>
Board Index Miscellany Off-Topic Chatter

Cabela's SUCKS!!!

If you are not talking about firearms or weapons, do it here.

Postby Blackrifle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Timney is junk. Why is discussion being held here? Aren't there more appropriate sections for discussing AR systems? The 5.56 is an outdated round and will be surpassed by the 6.8 before you know it. I'm certain of it.
Blackrifle

Postby whitehood » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Why is it junk? I'm ready to be educated and if you have better suggestions give 'em. I want to know. The 75 and 77 grain bullets have done quite well. Sure the 6.8 is superior but I don't see this happening in the near future if at all.
whitehood

Postby Blackrifle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Because I've used them and they're junk. What more do I have to tell you? The stock trigger on most entry level guns are far superior than anything they supply, as long as you know how to clean them up. They're just after your money. A two stage trigger may work for some but a nicely tuned stock trigger is excellent. I can do the work myself, so I know what I'm talking about. Have you ever tried working on a substandard trigger and made it work like a Swiss watch? You should try it.
Blackrifle

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:23 pm

To answer your question black, yes there's better places to talk about AR's. We're in off topic though so it's not a big deal. Most anything goes here. Even thread hijacks!

6.8 isn't going to replace 5.56 anytime soon if ever. After we argue this lets discuss 6.5 vs 6.8!
beltbuckle

Postby beltbuckle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Whitehood, The only known problems I've heard about the Timney triggers is that some people have had problems with light strikes when shooting some surplus ammo. I've heard that if you use an AR10 drop in assembly this will eliminate that problem.

JP makes a drop in trigger very similar to the Timney but I like the JP better because it has pins that screw together, so even if you lost the tension of the assembly screws, your still going unless other issues arise.

Geissele; is my favorite for a marksman rifle. It combines all the attributes of a great trigger and does it with high weight springs. This is a big deal, as low weight springs can fail to ignite some primers.

As far as barrel twist is concerned, what's the heaviest bullet you plan on using? Keep in mind many 1/7's are actually 1/7.7

1:7 intended for 80-90 grain bullets.

1:7.7 up to 80 grains, same as 1:8 basically anything that isn't too long for the mag.

1:8 up to 80 grain target bullets and anything that can be loaded into a mag.

1:9 up to 69 grain target bullets

With all that said, my colt with a 1:7 will still shoot under 1moa @100 with 55grain WWB.

The heaviest I've shot is a 77grain Sierra match king. Usually I use 55grain cheap shit or 69grain Sierra's from black Hills. For my purposes a 1:8 is more than sufficient to stabilize anything I'd ever shoot.
beltbuckle

Postby whitehood » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:47 pm

I'm just curious about your choice of scope. BTW the Steyr 50 is on sale while supplies last. A righteous price for this one.
whitehood

Postby beltbuckle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm

What are you curious to know?

On my build, I run a Meopta Meostar 4-16 x44. Mil dot.

The colt has a Leopold Mark AR 3-9x40 Duplex

These are the only two AR's I own which have magnified optics.

I've been happy with both of these scopes, but I do like the Meopta better than the Leopold. One reason is probably the Mil Dot.

I've owned a couple Swarovski's before, have had a Zeiss, and a schmidt and bender. IMO, the Meopta is nicer than the Zeiss and very comparable to the Swarovski but not quite the Schmidt.

Have you given any more thought about triggers or barrel twist?
beltbuckle

Postby whitehood » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Just curious about what sights that are in use commonly. IMHO the magnification with medium range rifles has always been too much. I like the ACOG, but it's expensive and with the 6X it becomes, just that a medium range rifle. The 4X just doesn't give me the mag needed in the environment in which we might find we need it. It's fast and doesn't give a signature. Same for the Elcan. I''ll probably settle for a US Optics SN3 S at 1.8 X 10 with a illuminated mil dot though I toyed with the idea of a MOA reticle. Doesn't have a BDC which means beyond 300 meters I have to figure and the bullet is not the best for Mississippi windage. If I ever have to use it for a CQB rifle the 1.8 variable gives me what I need. It's a front focal plane scope so I know that POI will remain the same no matter what the mag is. I say use a moly coat 77 grain Black Hills Sierra zeroed at 100 on the first mil dot up puts me in the money on the cross hairs at 300 or damn close. One mil down gets me close to 400 and Two low and change gets me to 500 and splitting the difference at anything inbetween. I may be a bit wrong with my calculations but I think I"m close.
whitehood

Postby Blackrifle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:38 pm

Hey, what's next you guys? The equation for nuclear fission? When did this place go from working class shooters to rocket scientists? Why don't you start a "Whitehood" thread for technical supremacists? What's next, sighting coordinates for the AC-130?
Blackrifle

Postby whitehood » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Listen and learn Blackrifle. I want a single stage trigger and would still probably opt for a true 1/7 twist barrel. Fixed stocks are fine but I'd probably put a cheekpiece on.
whitehood

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Chatter