>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Hi-Point 40/45 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby TNT.45 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:00 am

I have 4 Hi-Points. One carbine, two 9mm with the compensators and a .45. They are ugly and cheap in price, but all of mine have functioned to my likings. The 9s shoot above average for a under $200 gun. The .45 is not as good but at least my mag stays in. The carbine is fun, pretty accurate and I dont mind when its bouncing around in the back of the Wrangler.

It all boils down to what you want and expect from a weapon. These are not guns I would use to defend my life... thats what Sigs are for. Hi-Points are great for plinking and you dont cry when they get scratched up.
TNT.45

Postby CON-T » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:00 am

I HAD THE .45ACP FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND SOLD IT TO GET A RUGER .45ACP.I WOULD OWN ANOTHER HI POINT...BUT NOT AS MY ONLY WEAPON. IT WOULD HAVE TO BE MY 5TH OR 6TH GUN IN MY COLLECTION. SOMETHING TO TAKE TO THE RANGE AND PLAY WITH, BUT NOT AS A DEFENSE WEAPON. ID HAVE TO GET A BETTER GRIP ON IT.
CON-T

Postby Rawhide » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:50 pm

Baught this about a month ago. I baught it becuase the carbine and the pistol use the same mags, and thats a rare nicety imho. Put several rounds through it without a problem, hardly notice any recoil, though I know its there somewhere.

Only drawback I have found is that because of its size (width primarily) I am having trouble finding a holster of any kind for it.

Additionally, if anyone knows how to un-slippy the grips that would be nice, thought about rubber dipping them but thats not supposed to stick to plastic if I understand correctly.

Im givin it a 5 for ease of use and cost reasons...also except for the ugly and the problems finding a holster I cant find anything to complain about.
Rawhide

Postby CON-T » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:37 pm

they got what you call a slip on grip that would probably work on the hi point. i hated those grips and ive got a big hand. it used to slip and slide in my hand. ive got a llama 9mm w/ wooden grips. i dont know which is worse!.i bought a driving glove thats made out of rubbery, vynl. try that...it works for me. as for finding a holster...i hope youre not gonna try and make that thing a ccw...
CON-T

Postby rwkelly » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:50 pm

I bought a hi-point .40 as my first handgun. If I could afford a better gun I would have, but as a broke grad student, Ill take what I can get. So far Ive got about 400 rounds through it with only 2 feed issues early on, like the first two mags. I think breaking them in a little bit took care of that (crosses fingers) As for the slippery grip, I found a cheap solution for an equally cheap gun. I used a small hunk of bicycle innertube and it seems to do the trick, for me at least.
rwkelly

Postby _Blitz » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:17 pm

Hi-Point pistols are not to bad for the price, they are as accurate as the person behind em. I dont own one, but I have shot several.

The Hi-point carbines make up for the bad reputation, im gonna get the 9mm model soon. I like the beretta carbines, but you cant beat the price of hi-point. http://www.mkssupply.com/carbine.asp

several add ons

Only thing the gun needs is maybe an extended clip
_Blitz

Postby Mikel » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:02 pm

I find this thread interesting. I own two HPs, a 9mm and a 45. I also own two Colt 1911s, a Glock 17 and a new 38, and a Beretta 92. I prefer shooting the HP 45 over any of the rest. It fits my hand better and is much more comfortable to shoot. The HPs and the GL 38 are the only guns I own that have never needed to be returned for repairs.

I carry a gun as part of my job, I wouldnt own the 92 if it wasnt required, but would not hesitate to carry either of the Hi Points.
Mikel

Postby CON-T » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:41 am

to each his own....i personally think the .45 hp was just too big and bulky with smoothe grips that used to slide in my hand when shot...but it never malfunctioned...to each his own. lincoln or cadillac? chevy or ford? there are always going to be nay-sayers...and there will always be people who love the exact same thing that others absolutely hate...different strokes for different folks...
CON-T

Postby hershey » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:26 am

WOW OPINIONS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE ON THIS, IT IS A CHEAP GUN, I BOUGHT MY 9MM NEW FOR $110, I PUT SEVERAL BOXES OF AMMO THROUGH IT W/ NO PROBLEMS, AND NOW IT IS IN A DISCRETE PLACE IN MY HOME READY FOR USE, I FEEL CONFIDENT IT WILL WORK IF NEEDED, BUT I WILL REACH FOR MY PRIMARY CC WEAPON IF I CAN GET TO IT, BUT I HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IN MY ABILITY TO DEFEND MY HOME W/ IT. MY WIFE PREFERES IT OVER THE OTHER GUNS I HAVE BECAUSE IT IS HEAVY AND HELPS TAKE THE RECOIL(HER OTHER CHOICES ARE 357, OR 45). WHEN I PURCHASED IT, THE SALESMAN STRESSED THAT ALLOT OF CARE BE MADE LOADING THE MAGAZINE AND GETTING IT JUST RIGHT, AS THAT WAS THE MAIN QUALITY ISSUE W/ THE GUN.
hershey

Postby GrOuNd_ZeRo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:21 pm

I am a Hi-Point owner (I own the JCP .40S&W model) and have shot it many times, with over 500 rounds through it, it only jammed on me a few times when the gun was breaking in.

It feeds reliable now, even with JHPs, mine prefers CCI Blazer Brass but other HPs like Winchester White box or more rarely Remington UMC.

The magazines need a little more attention, the feed lips have sharp edges and should be smoothed out and the round should be tipped up slightly otherwise it will not load properly (esspecially in guns straight out of the box).

It shoots accurately with its fixed barrel and I could consistantly hit a Shoot.N.C. with it from the 15 yd line.

I paid only 180 including all fees and taxes and is defintitly on par with pistols in the same price range.

in regards to Hi-Point there are only 2 people, those who like them and those who have never shot them.

Dealers dont like them either since they dont make much money off of them and will say anything to badmouth this gun.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols