>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 23 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby Tinmancr » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 am

I shot my buddies again and it was tolerable, he is shooting a much lighter load.

I do think mine may have been a lemon, by the by yeah .45 is a lower pressure round but the bullet weight still makes recoil too much for some.

and to be honest few mfr make the 1911 ball like the docile wwII loads.

I had a load that would penetrate and destroy a 5 gallon ice block, the 9mm ball failed and did little damage.

I do agree with the harshness or sudden effect of the 9mm or other newer rounds, hahahah also the muzzle flash esp 9mm.
Tinmancr

Postby sawman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:10 pm

I just bought this gun tuesday.....took to range last nite,,,,it shot very well....
sawman

Postby whitehood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:25 pm

It's a superb weapon. The FBI uses it along with a whole host of LEA's. Glock doesn't make lemons and if there is a problem they fix it. With the 3rd generation weapon they've also pretty much solved the grip angle problem that a lot of shooters had with it.
whitehood

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:13 am

I've owned several handguns and haven't owned too many that I like more than my Glock 23. It has been a fabulous pistol, with zero malfunctions, ever. Tinman, I'm getting the impression that you have an issue with Glock in general. If you do, say so and quit dancing around the issue. A problem can be found with anything if that's what you want to prove. When you do however, do it with insurmountable proof. Passion is one thing, proof is another.

Bullet weight does effect recoil but to single out the Glock .40 as something that delivers more than it's competitors, simply because of gun design and/or bullet weight isn't accurate. You compare .45acp WWII loads with current day .40SW loads, why? Will you provide me with some WWII loading data vs. current day and then compare it to current day .40SW loads by bullet weight? You simply can't compare the two, they are similar in one respect only, they are forty caliber rounds and it ends there. I look forward to your comparison. This is a fully charged issue and I know there are many of us anxious to establish some strong comparisons.
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby Tinmancr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:44 am

not sure you want to hear from me but ok yes I do dislike glock for many reasons.

most I stated light guns recoil more.

glocks are light so are many others which I stated on each, every gun recoils different.

I guess my opinions and findings are not good enough for you so I will try to keep them to my self.

do you have a reason for hating Hi-points you seem quite hostile to them?
Tinmancr

Postby whitehood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:28 am

I"m not really trying to pick a fight here, but as many here know I like to deal in facts. Opinion is fine and even better if supported but this recoil argument is just plain flat BS pure and simple. Here is a fact. Female officers choose Glock over just any brand hands down. Go figure. You said you had many problems with the problems. State a few more. Please.
whitehood

Postby tigwelder56 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes, I'd like to hear all about those problems as well. We enjoy your opinions and findings but you need to support your comments with facts. So far it seems like you've got a real dislike for anything Glock, yet you would prefer a Hi Point instead. I'll never understand that. Your impression of quality has me confused. To each his own...
NRA Life Member GOA Member
NAGR Member DAV Life Member Oathkeepers Member
Help Save America, have your liberal spayed or neutered!

Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is one well armed sheep contesting the vote! --The Sheep
tigwelder56

Postby JustBen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:56 pm

The Glock barrel is lower in the frame than most autoloaders, and therefore allows more muzzle flip control since there is less distance between it and your hand/grip (ie: less fulcrum). This also reduces the feel of the recoil IMHO. If recoil or muzzle flip really bothers you and maybe you make rapid successive shots, you can always get a ported barrel. I for one don't think they are worthwhile for self defense and do not like the crap that comes out of them and into your face. Good/correct grip and control of a Glock makes it easy to shoot. I have never had an issue even shooting thousands of rounds of .40 in a single weekend.

I also would not trade less recoil for more weight. If a gun is to heavy, you simply will not be able to carry it all the time.
JustBen

Postby JustBen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:44 pm

While I am on a role here; the Glock grip is also canted slightly more than other guns. This allows you to have your off hand wrist locked in the down position easier than most guns. Of course locking your wrist is extremely important to muzzle control. My Glock 23 is lighter than my FNP-40, but because of the things I have mentioned, is soooooo much easier to shoot and control.
JustBen

Postby whitehood » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:31 pm

I think that Glock has essentially solved the grip angle problem with their fourth gen pistols. Still you've hit the weakness of the design and that is it's long/longer distance accuracy problems. Still for under 10 meters, it is a superb weapon.
whitehood

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols