>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Walther P99 QA Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby greenrob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:15 pm

@razr: I purchased it for the well known quality that I feel that this manufacturer has always exhibited. I also figured that German made would be better than other countries. It was also light weight, and compact in size. Price was really no object, but I really thought this would have the highest possible quality standards. My Beretta 92fs compact has no play and does not make noise when you shake it. But I felt the strong need to replace the Beretta because it misfired several times recently and I can never again depend on it. I would have purchased a Glock, but in MA, it is almost impossible to get a new model; everything here is used. New was critical because I did not want someone else's problems. The range is not very close to my home and I've been very busy with work. So I still have not fired it yet. I am still giving the benefit of the doubt with 4 stars, when really maybe it should get 2 stars. I even have slight fear that it will explode in my hand during the first firing!!
greenrob

Postby Rez_Duane » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:04 pm

It's not going to explode in your hand. It's a well-made firearm and you'll enjoy it when you get used to it . . . like just about any other.
Rez_Duane

Postby greenrob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 pm

@Rez You are right, it worked pretty good. After two test clips, I scored 16 in a row in the center. (oops, but only at 5 yards). But the compact model is so small in my hand, I shaved some skin off the back bone of my thumb. Unfortunately, I also got a hot shell casing between my glasses and my eye and got burned a bit. Next time I am going to stick with my funky shooting classes instead.
greenrob

Postby Rez_Duane » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm

@greenrob: Yeah, it's a nice little pistol although I've come to prefer the Glock because of its trigger action. I really like the way the Walther fits my hand better than the Glock.

The hot casing sounds like misery.
Rez_Duane

Postby Mort65 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:30 am

My only problem with Walther is getting parts!!! I love the gun other than that.Might have to switch to Glock?
Mort65

Postby Rez_Duane » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:21 am

@Mort64: Dunno. I found a pretty good list of parts & repairs by running a search on the net.
Rez_Duane

Postby Mort65 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 am

I searched the net and everything had to go through S&W
Mort65

Postby Tinmancr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 am

I tested a relatives p99as it is the supposed double/single action version.

it has two actions the double one is real the single is two stage and very weird like no sa I've used.

the gun I shot had aftermarket mags so I cannot comment on reliability. "with them it jammed 3/40 times worst of any gun I've used"

I shot it at 7-15yds it had ok combat accuracy, far too much flip and sights are just sad.

I will rate it mechanically does not have good lockup on barrel "also recoil spring just sits there very little engagement.

the trigger is either looong and creepy or short light and unsafe like the rest of the gun.

during the test I shot a glock .40sub it was a little more accurate in 2 people's hands.

the glock does have the same lockup problem, this is why you are not to shoot +p loads in a glock.

to test rack the gun put it back in battery flip over and press thumb against barrel see how hard it is too force it out of battery.

sorry walther fans I rate by facts not hype, buy an xd or a Hi point in all flavors they can shoot +p.
Tinmancr

Postby greenrob » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 pm

I would have purchased a Glock, but in MA, you cannot buy one new. Everything is used and/or old. Sick actually!
greenrob

Postby Tinmancr » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:11 am

uh why out of curiosity the lack of a safety?

I am kinda lucky we have pretty good gun laws up here.

the new xdms have a safety and if you have average to large hands they are very good.

otherwise get a sig they don't look like the other super duties but they are probably better.
Tinmancr

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols