>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther P99 QA Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby bealaskan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:13 pm

The Walther P99QA 9mm or .40, is one of the finest semi-auto pistols ever made. I have been so impressed with it, that is has replaced my HK V3 as my open carry.

The negative reviews I read from time to time, typically are posted by liars, people don't know what they are talking about, or people who shouldn't be handling a firearm in the first place.
bealaskan

Postby greenrob » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:04 pm

@bealaskan Or... Someone who has a poorly made one that makes noise when shaken! A firearm should not make noise when shaken! Given that Walther support said this model is prone to making noise, there is something wrong with the quality controls at Walther. your copy may be fine, but mine is not.
greenrob

Postby HadEmAll » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:41 am

greenrob:

Many polymer-framed semi-automatic pistols have play between the slide and frame when they are empty. Glocks and S&W M&Ps also. The slide is generally supported by only 4 narrow contact points imbedded in the frame.

When the loaded magazine is inserted, the pressure of the top round against the underside of the slide generally removes that play.

My .40 P99 AS was so reliable that it is what I chose to give my son to use in his CHL class.

Very few handguns are "silent" when shaken. Revolvers included.
HadEmAll

Postby HadEmAll » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:12 am

tinmancr:

I don't questions a person's opinions. But I will question misinformation whenever I see it.

As you said if you were shooting with aftermarket magazines you have no room to comment on reliability, even though you did.

There is no restriction on shooting +P ammo in Glocks or the Walther P99. The Glock manual, which some people actually read before commenting, says you can use any "high quality commercially manufactured ammunition". The P99 manual, again actually read by some, just says to use ammo of the correct caliber that falls under SAAMI specs. which +P does.

The P99 safety, just like on Glocks, is between the ears. On the AS, which you used, it's the long double-action pull. There are inner safeties that keep the striker from moving unless the trigger is pulled in the SA mode.

You say you rate by facts. Clearly not the case.
HadEmAll

Postby retiredoldfart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Just bought a 9mm version with the as trigger. Will shoot it in the next couple days. I will put it throught several ammo brands. I'll post my thoughts about the gun then.
retiredoldfart

Postby HadEmAll » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:38 pm

If I ever see a 9mm AS, I will buy it in a heartbeat. I miss the heck out of my .40 AS. I gave it to my son so he would have a reliable home defense semiauto. Mine never failed in any way through close to 900 rounds. Ultra reliable.

Steve Bedair makes a stainless steel recoil spring guide rod for the P99 if you are interested.
HadEmAll

Postby edteach2u » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:51 am

I have held this gun several times and it feels great in the hands. I have not shot it so I can not comment on the guns reliability. If I had a gun to sell and replace I would look at getting one. But I have an SR9, Beretta, 6906 and others so I can not justify buying another 9. That said its the one gun that I really like. Its looks are very attractive and the feel was great. [sounds like a great date] Price is about where others are, and the 40 is cheaper, I guess everyone wants the 9mm.
edteach2u

Postby retiredoldfart » Sun May 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Love this gun 9mm as trigger accurate no jams over 100 rounds flawless.
retiredoldfart

Postby mthasty » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:55 pm

I've had the S&W 99 for nearly a decade and have yet to experience any issues with it. What is the difference between the two if any. Only problem is the rail it just a tad too short to accept most lights or lasers. Have bought severl guns I thought would be my primary but I keep coming back to it.
mthasty

Postby ACPGUY » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:31 pm

I love this pistol! It rivals my HK P200SK. More ergonomic, bit it is a full size frame. Very acurate, never had a jam (1000) rnds.
ACPGUY

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols