>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 23 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby JustBen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Don't get me wrong, the G23 is a great pistol and I own one for the same reasons you do. But, the 9mm is more accurate and shot placement does trump caliber. It sure sounds like a good idea to at least have the 9mm conversion barrel for practice and those long training weekends.
JustBen

Postby cbruster » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:07 pm

I disagree with your statement that a 9mm is more accurate than a .40 S&W. I shoot a Glock 35 on a league and I shoot it as accurately as I do a .45 ACP and 9mm. The bullet is going to fly straight down the axis of the bore with acceptable ammunition. I would agree with a statement that second shot placement time of a .40 is longer due to the increased recoil. I also do not like to train with a different caliber that what I'm going to fight my way out of a jam with.
cbruster

Postby JustBen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:25 pm

In stressful situations I tend to heel the G23 and shoot high right. I believe it is the extra recoil that works against my personal ability to be accurate. For whatever reason I shoot the 9mm with a little less recoil anticipation and more confidence. If I want to shoot the G23 accurately I can do so target shooting and taking my time, but if I want speed and accuracy under stress I prefer the 9mm.

Just my own personal experience. I do not disagree with anything you have said.
JustBen

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:04 am

@cbruster: I appreciate your participation here and welcome you to our forum. But sir, when one of our members that is simply asking for advice is told to go purchase some Summers Eve Douche and use a 9mm barrel instead of working to give him an answer for his actual question, perhaps you could try to provide a better answer. (Edited)

@Justben: Have you attempted switching up your recoil springs? As you know the standard in a Glock 23 is a captive 18# spring on a flexible polymer shaft. I had the same issue you did and purchased a 18# EFK Dragon spring on a SS captive rod. I purchased the same weight to see what difference a solid rod would have on performance and accuracy. I was pleased to see positive results all around. Since it came down to solid vs. flexible rods, I have to contribute it to that. If I were you I'd try a non captive rod and a few different weights to see if you have any improvement in those problem areas. One other thing, my 23 is a Gen 2 and I place a Hogue Hand All sleeve on it with finger grips and that gave me a much better grip on it. I know you've done extensive work on you grip angle and trigger well, so that is also something I would suggest. Let me know how it goes.

Tig
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby tigwelder56 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:47 am

One additional thing I just dug up regards the new Gen. 4 Glocks, all of them except the G26 and G27 models. GLOCK is replacing the return spring assembly in all Gen4s sold before July 22, 2011 at no cost. If yours is a Gen 4 model, it may be part of the problem. Here's the Glock page describing it http://us.glock.com/customer-service/recoil-spring-exchange
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby JustBen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 am

Thanks Tig:

I did hear about the problems with the new recoil springs on the Gen4. I was initially interested in upgrading from my Gen3 because they shrunk the Gen4 bulge on the back of the handle down a bit. Not much though. I think this is part of the issue since in old age I might not be able to extend my arms hard enough to eliminate the heeling.

I also have as you recommended a stainless steel captive guide rod with a standard 18# spring. That did help me. I have not tried a non captive one though.

Thanks for the tips.

JB

PS: So are you saying that using SE on my barrel will not reduce the recoil. It sure might make it smell better though - LOL
JustBen

Postby Jetsburg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:14 am

Wow! It's interesting how when someone finds a cool retrofit to his pistol some of you "experts" jump down their throat. Now I'm sure you're all some kind of mercenary dudes who kill for a living but I'm just a small town guy who likes to shoot a lot and share my experiences with other interested parties. This site has always been a fun sight to share information and not be criticized by those who imagine themselves to be para-military hard asses. Lighten up and enjoy the conversation and don't be critical. You all are entitled to your opinion.
Jetsburg

Postby JustBen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm

@Jetsburg:

One indicator of folks around here is the number of posts they have made. Take a look at their number and if it is really low, don't take any criticism to personally. We all say thing we wish we had not while in rookie status.

Glad you shared the barrel idea. I have been wanting to do that for some time, and I think your experience has convinced me to go ahead. Thanks !

JB
JustBen

Postby Jetsburg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks justben, Regarding the Lone Wolf retro barrell...

But first, I hope no one got the idea that I was offended. I don't get offended. I own a small retail business. If I got offended easily I'd be pissed off all the time :-) ha!ha! I've been around this site long enough to know when to brush off someone's foolish remarks.

That being said, if you order the Lone Wolf 9MM barrel, part #LWD-239N you might want to order the Glock 19 recoil spring with it. The 40 cal spring seems a little too stiff for 9MM. I don't have the part number for the spring since I haven't ordered it yet.

You will also need to order a few 9MM magazines, part #KCI-G1915. At $12.50 each they are cheap and work well.
Jetsburg

Postby JustBen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Excellent. I got my current guide rod and spring online at the glockstore. Sounds like a little time on the internet and I will be all set.

Thanks Bro.

JB
JustBen

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols