>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Browning Hi-Power Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Browning Hi-Power Reviews

Postby ActiveFan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:16 am

Initially, the "High Power"" pistol was designed by John M. Browning in 1925 and was patented in the USA in 1927, soon after the death of the Browning. The design was aquired by Belgian state-owned company FN Herstal, and improved by FN designer Dieudonne Saive. The resulting pistol was shelved until 1935, when Belgian army was ready to adopt new sidearm. The HP was offered for trials and won, and was adopted as a Model 1935 pistol. Soon after that it was also adopted by Belgian police and by many foreign countries, including Britich Commonwealth ones (UK, Canada, Australia etc.). The High Power is the only sidearm that served for both sides in WW2 - Germany used many HPs manufactured in occupied Belgium, while Allies used HPs manufactured mostly in Canada by company Inglis. The HP continues its service well into XXI century with belgian Army and Police, British army and many other military and Law Enforcement agencies, being second longest living service pistols after the another famous Brownings design, the Colt 1911. "
ActiveFan

Postby ActiveFan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:17 am

Thechnically, the High Power pistol, also known as Browning HP 35, GP 35 or Model 1935, is a recoil operated, locked breech pistol. It uses linkless barrel to slide locking (see picture above), invented by Browning. The trigger is single action, with external hammer. Original HPs featured frame mounted safety at the left side of the frame, that locks both sear and slide. Modern versions, since Mark II, also featured ambidextrous safety levers, that are also more comfortable to operate. Original HPs were available with two sight wersions - with standart fixed sights, and with rear tangent sights ajustable for distance from 50 to 500 meters. Some pre- and WW2-time guns also featured backstraps with cuts to accomodate removable shoulder stocks/holsters. Grip panels were made from wood, and pistols were availabli with or without lanyard rings. The HP was the first military pistol to have high capacity, staggered column magazine for 13 rounds plus one loaded in the chamber.
ActiveFan

Postby robertbank » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:51 pm

The 1925 Patent is not the Hi-Power. The Hi-Power design was completed in 1935 eight years after Browning had died. The double stack magazine among other attributres of the gun owe their existent to Mr. Sauve who is generally considered to be the primary designer of the FN Hi-Power. He also designed the FAL Assault rifle.

Take Care

Robertbank
robertbank

Postby Pistole1212 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:32 pm

I own a waffen-proofed WWII era pistol. It is pinpoint accurate, if you have experience, and i cant recall any malfunctions. I would have to say its my favorite gun so far as reliability and accuracy is concerned (as long as you clean it). Also i paid nothing for it, my grandpa got it in germany during the war it is in excellent condition!
Pistole1212

Postby bcjwriter » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:18 pm

I love my Browning Hi Power, but I have a problem...can anyone help out there...

I recently purchased a gently used Hi Power Practical. It was the best shooting weapon for handling/accuracy/relability that I have ever found.

I currently carry a 1911 as a police duty weapon, but was about to switch to my Hi Power...then low and behold, after about 500 rounds (factory only) the bushing that does around the barrel came out of the gun...For those of you thinking...the Browning doesnt have a bushing, it does, but its integral to the slide in other words...its not supposed to come off. I searched the range, but never recovered the bushing. Now the weapon is off to Browning for repairs...

Has anyone out there ever heard of this happenning before? I sure havent. If you have, can you please send a reply, and let me know any of the circumstances around the issue, and how Browning was about fixing it?
bcjwriter

Postby Tach » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:23 pm

Im considering purchasing a BHP, but cant decide between 9mm and .40. How do the .40 cal versions rate compared to the 9mm? Is the weight and feel the same?
Tach

Postby bcjwriter » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:40 pm

Ive shot the .40 and the 9mm. The .40 is a bit heftier, but still a little stouter with recoil. It can shoot accurately though. My 9mm is as accurate as they get, cheap to shoot, and feels great in the hand. It broke though and is now with Browning to get fixed.
bcjwriter

Postby piper » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:50 pm

Ive had a BHP Standard 9mm for about ten years and it has always been one of my favorite shooters. Ive fed it all kinds of ammo without a problem. What can you say other than its a fine quality, well designed, proven weapon with a crisp S/A trigger. Every friend who has shot it admires the gun. Some bought Brownings because of it and many manufacturers have cloned it. John Browning knew how to design a good gun and his designs are still favorites to this day. You cant go wrong with a BHP.
piper

Postby bcjwriter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:43 pm

Hey for those of you with a Hi Power I just got my gun back from Browning. To the companys credit. the replaced the slide and made as good as new. This gun was built in the 1990s, and had a major issue when the barrel bushing blew out. For those of you out there who are saying What Barrel Bushing??? its the raised circle around the muzzle - and NO its not SUPPOSED to come out. But mine did.

To Brownings credit, they stood behind their product. Well done Browning!
bcjwriter

Postby calabrone » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 am

Hi there.

Is Browings GP Practical (High-Power for action shooting) a DA or SA pistol? HELP!
calabrone

Next

Return to Pistols