>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Ruger Blackhawk Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Ruger Blackhawk Reviews

Postby eman12550 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:45 am

A best buy! a great gun all around . very accurate, a great trigger and action and well balanced in the hand ( i have a blued 7.5 barrel model) i added a pair of soft rubber hogue grips for shooting full-house .44 mag hunting rounds and a scope rail and red dot scope ( only use high quality optics on any large bore pistol , because they will break lens!!!) . in my opinion this single action is the only choice for a top quality hunting pistol
eman12550

Postby Punisher » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:20 pm

I just purchased a Blackhawk in 45LC and Im dying to take it out and put a box or 2 of ammo through it. Its the blued, 4-5/8 barrel model. I even purchased a western holster and shooting rig to carry it on on the trails and such. There was a review I read recently that complained of leading in the throat because its not bored to .452 as it should be. Has anyone had this problem?
Punisher

Postby qncy_blw » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:51 pm

Ive had a 4 5/8 inch Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in 38/357mag with an interchangable 9mm cylinder for six years. Ive put alot of rounds through in both of its cylinders. I plan to shoot some of the many cowboy matches with it. Sometimes I match off some of my shooting buddies armed with DA revolvers or semi autos on falling plates. Although mechanically slower to fire Im surprised, amazed and overjoyed when I sometimes win! My Ruger seems to shoot 38 specials the most accurately, about 2 3/4 inches @ 25 yards. In 9mm, using 147gr. subsonics my smallest group was 3 1/2 inches.
qncy_blw

Postby Retiredwheelgunner » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:34 pm

Just picked up and shot the Ruger Blackhawk convertible 6.5inch BN36X-C used the 9MM cylinder right out of box shot center out of target at 25ft.Used range ammo (UMC Reminton 115 GR.MC and Federal AMERICAN eagle 124GR TMJ.I was talked out of the Taurus 9mm by the dealer.The Ruger does not use moon clips and is a well made revolver and pleasant to shoot .I will swap the cylinder and try 357Mag also I never shot mags in such a long barrel I usually shoot a Taurus .357 stainless 2.This Ruger revolver will definetly become one of my favorites. Wow no FTFs no Stovepipes this revolver is a pleasure to fire and choice of 9MM .38Special or .357 mag
Retiredwheelgunner

Postby CON-T » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:00 pm

retiredwheelgunner, ive got three s/a pistols and a heritage revolver(rough rider). ive always loved 1911 style guns but your post makes me more interested in revolvers. ive had the .22 wheel for 6 weeks and have yet to fire it due to scheduling. im starting to look into revolvers like the one you just picked up. i have 2 ruger .45 s/as, p345 and p90 and a s/a amt.380.

im starting to like the revolvers more and more. i got the heritage for $139.00 because i couldnt resist the price....now if i could just make time to go shoot it.....
CON-T

Postby Retiredwheelgunner » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:38 pm

CON-T Be forewarned about the BN-36XC Its over 12 long but remember a 6.5 barrel is a plus for long range accuracy and if you hunt with it the velocity out of the barrel is higher than with a shorter length.Im on the verge of an urge to join the spray and pray crowd I got my eye on a Ruger P89 stainless .I may weaken and buy my first autopistol but I still love the dependability and easy maintenance of a good wheelgun.
Retiredwheelgunner

Postby CON-T » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:58 pm

i sold a llama 9mm 1911 style pistol to get the p345 .45. ive considered another 9mm and it would probably be the p89, or the taurus 24/7 in .40. after that, ill concentrate on target pistols...thought about the browning buckmark or the ruger 22/45 mkIII.

my heritage has a 6.5 bbl as well....cant wait to shoot it.
CON-T

Postby little-wilbur » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 pm

Howdy, I picked up super blackhawk in .44 with a 10.5 barrel. I also have a lever gun with the same cartridge. I plan to fire a common rd for the two. Im going to do some research and experiment with different loads. Im fiquring with such a long barrel the super blackhawk should be as accuarate as the rifle in the shorter ranges. Any pointers?
little-wilbur

Postby qncy_blw » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:19 pm

little-wilbur, I share your fervor for having handgun/rifle combos of the same caliber. I have four pistol caliber lever action carbines that I regularly match up to the same caliber handguns. In particular to your post, I have a Marlin 1894 PG in 44 mag and a 7 1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. I also have a Marlin Camp Nine that I match up with one of several of my 9mm handguns and a Ruger PC4(40sw) that I match with either a Beretta 96g or a Glock 35. These pistol/rifle combos are a lot of fun and a joy to shoot. However keep in mind that there is as much as a 350-500fps difference in muzzle velocity when shooting the same load through your like caliber gun combos. Also depending on what load your using and the distance your shooting, the point of impact will change. These variables can be abated by standardizing with one or two loads and by frequent shooting practice at targets placed at various distances.
qncy_blw

Postby little-wilbur » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:22 pm

After a good session at the range using different .44 loads in my superblackhawk and 94 winchester, I've come to a happy conclusion or load that shoots well with both rifle and pistol. Its a rifle load that has the same pressure limits as pistol ammo a with a .429 dia 200 gr jhp.(im not giving load powder or grains, cause i don't want feel responsible for someone's gun exploding out there) Generally, all the reloading manuals keep the rifle pressures down for for dual purposes. This pistol is slow to fire, but damm it is accurate and fun.
little-wilbur

Next

Return to Revolvers