>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Star Model B Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Star Model B Reviews

Postby jeremy7227 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:00 pm

My Star Model B was manufactured sometime between 1929 and 1934. The letter-year code was lightly struck and is either a C, D or G. The other proofs seem to indicate 1931. I purchased the pistol at a local gun shop for $275. The dealer told me it would have trouble with my reloaded 9mm but I found it fired everything I put in it. I fired 500 rounds of various loads. From quality Speer Lawman ($10/50rds) to W@l-M@rt Winchester Value ammo ($11/100rds) to the bulk bag of reloads from a friends garage (~$6/100rds). The gun shows its age in the grips, butt and hammer from what is likely many years of holster wear. But the blue is solid and the barrel is excellent despite many years of obviously heavy use. The accuracy was far above my expectations. I found it more accurate than the Ruger P94 and S&W Sig 9VE that I have shot extensively. The sights on my Star B were alligned by someone who knew what they were doing. Considering the age of this weapon I hope I can care for its next 75 years as well as some has cared fir it in its first 75. Whoever owned it before me gave it a great deal of use and a greater deal of TLC. The only concern I have is for the safety/spring. It needs to be adjusted as it is loose and engages occaisionally during rapid successive firing.
jeremy7227

Postby Bigfunkytown » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:06 am

One of the best bang for the buck buys you can make. If you find one then buy it.
Bigfunkytown

Postby Miami » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 am

Bought a Star Model BM (the compact version of the B) at a gun show for about $220. The gun was made in the 1970s and had some holster wear, but was otherwise in very good shape. I took it to the range and ran 100 rds through it. It is a very accurate weapon in the 5 - 10 yards range. Had about five or six failures to feed. It might have been the reloads I was using or the 8-shot magazine -- the spring felt a little soft. I have ordered a new (used) magazine on line. Nice, neat little gun that fits very well in your hand and has good accuracy. I don't think I would use it as my carry weapon, at least not until I clear up the failure-to-feed issue.
Miami

Postby lizardman » Mon May 05, 2008 6:37 am

Getting a star sa 9 was wondering if any one has shot one, and could tell me if its as good as the bm if so $160 seems like a good price.
lizardman

Postby lizardman » Fri May 30, 2008 7:49 pm

didnt like mine traded it in. just aout every round it wouold jam. to much work to have any fun with.
lizardman

Postby gmar3940 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:02 pm

I have a Star Model B. My Star was from the West German police. Seems the NAZI government had a contract with Star during the war and had pre-paid. The war ended before the delivery could be made. The new government ask for and received the Model B's paid for by the NAZI government. My Star was unfired and in new condition and was purchased from Ye Old Hunter in Alexanderia Virginia in the early 60's.

I have put about 2000 rounds of American ammo through it without a burp. HOWEVER it will not feed Sellier & Bellot. Close examination of the 115 hollow-point S&B used reveals the overall loaded length of the S&B is much shorter than Remington. This length will not feed up the Star's ramp. Go to American made 124 grain!
gmar3940

Postby gmar3940 » Sat May 31, 2008 2:03 pm

I have a Star Model B. My Star was from the West German police. Seems the NAZI government had a contract with Star during the war and had pre-paid. The war ended before the delivery could be made. The new government ask for and received the Model B's paid for by the NAZI government. My Star was unfired and in new condition and was purchased from Ye Old Hunter in Alexanderia Virginia in the early 60's.

I have put about 2000 rounds of American ammo through it without a burp. HOWEVER it will not feed Sellier & Bellot. Close examination of the 115 hollow-point S&B used reveals the overall loaded length of the S&B is much shorter than Remington. This length will not feed up the Star's ramp. Go to American made 124 grain!
gmar3940

Postby drygulch » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:28 am

I have a Star BM 9mm made in 1972 & love it. I've ran approx. 500 rounds through it without any malfunctions. I keep it clean & oiled. That's the best way to keep them in good working condition. Sometimes I carry this along with my Bond Arms Cowboy Defender 45 Colt/.410. The BM feels great in your hand & I like the slim 1911 style. Great for CCW. "gmar3940" has the right idea; most US made ammo works better in semi-autos...
drygulch

Postby otrclwotpo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:28 am

I have been considering the Star models in 9MM Luger. I have seen some good deals on used models and am wondering about parts and repair. Are the used pistols all surplus?
otrclwotpo

Postby alpierce001 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:02 pm

i just got out of the marine corps and my dad gave me his Star 9mm luger for some protection..i have shot it plenty of times and is a very good pistol..no problems ever..at the bottom of the pistol it has a "BM" stamped on it and i was going to see what yr it was made and what model it owuld go under?i havent seen a model BM anywhere on the internet...also i broke it down and cleaned it throughly and found out the extrator pin was all messed up and about to break...i am in houston tx and was wondering if anyone knew where i can get a replacement or part?
alpierce001

Next

Return to Pistols