>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Pistols

Beretta 96 Reviews

Discuss and review everything about the pistol, from the original 1911, to the modern compact semi-automatic.

Postby PJ3 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:41 pm

To: rsmith3

Jamming every 20 rounds? Are you using cheap Wolf ammo? Ive put a lot of rounds through my 96G Centurion, the only ejection problem I have noticed is when using poor quality ammo. Wolf uses aluminum casings, they tend to expand in the chamber causing ejection failure. I would suggest using better ammo. Sellier and Bellot performs well.
PJ3

Postby Clownfish » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:28 pm

I own an 96fs and a USP 40. Ill say the 96 is a better pistol. The 96 has less recoil than the usp 40, accuracy is about the same between the two guns. Ive shot thounds of rounds of wolf and Silver bear ammo through my 96. Wolf ammo is as good as any other round out their for target shooting, and Ive used all kinds of ammo. I hardly ever have any jams on my 96. This pistol is a good handgun for the money you pay.
Clownfish

Postby dlm308rem » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 pm

I am new to the site and currently own 2 96s. One is made in the usa and one in italy..LOVE THEM BOTH

The one from the usa shows MOD. 96 Compact L-CAL..40.. Does anyone know what the actual model of this gun is.. The manual I got with the gun says it is a 96FS, which I believe FS stands for Full Size. If that is the case, I may have the wrong manual for it, as this gun is smaller than my Italian MOD. 96 D - CAL..40 by about a half and inch in overall length..

Also I am looking for Laser sights for both and have been looking at the Lasermax LMS-1441 for the 96D but cannot find any info on my other gun. I am also looking for some finger grooved Grips for both any recommendations would be greatly appreciated..

A happy Beretta owner.

Fred.
dlm308rem

Postby Pavespike » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:48 pm

I use Crimson Trace grips with mine. Very accurate!
Pavespike

Postby cptndaveahoe » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:32 pm

I recently bought a 96 and I absolutely love it. Never any problems with it when using the factory mags. However, I bought a promag 20 round extended for it and was sorry I did. About half way through the clip, the next round wouldn't load, getting stuck right below the chamber. That happened the first three or four times I used the clip, but the last couple times it worked fine. Either way I'm not taking any chances and recommend using only the factory mags, great gun.
cptndaveahoe

Postby MSGAmling » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:26 pm

Is anyone reloading for this in .40 S&W? I have a 96D and it handles just about all factory ammo well (with some hiccups with Remington UMC 180 gr. FMJ), but I had some problems today with some ammo I put together, and had a failure to feed on just about every third round. I replaced the 18 lb. main spring with the much weaker OEM spring and that seemed to cure the problem, for the most part. After another hundred rounds, there was only one failure to feed, but the slide's operation felt a little odd. It didn't feel as if it were cycling fully with every round.

I don't know if there are any reloaders on this forum, but what I loaded was Rainier 180 gr. JFP in Federal brass, CCI primers and 5.3 gr. of Bullseye powder. The brass is at proper length for headspace, and the overall length is good. The loading manuals say that the max load for the bullet used is 5.6 gr. of Bullseye. I am going to throw together another couple of hundred rounds at the max load and see if that helps. Any other ideas?
MSGAmling

Postby DADDYMONSTER » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 pm

I am happy that most of the reviews on the 96 are good, unfurtunately mine is not. I have to carry this gun on a daily basis and am not impressed. This gun has only had about 150 rounds put through it and it jammed at least 6 times everything from miss feeds to stove pipes. The only other gun that jams more was the hi point and you can read my comments on that one. The only thing thats been good is i can actually hit the target fairly accuratly. Now i am to understand that this weapon has 500 round break-in period, if i'm wrong let me know. I also found that the spring guide rod is supposed to be replace with a metal one, the one that came with it is plastic, again if i'm wrong let me know. At this point i seriously dont trust my life to this gun.
DADDYMONSTER

Postby PJ3 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:17 pm

To: Daddymonster

Both my 96s came with metal guides. I replaced one with a LaserMax and it continues to fire flawlessly. The only missfeeds I have experienced was with cheap Wolf Ammo with aluminum casings. What is your service ammo? Do you clean your mags? Do your jams come from a mag that has been loaded for weeks or do you reload the mags before you shoot? Are you using Beretta mags or are you using a cheap knockoff brand? Do the mag springs need replacement? There are way to many of us using this weapon with great success for you to simply blame the weapon without looking for some underlying cause. I would also advise you to spend more time on the range getting accustomed to the weapon. 150 rounds is just a warm up session. Use quality ammo, I would be interested to know how your addressing some of the common issues stated affect your weapons performance.
PJ3

Postby PJ3 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:46 pm

PJ3

Postby DADDYMONSTER » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:39 pm

TO: PJ

DONT GET ME WRONG I IN NO WAY BLAME THE WEAPON I KNOW THAT THERE HAS NOT BEEN ENOUGH ROUNDS PUT THROUGH IT, ITS A SERVICE WEAPON THEY ONLY ALLOW US TO USE(FIRE) ON THE RANGE. AND THATS ONLY ONCE A YEAR, HENCE THE 150 ROUNDS. I APPREICIATE ALL THE IDEAS AS TO WHY THE WEAPON KEEPS FAILING AND ACTUALLY WAS PART OF MY COMMENT, SO THANKS FOR THE IDEAS AGAIN. THE PTHER PART IS THE COMPANY WILL NOT ALLOW US TO MAKE MODS TO THE WEAPON(UNLESS IT FALLS APART) FOR ANY REASON. nOW THIS WEAPON WAS BOUGHT BRAND NEW SO I WOULD LIKE TO WHAT THE ACTUAL BREAKIN-PERIOD IS SO THAT I CAN OVER COME THE LACK OF FAITH IN A WEAPON THAT I HAVE NO CHOISE BUT TO CARRY. NO OFFENCE TO ANY THAT HAVING GREAT LUCK WITH THE GUN, IN FACT I'M HAPPY FOR YA. IN FACT I JUST NOTICED THAT I POST THIS GUN IN THE WRONG AREA MINE IS A 92 NOT A 96 I APPOLOGIZE
DADDYMONSTER

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols