>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Browning BDA Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Browning BDA Reviews

Postby ActiveFan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:12 am

The Browning BDA 380 pistol was introduced in 1980 or so as a compact and lightweight pistol for police and civilian use. The gun was manufactured in Italy under contract from FN Herstal (Belgium) and marketed as FN model 140DA (in Europe) or Browning BDA 380 (in USA). Some sources said that BDA 380 is a copy of Beretta 84, but close inspection shows some differences (i.e. Beretta 84 has frame mounted safety while BDA 380 has slide mounted safety). The manufacture of the BDA 380 was ceased circa 1997. It was adopted by Belgian police.

The BDA 380 is a blowback operated, double action semi automatic pistol. It has aluminium alloy frame and steel slide. Ambidextrous slide mounted safety switch disconnects the trigger from the hammer when engaged. The pistol featured low profile fixed sightst and was available in either polished steel or blued finish, with wooden grip panels.
ActiveFan

Postby hemiram » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:06 am

I bought a BDA after a friend let me shoot his. It was absolutely reliable, very accurate, and I regret ever selling it.
hemiram

Postby markhowe » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:02 pm

Bought a BDA 380/blued in 1993 for my wife to carry. She and I have both carried it at times. It is easy to conceal, comfortable to carry. Hi-capacity is an advantage. To me the gun has a few good similarities to my Hi-Power - easy to take down and clean and easy to operate. The gun balances well - like my hi-power it is a natural pointer and I have found accuracy to be very very good.

My only concern about the gun was after I bought it - I read the owners booklet and it discourages the use of anything except ball ammunition. As a self-defense carry gun, a .380 is marginal in my opinion, but to use with ball ammo only? Thats not anything that makes me warm and fuzzy.

My wife and I have shot hundreds of rounds of both ball and hollow point (factory only) ammo through it - have only experienced one feed mishap when an empty shell of a ball ammunition failed to fully eject - to the guns credit, it was some pretty cheap ammo. I have noticed that the ball ammunition seems to chamber a little more smoothly than the hollow points, but have not had a failure to eject or feed any hollow point ammo so far and usually carry Corbon Hollow Points in it. Thirteen in the mag, one in the chamber.

Would love to hear from other owners as to the question of your experience with hollow points in the BDA 380.
markhowe

Postby bluevolt » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:36 pm

I picked up my browning at a gun show for a good price and I love it. It shoots great, feels great. But I have one problem when disassembling. The slide is very hard to get off of the frame. I have heard that if shooting high pressure loads it may tweak the frame or cause the frame to expand out ward.

I have never shot anything other than factory loads. Anyone else out there have this problem?
bluevolt

Postby Concealer » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:45 pm

My BDA is 9 years old. It is extreamly reliable!! never ever had a misfire or anything. I've fed it hps and ball ammo without an incident. I have read the manual but do not remember reading anything againt using hps, I recall something about ball ammo feeding better than hps but that applies to all semi autos, any ball ammo in any semi will load more smoothly than hps. Like I said I've feed it Silver tips, starfires and aguilas hps not a glitch.

Just love my BDA. The sory is I bought mine because I went to the store looking for a Walther ppk, but the store did not have any that day, but the BDA cought my atention it is better looking, the clerck took it out and I held it in my hand and never did let go. I am so glad no PPK where there that day I simply bought a superior pistol.
Concealer

Postby Toeman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:19 pm

I've had my BDA since 1993, take it out every few years to shoot a couple hundred rounds, I should take it more. Great to shoot, never had a problem. It may be my favorite.
Toeman

Postby KKINDEL » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:03 pm

WOULD LIKE TO HAVE NIB OR COSE TO IT BDA 380. HAD MINE STOLEN. IF YOU HAVE ANY LEADS PLEASE E MAIL KKINDEL@HESS.COM ( MUST BE BLUE)
KKINDEL

Postby bronson » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:19 am

How much do these usually go for?
bronson

Postby bronson » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:13 pm

How much would these go for brand new? and used, but well taken care of?
bronson

Postby Toeman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:02 pm

I have seen this gun in nickel at Cabela's for $618. It is hard to find these at gun shows, I think people hold on to them.
Toeman

Next

Return to Pistols