>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Taurus Model 65/66 Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Missionx5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:20 pm

I own the 627 (love it) but as I am remembering they do not differ much. With such a radical problem I would suggest pleading your case with Taurus despite the warranty issue. If that does not work take it back to the shop and let them plead the case, they are more likely to listen to a dealer anyways. I don't have experience with CS outside the US so you might be in trouble.
Missionx5

Postby wallyiv » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:48 am

I suppose I'll call them this afternoon then. Thanks.
wallyiv

Postby MustangLX » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm

Ordered new 608 today from local dealer. $479. Pick up in two days hopefully. Will be back with first day impressions.

Have a Taurus .44 Mag 6.5" stainless I bought new in '98 and never had a complaint.
MustangLX

Postby MustangLX » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Picked up the new 608 today. After reading a post on here about quality on newer Taurus I checked it over as close as I knew how before I left the dealer. Didn't find any obvious flaws. Finish is nice.

The only thing I found unusual was the effort required to pop out cylinder and pop it back in. It seems to have proper alignment and even spacing.

I suppose I'm used to my other Turus I've had since '98. Maybe the spring in the center of the cylinder has weakened over the years or maybe they make it stiffer now.

Going to range tomorrow. Will check in with results.
MustangLX

Postby MustangLX » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Made it to range today with 608. I fired 32 rounds of 153 grain ammo. It seemed to buck slightly more than the .44(6.5") using 180. Maybe attribute that to barrel length. I was hitting targets equally with both guns though.

All in all, it was fun to shoot and have no complaints thus far.
MustangLX

Postby .taurus357 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:52 am

I have owned many of guns,but this one here sticks out above the rest!!!model 66
.taurus357

Postby .taurus357 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:53 am

I have owned many of guns,but this one here sticks out above the rest!!!model 66
.taurus357

Postby JustBen » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:25 pm

Just got the model 605 for my wife. Sure hope she likes it.
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Took it out of the box to clean it up and make sure all was ok and ended up very disappointed.

Fit and finish was poor. The machining marks inside the chambers are horrifying, then I looked in the barrel and it does not look right.

About a 1/4 inch in from the muzzle there is one land that looks like it was milled off, and another that has a partial machining mark in it. The others go all the way to the muzzle.

The cylinder and ejection rod do not work smoothly at all. Very poor fit and function. They even bind up in certain spots.

I think I got a factory second or a lemon.

Bringing it back immediately. It also had a lot of residue like it had been shot a fair amount.

Anyone have similar issues with a Taurus revolver ?
JustBen

Postby ilmbaba » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:13 pm

I bought a 627 yesterday and took it out to the range today. It felt good, and was accurate out of the box, BUT......

after the 3rd round, the cylinder started to bind. I swung the cylinder out and popped it back, and the rest fired fine. This was some light load 38 spls. Filled the cylinder again and same thing happened after the third round. After that, I tried some factory load 357 rounds. In each of the two cylinders full, after the third round, the cylinder bound up. Happened once more with one last load of 38s.

I took it back to the shop, and they offered to send it in. I would rather swap it out for a new one, or hopefully split the difference with them on a GP 100 they have. The guy thought the owner might, because of the hassle.

I have big doubts about going back to the Tracker, especially when it was bad right out of the box. I really want to like this gun, because I liked everything about it except the fact that it doesn't work right.

I'll see what tomorrow brings.
ilmbaba

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers