>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Magnum Baby Desert Eagle Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Magnum Baby Desert Eagle Reviews

Postby Friedrice » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:46 pm

WARNING! First off let me say I loved my baby eagle .40. However after about 2k rounds it develped a little flaw. OK well big flaw! The auto decock would fire off a round. Started as only once in a while but then grew to everytime I decoced it fired a round. very UNSAFE! I got rid of it and now shoot a Kimber.
Friedrice

Postby USMarine8530 » Sun May 07, 2006 5:46 pm

Hello Gents. Just bought my first gun. Its a B.E. .45. I did alot of research short of firing every pistol I was interested and I just feel in love with the look, feel and reputation of the B.E. .45.

After I finally got my hands on one and took her out to the range, I found a few problems.

1. Filling the magazine was tough, but it was easily overcome. Those last two rounds are tough, but when you put some weight into it you can get it in there. It toughens up your thumbs and index fingers. Im too used to the easy M16A2 mags.

2. After shooting off a magazine I noticed I put a small scratch on the slide. I realized that this was caused by my wedding ring. This gun scratches very easily. So now when I shoot I shoot as if I were single.

3. Cleaning the pistol later I saw the same thing. This pistols finish comes off very easily. Dont use your abrasive bore brush on anything but the bore. The inside of my pistol has lost some of its finish. I clean the outside with a soft brush or my General Purpose brush.

4. And this is the most troubling problem that I would like you guys to help me out with a solution to:

I have shot off about 150 rounds and I have had 2 misfeeds and 1 smoke stack. It was a live round smoke stack not the empty shell.

I have read before that this pistol is very picky about what kind of ammo it takes so I stayed away from the flat tip and hollow points.

The ammo I am currently using is the gun range I go tos standard which might be the problem.

Fiocchi 230 grain JHP.

What should I do about this problem? New magazines? Different Ammo, if so what kinds? Send it back to the factory for repair?

Aside from those problems the pistols accuracy is excellent! The recoil isnt that bad, maintainance is easy, and groups are tight. My wife who was nervous at first ended up out shooting me in her last group. I have no qualms in admiting my wife is a superior PISTOL shooter than me. I have yet to intruduce her to the rifle which I hold the undisputed household title in.

Well anyways would appreciate your help. Please feel free to email me or respond to this post. Thanks.
USMarine8530

Postby snake » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:36 pm

i have used many .45 cal pistols for my job and for an off-duty weapon i purchased the .45 BE. first thing to do is throw out the BE .45 magazines that come with the weapon and buy some EAA full size witness mags (10 round capacity). the oem mags are junk and not worth the trouble of bothering with. if you use the EAA mags the gun will function perfectly each and every shot down to the last round. i found out the hard way after sending back 3 mags to magnum research and the miss-feed and stovepipes continued at the last round or second to last round with the factory mags. use the EAA mags, have the feed-ramp polished and this weapon will take what ever you want to put through it. after the above mentioned was done, this weapon is the tightest group shooting, most confortable shooting weapon i have ever owned ! ! bar none ! !
snake

Postby diamondoug » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:47 pm

I recently purchased the all steel .45 version of the baby eagle. I have been to the range twice this week with the gun, once indoors and once outdoors. This is the only gun I have ever shot and I have been praised for my accuracy already. I am pretty sure it is not me the range attendants are impressed with. The only negative input so far were two guys trying to sell me something else who dont stock Magnum Research firearms. They wanted to see the gun, then commented on how comfortable it was and quickly changed the subject when they realized my .45 was hundreds cheaper than what they were selling.
diamondoug

Postby maddogg » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:08 pm

I recently purchased this gun in .45 cal. I have to say this is my first handgun. I took it to the range and fired off 150 FMJ CCI rounds without a single problem. The only issue I have is that I couldnt see to get all 10 rounds into the magazines. It was so hard my thumbs were sore to the touch. I did manage to get 9 rounds in though (twice). Other than that the gun breaks down easy and really feels great on hands. If I had to do it again, I would definitely buy this gun again.
maddogg

Postby AaronGreenhouse » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:40 am

I am very interested in the Baby Eagle pistols. I was wondering if any one could comment on what the trigger pull is like? Especially on the difference between the DA and SA pull. Is it hard to make the transition from 1st to 2nd shot?
AaronGreenhouse

Postby diamondoug » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:07 pm

In response to AaronGreenhouses question about DA/SA trigger pull I would like to note that the feel is smooth and long in DA. I was trained at the range by the rangemaster to always pull the hammer back before the first shot anyway. (The DA on most guns causes the gun to move a little more than SA) In single action the pull very light and crisp compared to others I have used. When I dont pull the hammer back manually, I pull the trigger to the point that the cam does it for me, then I squeeze off my shot in SA. The DA is definitely an excellent safety feature. I hope this helps
diamondoug

Postby berettafool » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:10 am

In response to AaronGreenhouse, I will completely agree with DIAMONDOUG, the trigger pull in SA is definitely light and crisp. DA feels uncomfortable for me, it requires a bit of effort to keep the gun sighted where you want it through the duration of the trigger pull. But thats just me. Hope that helps.
berettafool

Postby AaronGreenhouse » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:49 am

Thanks for the replies regarding the trigger pull. Its very helpful.
AaronGreenhouse

Postby starksinc » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:31 pm

Im very interested in this weapon and would like to purchase, for right now the only one that my local dealrship can get thier hands on is the polymer brand, i have not seen to many post on here about the polymer, could anybody shed some light on this for me please, i just have limited time to purchase this being in the military i will only be around for a week! If all fails i will resort to the polymer unless there are are some serious downs to it!
starksinc

Next

Return to Pistols