rrapidron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:59 pm

A 20 gauge shotgun with no 4 turkey loads works pretty good in an apartment setting-would work well in the parking lot although why go out there just call the police unless someones life is in danger
rrapidron

Postby john118242 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:56 pm

can u get the rubber rounds for either the ak or ar?
john118242

Postby plastics_guy » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:15 am

I haven't seen them, but then again I haven't looked specifically for them. I have seen the rubber less lethal stuff for 12 ga shotgun in a lot of places. And again, I wasn't looking for it.

Might be able to find it but I think even police and military when using less than lethal it's from a shotgun or a 40mm gernade launcher, whether rubber or bean bag. Big and slow seems to be the methodology of those rounds.
plastics_guy

Postby JmzGaming » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 am

My primary SHTF gun (lol just my excuse to buy the gun). There are so many variants, I couldn't find a VEPR locally so I decided to go with the Arsenal SGL21. I absolutely love my AK. It's rugged, reliable, durable, relatively accurate, the finish is also very good on the Arsenal's.
JmzGaming

Postby thunderguppy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:54 pm

Two questions:

1. Does anyone out there own or have shot an AK type rifle that is chambered in 5.56mm (Not 5.45mm)? If so, is it as reliable as the 7.62 version? Like AK's, but trying to stick to 5.56mm to share ammo with other rifles.

2.Does anyone have a Century Arms Sporter 39 and is it any good? I've have FN-FAL knock-of put together by them that is a decent shooter and reliable.

I'm really looking for WTSHTF rifle that is utterly reliable, easily maintained, with reasonably accuracy up to 200-300 yards in 5.56mm? Any suggestions?
thunderguppy

Postby whitehood » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:16 pm

The very best of the AK 5.56 clones are the Valmet M76's. The big problem is that they're not made anymore and real Valmet mags are expensive. Galil and galoni mags will usually fit. You also don't know what barrel twist you'll get. A 1:12 Valmet folder NIB with a dozen production mags is going to go way past 5 grand. IMI Galils, the originals, are usually OK but you never know and mags are also not cheap. Still about 3 grand plus. I'd stay away from the Galoni and anything from Century. Arsenal USA & AK USA have reportedly good weapons. I don't think Krebs makes a 5.56 but if they do grab it. they are the best.

Here's what I would do. Get a good quality AR with good mags, good ammo and spare parts including a replacement bolt.
whitehood

Postby rgillgil » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:36 pm

I just got me an original Hungarian AMD-65 AK47, it is a FEG made. I can't wait to try it out at the outdoor range. I understand they are hard to find, that the AMD's that you can readily find are kits. Anybody has any experience or thoughts about it. Someone told me to leave it in the box as a collector's item. Any thoughts??? I can't rate it yet without shooting it.
rgillgil

Postby whitehood » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Original FEGs that were Hungarian Arsenal made and that were preban are considered excellent and go for about the grand range. Unfortunately all AK's are essentially kit guns made and where it comes from means something. Krebs, Arsenal and AK USA have the rep in that order
whitehood

PreviousNext

Return to Rifles