>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Please help - my first gun (9mm)

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Please help - my first gun (9mm)

Postby BearArms » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 am

BearArms

Postby Gloc9mm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:12 am

Bear, Welcome to the Forum!

I own many Pistols of different makes and Cals myself, but the one I like best and carry mostly would be my Glock 19. You cannot beat the reliability which is what I am most concerned with when purchasing any weapon, plus it's safe and easy to use. It's not the cheapest gun on the market, but it's in line with most other comparable 9mm weapons.

Just be sure to take a safety course and also have your girlfriend take it as well if she will be near it, but that would apply to any gun you may purchase.

Good Luck!
Gloc9mm

Postby BearArms » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:18 am

Thank you for the welcoming and your help! So you like the Glock above my other options? Do you (or anyone else) have anything to say about the rest? Also, a friend of mine suggested I look at the Sig Pro SP2022 (though I'm not sure the place I went to has this gun, but if they do) what are your thoughts on that one in relation to the others? Thank you again for your reply and help!!
BearArms

Postby Noleforever9399 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey BearArms,

I have to agree with Gloc9mm that the 19 is a great gun. Really you probably couldn't go wrong with any of those guns that you listed. My advice(and what I always tell people in the outdoor store that I work in) is just handle a bunch of different ones and see which one feels the best to you. For example I know Glocks are terrific guns but I just don't like the way they feel so I probably will never own one but some people will only ever buy Glocks. It's just a personal preference.

I'll throw another one in there for you to consider: a Ruger SR9c. I love Rugers thats why I mention it(again personal preference lol). It comes with 2 different kinds of magazines as well. One is a 10 round magazine, it also comes with a finger grip extension for that magazine, that you can use if you ever want to use that gun as a carry gun. The other magazine is a 17 round high capacity magazine that comes with a grip adapter to make the grip longer. So essentially you get 2 guns in 1: a high capacity gun and also a gun that can be used for carry. Also they run around $430ish, just something else to consider.

The Beretta is also a terrific gun, you definitely couldn't go wrong with it. Really any of those guns you named would be good quality guns.
Noleforever9399

Postby BearArms » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:37 am

is the glock 17 gen 3 similar to the gen 4.....or would some of you suggest another item if i was only able to get a gen 4?

thanks!!
BearArms

Postby BearArms » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:35 pm

I have heard about the military using the Beretta 92 -- that's surely something good to know as I would expect that to mean the guns have at least been tested and are likely reliable (or at least were at the time....though id assume some 'bidding' between gun companies may also have come in to play here).....so first, is it true that the military still uses Berettas? Does the S&W M&P 40 mean that the military use that gun too? Do any government officials use any of these other guns such as the Taurus PT 92, FN FNX-9 or the Glock Gen 4 ??

thanks again to everyone for all your help so far---you've been a great help!!
BearArms

Postby Will_Carry » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:58 pm

The Glocks were not around back when the military retired the 1911 45acp from service. It wanted a 9mm to replace it because that is what NATO was using. The Beretta is still in use by our troops today and is a fine pistol. Some say if the Glock 17 had been around it would have been chosen over the Beretta but that's all talk. If you get a Beretta, Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD, CZ-75 or any of the 1911s, you will have a fine pistol no doubt. I would avoid the 1911 for now.

If you cannot afford these pistols then either save up, or take a chance on a cheap gun. Some of them are OK.
Will_Carry

Postby BearArms » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:37 am

Do you have any thoughts or an opinion on a Certified Pre Owned Sig?? If you have favorable things to say -- would you rather a 220 or 226 (for a similar price...or will they be different prices by quite a bit??) I was doing some research and they sound good....and the price drops....but maybe something like a Beretta or Glock brand new is the better way for me to go -- any thoughts/ideas?? Thank you!!
BearArms

Return to Gun Chatter