>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Colt Defender Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Colt Defender Reviews

Postby tomhilton2001 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:44 am

I own this weapon. I have fired it over 250 rounds. It is a great gun for inclose shooting (25yards). Anything longer than that is pretty much luck. It is a comfortable weapon to hold, the standard grips are nice in that they are soft enough to get a good grip. I have never had the weappon to jam on me. It is easy to tear down and clean and reassemble.
tomhilton2001

Postby smschulz » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:18 pm

I felt the attraction to this weapon after wanting a carry version of my Combat Elite. After two range sessions my conclusion is this a very good gun. I did experience a jam on the first session but after a new cleaning and lube the second was flaless. Accuracy is very good. Recoil is more evident than a larger frame gun due to the smaller handle. I love the feel, size and rubber grip. I reseve rating it excellent due to the jam in the first session, but am very pleased with it.
smschulz

Postby wicket1313 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:28 am

I do not own this model but just by holding it i can say nothin bad. I own a CZ 75 p 01 and I wanted somethin with a lil more power, and I think i found it! I cant wait to see what it can do. If anyone can give me any heads up on this sweet piece hit me up.... at Wicket1313@tmail.com.
wicket1313

Postby bcjwriter » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Ive had one for just under a year as an off-duty gun. The only negative was that it came new with a broken extractor. To give Colt their due, they made it right with a new one. It looks like the broken one was MIMd, which Colt said they used for a short time. For obvious reasons, they went back to milled for better quality.

As a shooter, I have no complaints. It shoots right on, but the recoil is pretty fierce - about on par with my Glock 27. I cant give it the excellent rating due to the broken extractor, but it is an otherwise excellent gun.
bcjwriter

Postby skatona » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Have this gun on layaway for Christmas. I will rate the gun after I shoot it after Christmas. Reason for posting is that I am trying to get some ideas on concealment holsters. I prefer the IWB type. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
skatona

Postby bcjwriter » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:03 pm

skatona, Ive found that anything from Don Hume is excellent. They have different types of IWBs that are pretty simple and reasonable. I recently heard of a really nice modular unit from Comp Tac too, but I havent actually tried it yet. I guess it really has to depend on how it feels for you.
bcjwriter

Postby skatona » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:18 pm

bcjwriter, thanks. I think I found one to try from there. Thanks again!
skatona

Postby skatona » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Took the gun out to the range shortly after Christmas and put 200 rounds thru it. It was flawless. Handles great. Weight is nice and recoil is not bad for a 3 inch 45 caliber. This has become my favorite carry gun.
skatona

Postby EBG » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:13 pm

Great firearm and good concealment weapon. Put 300 rounds one clip after the other and functioned without a hitch. Love the combat trigger and hammer and the packmyer grip fits like it was custom made. Takedown is easy and cleaning is a breeze. But like with any shorter barrelled gun, accuracy is sacrificed at a further distance. Well worth your money.
EBG

Postby dakota1911 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:04 pm

The best little (about 3 inch) .45 I have shot. I put over 2K rounds through mine and carried it for a couple years. Still have it but now carry a Colt XSE LW Commander which is a few ounces heavier and a little bigger but you can get hits out further and I live in a more rual environment.
dakota1911

Next

Return to Pistols