>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Llama Minimax Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Llama Minimax Reviews

Postby rasafrasit » Mon May 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Absoute garbage. I bought one used from a guy who rarely shot it and now I know why; it spits flakes of carbpon and sparks after about 10 rounds, it is wildly inaccurate, poorly constructed, nearly impossible to break down, the grips shift when firing, it jams consistently. I dumped it for a pretty little Bernardelli .32 and got the better deal for sure. Avoid these pieces of junk at all costs.
rasafrasit

Postby SouthFLcc » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:33 pm

My father has owned one of these for nearly 20 years. Although it is not the most well constructed handgun, it is ideally suited for concealed carry. If you keep it clean and regularily maintained, it will serve you well. I have shot this at a local indoor range several times and have put close to 200 rnds consecutively thru it and have had no problems. the accuracy at long distances sucks, what a surprise, but it was not desighned for this. Accuracy from 1 to 20 yds is decent enough, about a 3 inch grouping at 20 yds. If you want a gun that can deliver the firepower in a small package at close distances at the time you need it the llama Minimax will do its job. provided you maintain it properly.
SouthFLcc

Postby Mooko » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:50 pm

I bought mine, a duotone, from the sporting goods store where I worked. A local know-it-all bought it. He brought back the pieces in a bag two days later. He had disassembled it, cleaned it, and reassembled improperly. The slide stop pin was not inserted all the way. When he shot it, the slide stop broke and the slide jammed. Of course, he blamed the gun. We gave him his money back. I then bought it for $100 dollars, got a new slide stop from Llama, and put it back together. Something had been warped when the thing flew apart because the slide would stick before it went completely into battery. On visual instection, I couldnt detect anyhing bent, bent something was not sliding correctly. I took a bit of fine valve grinding compound mixed with oil, put it in the rail guides and worked the action a few minutes. After cleanup, it is very tight but smooth as glass. It functions flawlessly with 230 gr hardball. Thats all I shoot in my 45s anyway. It is a dandy to stick in my bacl pocket when I walk the dogs in the woods. Several armadillos wish I had never bought the thing.
Mooko

Postby EBG » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:26 pm

Bought one brand new and jammed every 2nd or third clip. After putting 50 rounds it finally started shooting better (jammed probably about every 4th or 5th clip). Maybe it just needs breaking in. Quite heavy too if you are used to lightweight firearms like glocks. I recommend not to carry this without a backup firearm.
EBG

Postby epwrangler » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:27 pm

I owned a number of the old star pd aluminum frame guns. They were 45acp. I enjoyed them as they were light and easy to carry. Never ahd a problem with them. M. Ayoub recommended them as carry a lot shoot a little guns.
epwrangler

Postby hammerdrop » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:01 pm

about one year ago i bought a Llama minimax .45 acp used, only because i got a real good deal on it. after taking it to the range i was impressed with the very good accuracy. it functioned flawlessly with the 250 rounds of 230gr. hardball. the only set backs were firing some hollow point rounds, three ftf's out of 20 rounds. also finding xtra mags. can be a problem, at a good price.
hammerdrop

Postby rdawber » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:30 pm

I have a Llama mini-max 40 that I purchased used from a fellow employee. I replaced the grips and bought new clips. The gun shooits quite accurately but all of a sudden started jamming by not fully seating the round in the chamber. You can not push the slide forward to seat the round you need to fully eject it. It did not do this when I first bought it. I did polish the chamber for a smoother entry and this seemd to work a little. It is clean and I have tried usjng dry lube in addition to gun lube.

Any suggestions?
rdawber

Postby sp1neless » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:02 pm

i also own a llama mini max sub compact, when i first got it it jammed. took it back found that the clip was bent, since then i have put a few sti parts in it and polished the barrel ramp shots everything i put in it now.
sp1neless

Postby nefprotector » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:53 am

This was another bad handgun for me. It would rust like an old Chevy truck and hit way low at 7 yards. One good thing it was reliable with Round nose full metal jackets. But other that that buy something else.
nefprotector

Postby stevemoore » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:23 pm

I have a llama minimax in 45acp. It has a problem with ejection. can anyone advise me what to try to fix this problem. I have also been told that colt parts will interchange with llama. Is this true. Love the gun but if I cant get it to work will have to buy a diff. gun
stevemoore

Next

Return to Pistols