>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Revolvers

Uberti 1873 Cattleman Reviews

Classic design and rock-solid reliability. Discuss everything from a vintage Cowboy-action to a snub-nose .38 special.

Postby Punisher » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:32 am

Well, it's been almost a year and I have to say the Chisholm is an excellent six-gun. I got it with the matte black finish and it's holding up well under steady use/cleaning and hundreds of holster draws. I have it in .45 colt with 4-3/4 barrel and for me, it's the perfect size. One recomendation...buy a small tube of locktite and after putting 30 or 40 rounds though it when you first get it, check all the screws on the gun and apply a small dot of locktite to the threads of any you find loose. The screw that holds the extractor rod tube to the barrel loosened up on my gun. 20 seconds and a dot of locktite fixed the problem. Just put enough on to keep the screw from coming loose on their own but not so much that you have to mar up the screw to get it loose during cleaning or maintenance.

The Uberti is a great gun. The hammer mounted firing pin hits the cartridge primer with authority and I haven't had a misfire yet. Because it has a traditional hammer firing pin, carrying it on an empty chamber is mandatory for safety reasons. Effectively this turns your six-gun into a five-gun if you intend to travel with it loaded on your hip. I'm liking everything about this Uberti and I will be buying others to add to the collection.
Punisher

Postby squintr » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:37 am

I've had my 1873 Frontier Marshall for about a year now. I put about 1500 rounds of CAS loads thru it. This gun shows only light leading after 100 rounds. The 45 shoots dead on 6 o'clock at 15 paces. The Frontier Marshall has a brass grip frame and the usual color case hardening frame with nicely blued cylinder and 4-3/4 barrel. The polishing was excellent with no visible machine marks. I like the feel of this gun in my hand. It rolls up in my hand just as Sam Colt intended and places the hammer right where I can reach it for a second shot. I have always been a Ruger fan as you cannot beat the Ruger's brute strength, but I do love a peacemaker for carry and fun shooting. Remember to load a Colt clone properly... load one round, skip the next one and load four more. Then cock the gun and lower the hammer on the empty chamber. A peacemaker was designed to be carried as a five shooter even though there are six chambers. This prevents the hammer from sitting directly on a live primer. Happy shooting.
squintr

Postby PJL » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:57 pm

I just picked up a used Cattleman SA in .45LC. I've never fired a SA revolver. Is the firing pin supposed to be loose in side the hammer? Any idea where to get replacement walnut grips? These have a few nicks and dings
PJL

Postby JMKPM » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:47 pm

pjl Mine is the same way. The firing pin looks like it has alittle pin holding it to the hammer. I have one with a 3 3/4 barrel and use it for conceal carry and cowboy shooting.
JMKPM

Postby PJL » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. Now I just have to figure out the best loads to use and the best way to make reloads for it. PJL
PJL

Postby BigBlue » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:35 am

I recently bought a Taylor Smoke Wagon Cattleman Deluxe in .45 Colt, made by Uberti. It is basically a Uberti Cattleman that was designed and tuned by Cody Conagher a well known CAS gunsmith. A little more costly than the basic Cattleman at $530, but worth every penny. I can't praise this handgun enough. It is as smooth a SA revolver as you'll ever find and just as great looking.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfSmokeWagon.tpl
BigBlue

Postby JMKPM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Will Carry, I can carry it with 6 rounds but forse of habit with SASS rules says carry with 5 so I do. I find the birds head grip is great. It eats up the recoil. It just rolls in your hand. I carry it cross draw with a D M Bullard holster.
JMKPM

Postby arkie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Will a front sight blade from the current made Uberti Cattleman 44Mag. fit a Iver Johnson 44mag. made by Uberti with the adjustable sights?
arkie

Postby onekydshooter » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:33 pm

I have owned a Uberti Cattleman for 2 years now. I love it. What I would like to know is how "hot" of a load can I run through it? I have only shot cowboy action rounds in it. they do great but would like to try and take a whitetail with it and just dont have the confadence with the slower rounds. ANy help would be great. thanks
onekydshooter

Postby willys46cj2a » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:19 am

I recently purchased a Uberti El Patron .357 in 5 and a half inch barrel. The gun ls beautiful but I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Question! All the ads for the El patron says it comes with a numbered cylinder. Mine is not numbered, anyone know why??
willys46cj2a

PreviousNext

Return to Revolvers