>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber CDP Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby ranger351w » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:14 am

Run another IDPA match and the custom shop CDP 4" stainless is flawless. several hundred rnds.Lost count.

All I have to say.

Think I will Get a 5"
ranger351w

Postby chrt396 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:33 pm

I have the Pro CDP II. It is a very accurate gun and a good looking piece as well. The only fault I have with the gun is the black coating on the frame is extremely thin! It is easily scratched. Breaking the gun down to clean presents it's own issues. But that's another story. I have set it down at the range and if I drop an empty magazine and it lands on the frame of this Kimber, it leaves a nick in the black finish. I bought a gun touch-up marker just to touch it up every time I clean it. I'm very careful with my guns and do not abuse them, but this is one touchy gun. I bought some nice Kimber Carbon fiber grips that add a lot of "Bling" to the firearm. Other than the finish and disassembly of the gun..it's a great pistol. I would deduct 1 bullet for that alone!
chrt396

Postby Patrol » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Ok guys have not been here in a long time. UPDATE. SOLD IT. I did put up to nine hundred rounds through it and it came down to what I stated in my last post. I did not trust this Ultra model because other than the Wilson magazines it did have various failures to feed. I know some talk of break in periods and other mags the bottom line is this, I will not pay over 1k for a pistol that comes with a crappy magazine and is only totally reliable with enhancement of pricey wilson mags ever again. I love Kimbers just as I love my Pro carry and I think that is the key. I have owned compact three inch 1911's and the Ultra is no exception, the 1911 is not meant for the compact barrel, I guess the extra inch does matter because my two 4 inchers both have 1k plus rounds through them with not one reliability issue. If you wan't a CDP do yourself a favor and get a Procarry sized one or the Classic sized model. I will buy more Kimbers in the future, they are awesome pistols but never again an Ultra model. Just my opinion. Besides the four inch alloy framed Pro models are just right as you can read in my review on my Pro Carry II model I got for half the price as the disappointing Ultra CDP i sold. No regrets.
Patrol

Postby keyman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Well patrol . . . I'm sorry to hear of your CDP II 3" not treating you right.

My CDP II 3" 9mm is one of the most accurate guns that I have. I've made a few posts here, and they've all been positive. Too bad that yours didn't work out for you.

My experiences with the Kimber mags has also been good. I do have other brands of mags, and they all work well with the gun.

Did your gun act up from the beginning, or was it after several hundred rounds ? ?
keyman

Postby armsdealer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey guys seems like we have a lot of peaple that love kimbers, my problem is I am a first timers with this brand and want a kimber for carry I was thinking the ultra cdp II 3 inch barrel as opposed to the raptor II with similar lenth barrel if available. Any suggestions?
armsdealer

Postby keyman » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi armsdealer . . . if you read the post that precedes my last one of 8/23/10, you can get an idea of the difference between the three and four inch barrels if you put many hundreds of rounds through them.

My Kimbers are all three inch, and after many hundreds of rounds through them, there has been no problems at all. One Kimber owner said that he had to replace the return spring after several hundred rounds, but if you don't plan to put that many rounds through the gun in a short period of time I believe that you can expect a long life from it.

My three inch guns are excellent carry guns. If you use a wide belt with a good holster, you can get used to it very quickly.
keyman

Postby shotgunbill » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:22 pm

no doubt in my mind, Kimber magazines ddo not cut it. Thank God they only send you one! Wilson Combat mags are flawless in all my Kimbers (8) and I wouldn't use the factory mag in any circumstance
shotgunbill

Postby Doriadiver » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 pm

I have the Ultra Carry II (3") and Aegis Pro 9mm (4) Love em both with factory mags. I have never had an issue with either and they are my two favorite pistols of which I have many. Can't go wrong with a Kimber....Worth every penny!
Doriadiver

Postby Lrose51 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Shotgunbill:

I agree with you that Wilson Combat makes an excellent magazine. I have several of them. I also have 7 kimber mags, three of which are kimPro. They have all worked flawlessly, as have the Wiscon Combat magazines. I am curious as to what specific problem(s) that you are having with the one(s) for the CDP? I have an Ultra CDP.
Lrose51

Postby LevelCross » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 am

I just added a Ultra CDP II to my collection, it was love at first sight, the kind of gun that just feels right in your hand. I am hoping to get to the range in the next few days to give her a run. I was looking for additional mags and saw posts about the KimPro and Wilson Combat mags, I am thankful for the input. I'll be picking a couple up tomorrow. I will post a rating later after a few hundred rounds down range.
LevelCross

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols