>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Glock 22 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby kep4321 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:30 pm

USMC66, I have the 9MM conversion barrel for my Glock 22 and it works about 95% when I put in the barrel and use FACTORY Glock 9MM magazines. Every now and then I get a FTE. The reason for this is that the extractor for the .40 doesn't reach in far enough to grab the smaller 9MM shell and the ejector is not angled in far enough to kick out the shell, so it's working off of blow back only to eject, which works for the most part, but is not 100% reliable.

If you aren't using the 9MM conversion for self defense it will most likely be fine for the range as long as you expect the occasional stove pipe or failure to eject. The simple fix provided you have some basic knowledge of Glock disassembly and reassembly is as follows if you are going to want the gun to operate with factory reliability:

1) Buy and install the 9mm loaded spring bearing ($3) and the 9MM extractor ($20) and install in place of the .40 parts in your slide.

2) Buy and install the 9MM trigger mechanism housing w/ejector ($10) and install in the place of the .40 cal part in your lower.

3) Buy a Glock FACTORY 9MM magazine ($30).

Once you make these changes in addition to the conversion barrel you Glock 22 will function as a true Glock 17 9MM. The total conversion to 9MM or back to .40 takes 10-15 minutes if you know what you are doing.

I did mine this way for just for versatility and have had 100% reliability since. I only use the conversion occasionally, but at least I have options.
kep4321

Postby PhantomII » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:42 pm

kep4321- I have a generation 3 Glock 22, did the Lone Wolf Conversion barrel and used KCI Drop Free Mags (CDNN $5.00) and tested it for an article on USA Carry ( http://usacarry.com ), and have run about 1500 rounds through the G22 with conversion (barrel & mag only) and have not had a FTF, FTE problem at all. I also have Glock Factory G17 mags and they look and work just like the KCI Drop Free mags.

Also, a shooting partner of mine has the G27 and did the same conversion to his (barrel & mag) and he has fired close to 1000 rounds through his and he has not had the problem either.

If the "straight ejector" of the .40 is not hitting the 9mm casing, you can angle it slightly with a needle nose pliers, you don't have to replace the whole trigger housing mechanism.

My G22 was a PD Trade In and for it's age, did not show any wear indication (slide, barrel, etc.) and an armorer friend of mine said it looked LNIB, which made me very happy since I only paid $400 for it, the orig. case/kit and 4 mags.

All I know is that this pistol is very reliable in 9mm conversion or natural .40S&W configuration.
PhantomII

Postby kep4321 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:58 pm

PhantomII... Mine is also a Gen 3 Glock 22. It is the ejector you would bend not the extractor. The extractor is on the right side of the slide on the ejection port and it grabs the shell and pulls it to the ejector pin to knock it out in the right direction.

As for bending a part that I intend on using again to put it back to .40 cal? No thanks, I'll spend $10 for the correct part and do it the right way. If these parts did not need to be different between calibers then they would all be the same from the factory, but they aren't.

Like I said before.... For simple range use just a mag and conversion barrel are sufficient. But if you plan on leaving it in a 9MM configuration for carry or home defense, do it right and get the correct parts (they are cheap, about $35) or you may find yourself in a pinch with a malfucntion..... Not fun.....
kep4321

Postby LevelCross » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 am

PhantomII...thanks for the info, not the direction I was looking to go. I was thinking about switching to a G27 from the G26 to get away from two different calibers and to get both of my Glocks shooting the same ammo. After shooting the G27 I figured I would stay with the G26 as it is easier for me to control the recoil with the sub compact. The G22 is one of my favorites and will always be close by when I am home or even closer when the weather permits. Still have not had a single issue with either the G22 or G26, except they keep running out of ammo. I am fortunate to have a great gun shop just a mile down the road so restocking is not a problem.
LevelCross

Postby PhantomII » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 pm

levelcross; There is a group of Glock owners here where I live in SE Missouri that have a variety of Glocks, mainly G17, G26, G22 & G27. A couple had found that the sub-compact G27 was a little stiffer on the recoil, but after they put the mag extender on their magazines it was easy to control. It gives the 'pinky' a place to rest on the grip.

I know a few of the group who have done a 'reverse' conversion, i.e., putting a G27 .40S&W replacement barrel from Lone Wolf into their G26 and using G27 mags and have shot close to a thousand rounds through them with no discernible wear on the frame or slide.

What I like about the Lone Wolf barrels is that the rim of the cartridge is fully supported and a blown head incident on a cartridge is greatly reduced. Accuracy is great, since it is a Match Grade barrel, and if you hand load, you don't have that noticeable "Glock Bulge" on the case head; and you can shoot lead bullets for lowering your "plinking/fun shooting" sessions.

Yesterday I took my G22 and both barrels (9mm Conversion & .40S&W) out to my range on my farm and wanted to document shell extraction from my pistol. I put a blue poly-tarp around my shooting bench, set up the Glock into a Ransom Rest and fired a full mag of 9mm (17rnds) and a full mag of .40S&W (15 rnds).

The 9mm cases all extracted and ejected between 1.5' to 3' to my 4 o'clock position (over the right shoulder).

I then did the same thing with the .40S&W G22 Barrel and they all extracted and ejected with no problems to my 5 o'clock position at 2'-3.5' distance.

The G22 had all original parts for the G22 in it. I have NEVER had a FTE or a Stovepipe in this pistol. It has been 100% reliable, and I like the versatility that Glock enabled in their pistols by keeping same frame construction for their pistol lines (i.e., Large Frame, Short or Compact Frame, and Sub-Compact Frames).

levelcross, I do believe that if you put the finger extension base plate on the G27 mag, that you could go to a common caliber for both Glock frames and have as much control over the .40 as you have on the 9mm.

Mag Extension at ($1.99)

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/92magbonewre.html

Glock Factory 27 mag at ($22.99)

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl27409rdflb.html

Glock Factory 27 mag w/extension at ($29.99)

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/gl2740112mag.html

As far as CCW aspects with the finger extension on the mags? It really does not change the ability to keep the weapon concealed. I have carried a G22 in a duty holster prior to retirement (former Military & LEO) and I have successfully carried it concealed in an IWB Kholster Holster with no problems.

Wolf barrels makes a Great Pistol even better due to multi caliber capabilities!

Like I said earlier, the group of shooters that use my private range have "converted" their Glocks up from 9mm and down from .40S&W with no problems, no FTF, no FTE, no Stovepipes!

~John

PhantomII
PhantomII

Postby chkyr6 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:49 pm

definitely like and rely on on my G-22...thousand of rounds through it and no problems...oil the rails and youre good to go.
chkyr6

Postby PhantomII » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:01 am

chkyr6 ,

I like the Glock 22 also and it is one of my "go to pistols" for CCW in a Kholster holster. Makes it readily accessible and yet completely concealed...

Rather than using just oil on the rails, I use Bownell's "Action Lube Plus" . Just a little bit applied with a toothpick will make the slide and action really smooth and virtually stops the wear and tear on the slide and rails. The smallest jar they sell will last you a lifetime. After some 8000 rounds through my Glock it still looks and functions like new! Get a Lone Wolf Match Grade Barrel in .40 S&W and accuracy really improves, and you can get a conversion barrel from Lone Wolf in 9mm or .357 SIG and make the pistol even more versatile. You only have to change the magazine for the 9mm conversion, using Glock or KCI Glock 17 mags.

It is a great pistol, and really fun to shoot!
PhantomII

Postby jbfla » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:39 pm

I hope most of you are aware that all models of the Glock 40 caliber can be converted to 9MM by purchasing a conversion barrel for around $100 and getting some 9MM magazines. That way you can shoot what you choose.

I have done this to all of my G22's and this conversion works fine. I rarely shoot 40 caliber now due to the cost.
jbfla

Postby PT80 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:46 pm

I shot my friends Glock 22 and it functioned flawlessly, but there was only one problem, I couldn't hit the target to save my life. My local gun dealer tells me he is big Springfield guy because when you fire the Glock, you have to aim slightly lower than what you are pointing at. the Glock 22 fts great in the hand and I don't recall much in the way of recoil even for the 40 cal version. I am not trashing Glock by any means, I just dont know how to shoot one.
PT80

Postby SW-Insured » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:58 am

PT80:

It's rare to hear of a Glock that is inaccurate. What is your friend's experience with this G-22? Does he use a point-of-aim at 6 o'clock, dead-center, or 12 o'clock?

If he doesn't know (which would be strange) then use a bench rest or sand bag rest to test point-of-aim at 10 yds, 17 yds, and 25 yds. If your shots are grouping at 12 o'clock after aiming at dead center -- then your point-of-aim should be 6 o'clock. This is the best way to determine if it is the shooter, or the gun.

Keep in mind that your groups will vary depending on type of ammo used (i.e. 180 gr FMJ vs 165 gr JHP vs +P loads).

Also, get snap caps to practice dry firing. Pay particular attention to the front sight for movement as you pull the trigger. Trigger pull is one of the primary reasons for inaccurate shots.

Sight Alignment: Level = iii Low = |i| High = i|i
SW-Insured

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols