>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Sig Arms P220 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Mplsrican » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:27 pm

I picked up my Sig a month ago. Its a good gun out of the box. I dont like the sights changing to nightsites. But Sigs shoot BULLEYES out. If you have the chance shoot one youll love.
Mplsrican

Postby plastics_guy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:01 pm

I have an old model in 45 (think mid-80s vintage) that was made by Sig but sold by Browning. It has the European mag release on the bottom of the grip. It doesnt say P220 but Ive found pics on the web that show ones identical to it with P220 stamped on them.

I picked this up several years ago at an estate auction for little money. But the previous owner gave it a rough life by the looks of it. It is scratched and gouged up like someone through it down across blacktop or something so the grips are really chewed up. Ive shot the pistol and for all its marking it still shoots great and allows me to shoot thru holes. My question is in if anyone knows where I can buy replacement grips and mags for it and if anyone has any additional info on it. Im planning to refurbish the slide by stoning down the burrs and having it re-blued. Before I do though Id like to try to find out what the value might be on it as it is vs. if I redo it. I want to make sure this wouldnt end up being a dumb thing to do because its a limited edition or something.

Thanks for any help you can give.
plastics_guy

Postby yellowkatt » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:39 am

had a P220 .45acp in all stainless steel. very reliable, easy field strip, but a total take down was a little rough. fed anything i put thru it. AWSOME SA/DA trigger, probably the sweetest of any SA/DA i have ever encountered. slick action. silent decocker, easy to reach slide release, but the mag release was a stretch for me. the gun is very heavy, the stainless steel is tough to keep clean, and the hogue grips that come with the gun add unwanted bulk to the grip. i have short meaty hands so im very grip sensitive, and this kept me from shooting it well. the night sights were great. i wouldnt want to carry this open let alone concealed because of its bulk and weight. but as a home gun its great if you have long fingers, and dont mind trying to keep the stainless clean, or the weight, then there is nothing wrong with this fine gun. i would like another SIG someday, maybe a P226. the trigger is addicting!!
yellowkatt

Postby mboo63 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:25 pm

I have had a P220 for over a year now. I couldnt have asked for a better gun. I have even used in in steel matches. The DA trigger is a little slower than SA only guns, but it can hang with the best of them. I have never had a problem with it and have probably thrown 4000 or 5000 rounds through it. GREAT GUN!!
mboo63

Postby jakeswensonmt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:13 am

Some 20 years ago I got my first pistol, a P220. The problem with your first handgun being a Sig is that you get used to its superlative quality, come to expect it, and afterwards most other automatic pistols you get seem... flimsy (with notable exceptions.)

Bank vaults arent built this strong, and the finish and machining of the Sigs parts can be described as art. For example the outside of the barrel is grooved so finely that you can feel it with your thumbnail but can not see it, and its finished with some unearthly reddish treatment only found on Sigs and UFO fuselages.

God only knows how many thousand rounds this lovely weapon has fired since then, and it has FTFd exactly once, on a clearly defective cartridge, and it has never FTEd. Its quite accurate, even with cheap ammo. Aside from cleaning, it has never needed any repair, and shoots like new with the original spring, barrel, and magazine (and original everything else too). The bluing is now quite worn, but that only makes me love it more.

If you have the means, get a Sig. You will not regret it.
jakeswensonmt

Postby mr50cal » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:59 am

Ive only had my sig p220 for three weeks now, and Ive got to say that Ive never felt this way about a weapon. I recently saw a springfield 1911 all stainless steel .45 for way less than what I paid for my sig. But Id take this tactical piece of weaponry any day. The accuracy is second to none. Im popping head shots like HALO. If you ever want tp have a gun in your collection let it be a sig.
mr50cal

Postby TNT.45 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:36 am

There are 2 kinds of gun owners people who own Sigs and people who need to!
TNT.45

Postby MrHyde » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:52 pm

I just purchased a used but almost untouched Sig P220. The original owner had it for less than 2 years and seems to have nearly never fired it. Beautiful handgun. Shoots like a dream with nearly no recoil. I can't gush enough about the quality that is Sig Sauer... they are just, clearly, superiorly made handguns. I have heard them called the "thinking mans gun" and that suits it to a tee.

I like having the SA/DA choice and the decocker is a very important bonus. I also like the way it fits in my hand. I have long hands and fingers and I find many guns to be too small for my mitts but this is a perfect fit.

And did I mention... it is as accurate as hades. ;-)

I highly recommend any Sig but the P220 is exceptional being that it holds a .45 caliber, personally.
MrHyde

Postby CONT2 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:04 pm

I've never paid a lot of attention to the Sig Sauer brand. I know it's considered a top flight brand but I've been busy with Ruger, LLama, Star and most recently, Kimber.

I like the look of the Sig Sauer 1911 Revolution.
CONT2

Postby Patrol » Sun May 13, 2007 9:06 pm

I got my Sig 220 in K Kote finish because quite frankly back 15 years ago other than their black stainless finish,nickel or K Kote was the only finish that didnt suck. The P220 is probably the best duty carry 45acp for L.E ever made until the need now for ultra modern poly guns has surfaced. Ive had mine now for over 15years so that alone says something. It shoots pretty darn good too.
Patrol

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols