>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kimber Custom Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby bcjwriter » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:47 pm

I have a Custom TLE/RL series II as my police duty gun. It doesnt jam or have any other issues that I cant trace directly to the magazines. (The Kimpro Tac Mags dont fare so well...but others will do just fine)

This is one of the most accurate weapons I have. Put on a Surefire X200 and its a great combo. I can always depend on that gun when the chips are down. Some may have had bad experiences with some Kimbers, but I have 100% confidence in this gun.
bcjwriter

Postby Kimberfan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 pm

I recenlty purchased a Kimber Custom Stainless TLE II and Im most Impressed. I had my Kimber Pro Carry II taken away for evidence purposes after I was involved in an on duty shooting in which my Kimber Pro shot flawlessly. I also own a Kimber Pro Carry II compact that I use a backup. No problems from either of my Kimbers, maybe Im lucky, but I love and depend on them every day.
Kimberfan

Postby aaronrkelly » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 am

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II (internal extractor) that has been flawless to date. I ditched the factory mags straight off and ordered some Wilson Combats.

Gun is accurate and reliable....the aluminum frame makes it very carry friendly but recoil is a bit stout and I find the gun very flippy.

I added night sights to mine and use it as a daily carry gun - its holding up will after 2+ years of holster wear and shooting.
aaronrkelly

Postby yrralw » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:04 am

I fired my Kimber TLE II this last weekend. Had first & last round jams with the Kimber mags. Droped my wife Colt mag in and had no issues. I bought some Wilson mags should fix the problem. Other than that the gun is great and I love it.
yrralw

Postby tazz500 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:27 am

I have owned several kimber 1911 frame pistols and have to admit that all the negative reviews baffle me. My latest purchase was a full size TLE stainless and I have fired at least 1000 rounds through this pistol with kimber magazines, stopping to clean every 200 rounds and thus far have only experienced one misfeed, which was potentially due to a misspaced reload. The gun fires more accuratly than any glock I own and is a pleasure to shoot due to the awesome stability and accuracy. If you are thinking about a Kimber I would say go for it, just buy from a dealer who can assist you in getting warrent service if you end up with a lemon. This is an American made product and there will be those monday morning or late friday afternoon units that come of the assembly line, but out of the dozens of handguns I own, Kimber is still number one in my book.
tazz500

Postby gunnutz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:16 pm

There is an interesting article in Feb./March issue of Handguns by Dan C. Johnson. Mr. Johnsons article How Much Do You Trust Your Autoloader addresses all of the issues and possible solutions I read on this web site!
gunnutz

Postby jallison » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:15 am

Im still rating my 1911 in 40 smith a 5. I have a suggestion for you guys that are having malfunctions. Im having a great time with mine and I shoot Remington 155 grain hollow point in 40 smith. Just a little light for the 1911 and absolutely the wrong ammo as far as it not being ball ammo.

1, check your mags. and lube the slider

2, check your ammo, Im shooting hollow point. The 1911 prefers ball.

3, make your ammo heavy and hot at least until you get 500 rounds through it

4, pay very special attention to the ramp that the bullet slides on, brush it with a brass brush and keep it lubed with tri-flow.

you dont have to spray it on just get some on your finger and wipe it on it last for ever, you will not need more until you clean it again. this ramp is one of the area that need to be broken in.

5, Take it from a firearms instructor and retired Border Patrol Agent, strip your weapon, clean it well, put a drop of lube on the table, place the lube on your weapon only where you want it and no where else. rub the lube down with your naked finger so that you do not have blobs of lube on your weapon and use a lube such as tri-flow or other Teflon lube.
jallison

Postby gunnutz » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:10 pm

excellent information!
gunnutz

Postby qncy_blw » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:03 am

Went by my local gun store and found that theyre having a year end clearance. Spotted a Kimber Gold Match II and its going for 20% off! The fit and finish is immaculate, a real gorgeous piece. This, coupled with its sale price made for an unpassable combination. I already have six handguns chambered in 45ACP but one cant have to many 1911s. Its now on layaway, but looking forward to picking it up and take it to the range.
qncy_blw

Postby jallison » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:24 pm

I was reading some of the earlier replies and discovered that some had reliability questions.

Reliability is always a question, no matter what weapon you choose. That is why the TAP RACK BANG method of clearing the weapon exist. If that dont work then it is STRIP (mag), Rack(clear), Insert (new Mag), rack, (reassess) Bang. Of course REASSESs should always come before bang, you should always reassess after every clearing procedure.

If you are using your weapon for self defense and you cant perform these maneuvers within about 3 seconds then you should not point that gun at anyone. you probably should not show it to anyone until you can. you will look awfully silly standing there with a stove pipe looking at your weapon while a perpatraitor is pumping you full of 9MM holes.
jallison

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols