>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Kel-Tec P-11 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby rgillgil » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:53 pm

I got over a year of ownership on my P11 fired close to 800 rounds on it, mostly use range ammo and only had 6 FTF on this gun (during rapid fire and all range ammo), as most of you know this is not a range gun, it will make your hand hurt especially if you do not have the extension (real cheap) for the pinky. I'm a LE officer and started to carry it as a backup but realize it was too heavy for ankle carry. I consider it reliable enough for that purpose being quite accurate and able to carrry 10 rounds.

I bought a side clip for it which help reducing the bulk when carrying IWB, the only down side on it was that the finish started to deteriorate with the sweat. It didn't matter how much I cared for it after duty by cleaning and lubrication.

Some of the postings talk about not being able to install the pin after disasembly of the gun and after changing the plastic gide rod for a metal one, I had the same problem right from the begining with the plastic one and still have it once in a while. All I do is wiggle it up and down and it falls back in place, don't think it is due to the guide rod being plastic or metal.

I still believe that for the price you are getting an excellent deal and a very reliable piece. I now use it for my wife's car conceled weapon and use a Taurus 709 Slim for my duty backup (another excellent weapon) although only 7 rounds plus on chambered.
rgillgil

Postby theskunk » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:19 pm

I love my kel tec, but my sig sauer p232 jams and is unreliable
theskunk

Postby heynow1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:21 am

Looking to sell my p-11 wanted 200.00 black slide olive drab grip. going to post .
heynow1

Postby roncodrummer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Just picked up a KelTek p11 and took it to the range. Nice piece. Handles fairly well for it's size. Obviously something this small is gonna have alot of recoil, but nothing uncontrollable. I was thinking of adding the grip extension, but after firing it, it is more comfortable just to curl my pinky under the butt of the gun. Ran over 150 rounds through it with no issues. Like the small size for CCW too. Very happy with this purchase. Thanks again to the Gun Hut in East Dubuque, Illinois for this latest addition to my collection!
roncodrummer

Postby rgillgil » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:48 pm

roncodrummer, wait until you buy the extension for that pinky you will see the difference, so much stable and confortable, I got big hands and it fits perfectly. It does have a bit of a recoil but nothing that can't be managed.
rgillgil

Postby roncodrummer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:05 pm

rgillgil- I was looking into it as well as the Pearce PG11 extension. I think I will pick up the Kel Tec extension, just looks more comfortable. What kind of ammo do you feed your P-11?
roncodrummer

Postby rgillgil » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Roncodrummer,

when I go to the range I just shoot range ammo (generics) but when it is in my wife's car in the glove compartment it serves as a backup to the one my wife carries on her purse which is a Taurus Slim 709. On both of them I use the Hornady 9MM Luger 115gr FTX Critical Defense it provides the best expansion needed.
rgillgil

Postby rgillgil » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:21 pm

By the way the keltec extension is cheaper too.. the only thing they get you on the shipping. Try finding it at any gun store locally. Good luck.
rgillgil

Postby roncodrummer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Good choice. I use Cor-Bon Plus P 125 gr. JHP in my carry clips and Federal Champion 115 gr for range use.
roncodrummer

Postby Hay2bale » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:08 pm

My P-11 likes any ammo, any time!

For the range I use Wolf, WOC and Tula and have had no problems. For SD I use a 124 gr HP Georgia Arms factory reloads.

Thanks for the advice on the Kel-Tec mag extensions - although I don't really feel like I really need them on this gun, it fits my hand very well.

I picked up a 12 round Mec-gar magazine from Cheaperthandirt, and it functions perfectly, even tho getting that 12th round in there is challenging. This magazine is the same size as the 10 round that came with the gun, so it is a flush fit. It is hard to believe that such a small gun can hold 13 rounds - an excellent design.

Very nice piece.
Hay2bale

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols