>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Colt 1991 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks Will Carry

When you buy a used firearm, you don't always get the exact factory isssue parts. You also don't know why the other guy was selling the piece. Looks like the only mag I have that is correct didn't come with the gun. I bought it on GunBroker for $15.00

The pistol was factory Parkerized so the only thing I've added is a set of Warthog grips from Volta Machining on eBay.

That's all I've had to do to it. It's complete and ready for my needs.
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby neverenough » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:32 pm

If you havn't already,.....check out Coltautos.com. Colt utilized many slight variations within a given model and year of manufacture.

I tried (again) to provide a link, but I'm still crap with computors!

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:07 pm

I am very familiar with Coltautos.com.

Great website. I have 6 Colts now and trying to refrain from buying any more. I have 3 1903 32s, 1 1908 .380, 1 SAA .45 Long Colt and now this 1991. I don't need any more guns! I Cant' afford any more guns, My wife won't let me near another gun. I really shouln't scan GunBroker.com which is my favorite hunting ground. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER GUN. I SWEAR. unless its a Colt.
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby neverenough » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Hey TEXVET,....You do have a most excellent collection of Colts going there! "I will not buy another gun..." .

I'll swing by and pick you up....we'll go Colt shoppin'!!

neverenough
....If you happen to find dog poop on your boot, DO NOT kick the dog....think it through for a moment.....
neverenough

Postby TEXVETNAM67-68 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:42 pm

Whoa Pardner,

Going shopping with a Colt is called Armed Robbery in Texas so we'll go shopping for Colts. Needed to clear that up!

Back to the 1991 Colts.

I just put on a set of "Volta Machining" G-10 Warthog grips with stainless hex screws and escutions. The Stanless screw heads with the black grips is awesome. Really gives the black parkerized pistol an ominous look. Found them on eBay.

Volta wording is:

"G-10 is a laminate comprised of a flame retardant epoxy resin and a woven fiberglass substrate. The result is very strong material that will not crack, chip, or warp. G-10 remains impervious to solvents, salt water, and other types of moisture."

Warthog refers to the texture of the grips. I think you could dip your hand in axle grease and still have a secure grasp of the pistol using these grips. No I don't sell them, just use them. When you find sometning this good, you share the knowledge.
TEXVETNAM67-68

Postby edteach2u » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:33 am

I purchased a series 80 SS new in box. Its my 9th colt, I have owned several over the years and have a 1943 made Colt in 95% condition that is a safe queen. The gun is a bit finicky on reloads. It feeds fine but tolerances are tight and some will not go into battery with out a bit of help. I think its more the resizing dies than the gun. The only problem I have had is the long trigger I absolutely hate. I put a new short SS trigger on it and its much better. The last trip to the range the rear sight came loose. A bit of red lock tite and it seems to be OK. I will take in and shoot a bit more and see if it holds or the site is off now as there is not line to tell where the site should be aligned. Colt customer service is very very poor. Every time I have called they brush me off as if I am a nuisance.
edteach2u

Previous

Return to Pistols