>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 19 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby AkBabyJesus » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:25 am

ok I have had Gaston for about a year now, (yes Iv named it) I have shot MOST 9mm pistols that are available in the U.S. including Beretta, Walther, Taurus, Jennings, Ruger, HK, Sig, Ect. and my Glock 19 is the only one Id trust to be my familys ONLY protection!!! I buy the CHEAPEST ammo available with not 1 misfire, and Iv just now cleaned it after shooting at least once a week, and 150-400 rounds at a time for almost a year just to see how it would hold up. Did I say not ONE mis-fire!! As far as EASY field stripping the Beretta is the only comparison, how ever Iv had misfires with the Berettas. The only thing thing Iv noticed, as far as wear and tear with my already 15 yr old gun, is my casings have a little dented crease in the tip of the opening, if any one has experienced the same thing, let it be known please. Thank you Gaston Glock!!!!!
AkBabyJesus

Postby jason0007 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:00 pm

Im looking to buy my first glock...still deciding between a glock 19 but not sure about the caliber 9mm or .40?????

I am also undecided whether i should go with a more compact glock other than the 19? this will be used for ccw/home defense.....any advice is appreciated. thanks.

btw..i currently own a beretta 92fs/beretta px4 in 9mm both.

was leaning toward a .40 this time with the glock but not sure about the recoil action. thanks again.
jason0007

Postby itguy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:36 pm

jason0007, Glocks make great carry guns. I dont think very many people still debate about their quality\durability\reliability these days. I opted to make a Glock 19 in 9mm my carry gun recently. The Glock 19 is the best size, at least for me, as I am short and have small hands. Another plus to me is the polymer frame and magazines. If youre going to use a leather holster and leather magazine pouch, youll appreciate the fact that those polymer parts wont ooze oil out onto the leather. I appreciate it as I live in a very high humidity area. Even though the model 19 is a compact, it still holds 15 rounds, in 9mm. On paper I know the .40 S&W is a better round, but I had a standard sized Glock 22 in .40 S&W years ago, and could not stand the recoil. I shoot 1911s the best, and Sigs second best. Ill need a lot of practice to get good with the Glock trigger pull, another reason I opted for 9mm, due to the much cheaper ammo. But I do not want to start a caliber debate, make that decision seperately! But a compact sized Glock 19 or Glock 23, in 9mm or .40 S&W respectively, will do the job. My only gripe with mine is that now they all have the finger grooves. Either the groove itself, or the checkering the groove pushes my two middle fingers into, bite into my fingers while firing, or even holding. But this is a defensive\combat auto, not a target gun that will be used in long term target shooting, so I dont count that as a strike against carrying it.

Hope this helps!
itguy

Postby jason0007 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:06 am

thanks for your input...i went out and bought the glock 19 today from the local gun store...paid $479 for it (brand new).

decided to go with the 9mm since ive heard so many good reviews on it. bought meprolights and will have it installed on the new glock..thanks again for your advice..
jason0007

Postby itguy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 am

jason0007, Congrats, a great choice IMO. Since 9mm ammo is cheap, I do suggest practicing, practicing, and then practicing with your Glock, since the trigger pull is so unique. Perhaps others adapt to it faster than I am, but learning how to shoot 23 years ago on a single action 1911, it is taking me a while to get used to the take-up before the trigger breaks. Ditto for the fact it breaks heavier than I am used to. But it is safe!

You couldnt have made a better choice in choosing the Meprolight sights!! I had a pair installed on my G19 and although I hope to never have to fire in low light or the dark, it cant hurt. Best though, the Meprolights have a great view in the daylight, thanks to their white outlines around the inserts. And they are metal. A good investment!
itguy

Postby jason0007 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:18 pm

how do u tell if the glock is a 2nd or 3rd generation pistol???

i didnt pay attention when i bought it.....i remember reading somewhere that the 3rd gen has the picatinny rail but forgot what else..i could be wrong. mine came with the rail.

also...can u warrant register your glock online??? i tried but couldnt do it online..

the trigger pull is different than my current berettas..

when i pull the trigger on the glock (unloaded) the trigger doesnt pull back to its original position unlike my berettas (unloaded)....is this normal????? sorry for so many questions...i am a novice to handguns..for some reason..within a 30 day period.. i decided to go out and bought 3 new pistols...prior to that didnt even care to own even one..

now i have the gun bug... THANKS AGAIN.
jason0007

Postby itguy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:20 pm

jason0007, Im not a Glock history buff, but know enough to know [with 95% certainty] if your grip has the finger grooves, and more importantly, the frame does have the picatinny rail, you do have the latest generation.

I dunno about online registration, never tried.

As for the way you say the trigger stays pulled, that is indeed normal after dry fired. With a live round of course the slide cycles and re-primes the striker pin [or whatever the proper term is]. The Glock trigger pull never changes, meaning there is no DA\SA, all pulls are the same, first to last. The only time this is a bother is dry firing. You have to rack the slide in order to take a 2nd dry fire shot.

With some guns I got interested enough to learn a lot more about how they work. I can correctly name almost every part in a 1911, but as for a Glock, Id botch it if I even tried. I suggest looking at an exploded parts breakdown diagram. Even if you dont want to really get into it, just looking at that will explain better than I possibly could the very unique way the Glock trigger and firing system works.

Ill check back a time or two if you have any more questions.
itguy

Postby Speedy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:23 am

Hi there all would like to get some advices. Living is South Africa where the gun laws have become quite harsh and you are only aloud one weapon. Am in the market for a every day carry weapan that will be reliable. A friend of mine has imergrated and said I can have his CZ100 but every gun delear in S.A has said it is a bad weapon. Is The Glock 19 Realy a more supperiar weapon?
Speedy

Postby mike_in_md » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm

This is a gun I would trust with my life. After more than a thousand rounds I have yet had any issues. Flawless dependability and very good accuracy.
mike_in_md

Postby bgpdrumr » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:29 pm

had a quick question. have decided on a 9mm glock, but cannot decide between the 17 and 19. ive read all reviews but havent seen anything one way or another. any personal advice would be most appreciated, thanks.
bgpdrumr

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols