>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber CDP Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby girphoto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 pm

just purchased a new CDP II Custom Shop 45 with 3" barrel and 1 extra KIMPRO 7 rd mag. The shop did not have a great deal of 7 rd 45 mag's and if anyone has any suggestions on the type of mag's that they like for this gun, it would be appreciated (I am a SIG shooter P239 in 9 and P238 in 380) and wanted to get back to a 45. I will be shooting it for the first time today and will be able to post a rating later. Thanks
girphoto

Postby g4l » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:00 pm

I like the Wilson Combat mags in all My 1911's. I use model # 47OXC in My 3" Ultra Raptor.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines_compact.asp
g4l

Postby keyman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 pm

The Kimber mags have been flawless for me after several hundred rounds, but I found some Act-Mag mags at a gun show recently and they have been flawless, too. They are made in Italy.
keyman

Postby Lrose51 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:34 pm

I have put several thousand rounds through my Ultra CDP. I have had it back to the factory once several years ago for failure to feed/eject problems. They replaced the slide and had it back to me in short order. Since then, I have not had a failure regardless of the magazine that I use (or the ammo), including Wilson Combat (Excellent), Chip McCormick, and both the standard and Pro from Kimber. When I carry I use the Kimpro mags for my self defense rounds. When I practice I use all the diffent brands. I stick to the better known brands and avoid gun show cheap ones.
Lrose51

Postby girphoto » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks to all that reaponsed. Just gotback from the range and I must say that it was a pleasure to shoot. Will look this weekend at the West Palm Beach gun show for some additional mag's (wilson or kimpro).

Also picked up a Galco pancake (now in the draw with the CDP in a plastic)and it should be ready for use in a day or two. Now trying different loads to decide on a carry load. Other than the range ammo,i shot 180 gr. Gold Dot. Will look for the new critical defense in 45.
girphoto

Postby Lrose51 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 pm

I use both the Galco USA and the Concealable Carry. Excellent leather. Both conceal very well. I live in Phoenix and the USA is good here in warm weather. The Concealable Carry rides tght against the body and is canted well for easy access. They are a little pricy, but they wear forever. Leather is easier on the gun and is silent.
Lrose51

Postby girphoto » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:45 pm

The Galco conceled carry looks like it will work out great. I am also thinking ordering a Mitch Rosen Summer Special. Has anyone changed the springs to Wolf springs?
girphoto

Postby Lrose51 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:58 pm

I have used Wolff in my Taurus PT92 and they are very good. I can't say that I notice a difference from the original spring that was in there. I have used ISMI in my Kimber Ultra CDP II. Again these do a good job and I got them from Brownell's. Ultras need to have their springs changed more often than larger models. I purchased the standard length springs and cut them down. If I remember correctly, it takes 10 turns so, you should be able to get 2 to 3 spings out of each one. It looks as though the standard length have about 29 turns. Use 18 pound or whatever is recommended for your gun. I believe that Kimber sells an entire kit that you could just basically drop in.
Lrose51

Postby girphoto » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:57 am

Just ordered a pair of elk grips for my CDP 45 in 3 in from Eagle grips. They made a pair of checkered rosewood grips for my Sig P239 and they are great. Hope the grips arrive before Santa's raindeer know they are short one antler ( ha..ha..ha..) happy holidays to all.
girphoto

Postby keyman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 pm

You may have heard the old "same tune, second, third, fourth, etc., etc. verse." Well every time that I take my two 9mm Kimbers to the range, that's the way it sounds. One is a CDP II, and the other is an Aegis II. Both have 3" barrels.

Both guns are as accurate as can be w/my age and style of shooting, and as flawless as the day is long!!! Again, I was using two different brands of ammo, rotating them w/five different magazines on each gun, 50 rounds each. Maintaining the guns the way I do, they just never flub up. The Kimbers are excellent guns. Just can't say enough good about them.
keyman

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols