>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Anything Sigma

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Anything Sigma

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Moved Post

whitehood

Texas

Posted: 12/31/10 3:57 PM

Member (Nov 2009)

The problem with the Sigma trigger modifications is that it also lightens the firing pin strikes on the primers with failure to fire. This seems to occur in cartridges with harder primers such as military surplus.
"Guns don't kill people, People do!"
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Moved Post

matt1683

Arizona

Posted: 12/31/10 5:10 PM

Member (Dec 2010)

The trigger mod has got nothing at all to do with how hard the striker hits. I havent seen your mod but unless you change the striker spring it wont. all your doing is canging the amount of pressure that it takes to release the striker. the striker spring is what controls how hard it will hit the primer. by removing the pigtail spring and replacing one more spring in the trigger you can get a nice soft trigger. Also I have put a 3.5 pound striker spring in mine from wolf springs and have never had a fail to fire. any less than 3.5 and maybe but go with 3.5 and you will be fine. But if you just want to do a simple free trigger mod to lighten it by about 5 pounds or so then forget about the striker spring. anyway the simple fact is that a simple trigger mod has nothing to do at all in any way with how strong the striker spring is.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Moved Post

whitehood

Texas

Posted: 12/31/10 6:09 PM

Member (Nov 2009)

Sure it does. The aftermarket kits state this. BTW what do you think of the Sig 229? How you answer this will establish you bonafides.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Moved post

matt1683

Arizona

Posted: 1/1/11 2:36 AM

Member (Dec 2010)

The sig P229. well about the only complaint I have is the price. I think that is is a great out of the box gun. accurate, durable and easy to handle. I myself like the 357 sig version although the 9mm and the 40 are great to I just like the 357 sig round. If I remember right it was the first to be made in the new hampshire plant. It is used as a duty pistol by the coast guard so cant be to darn bad right? I also like the fact that it has a decocker, some people dont like that but I love that about it. my next perchase will most likely be a p229 equinox as I think that is a really nice weapon. I love the styling. I also like the fact of an exposed hammer instead of a striker fire gun. anyway I guess I am saying I like it alot and I hope to get one soon. so back to the sigma. No taking the pigtail spring out does not change how hard the striker hits. again that is controlled by the tension of the striker spring not the trigger pull, unless you change the striker spring. anyway lets stay on track here and just get into likes and dislikes of the sigma.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Moved Post

BrianB

Texas

Posted: 1/2/11 3:29 AM

Member (Mar 2010)

Whitehood, I don't know what you are looking at but one has nothing to do with the other. One controls the pressure of the trigger, the other controls the striker. Pulling out the pigtail is only reducing trigger pull, not striker. Totally different springs. The sigma has a total of three springs that control trigger pull alone and the pigtail is one of them. The only reason it is in there is to give it that extra amount of pressure to lessen the chance of accidental discharge. Why you continue to spread so many different opinions as facts is beyond me. Show me something, other than someones opinion, that pulling this spring out changes the striker pins force.

Then there is the Sigma is the "choice" weapon of gang bangers. You say this all the time yet show nothing to prove it. Okay, many others have asked but I will ask again, show me proof. And lets just pretend that it is the case. Whats your point? Is it a terrible weapon? Not from my point of view, maybe not the best, but great value for dollar. So what if it were, what does that mean? "Decent" folk should not buy it? Why? If the quality is decent, why do you continually throw that in? Seems you just want to mar the reputation of the gun for some reason.

Perhaps you think the price is too low, making it too affordable for the poor, which would be where most criminals would be thought to come from. So if it were more expensive, would that mean they would not buy it anymore? Perhaps that may cut down on it being the gun bought through Strawman sales or whatever, but then, would that not then mean a different gun would then be the least expensive and they would buy that one? So which gun would be the next choice? Maybe Taurus, they are pretty cheap, maybe we could label them as "gangbanger" weapons next?

Come on man, get off the soapbox of high opinion as fact or show me where it is fact. Otherwise, I think you simply are trying to push an agenda of your own.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Moved Post

will_carry

North Carolina

Posted: 1/2/11 5:39 AM

Member (Oct 2008)

If I still owned my Sigma I would love to get in on this very interesting conversation. But I gave my Sigma away to a friend who had done me a favor, so I will stay out of this, and just read the posts. :)
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Moved Post

BrianB

Texas

Posted: 1/2/11 6:41 AM

Member (Mar 2010)

Here is another thought, perhaps the term pigtail spring is misunderstood.

Here is a parts drawing of the Sigma, broken down as much as I can find it.

The "Pigtail" spring is located in the sear housing block, part #12. This part is found in the grip area of the gun. The striker spring would be found in the slide of the gun, in the striker assy, part #21.

Watch the video I posted and you will see that the "pigtail" spring, as it is being referred to, is the spring being removed, from the sear housing block. Here it is again, just in case anyone missed it.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Moved Post

fletchwe

Florida

Posted: 1/2/11 6:51 AM

Member (May 2010)

This has all gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. I'm wondering if Whitehood owns a Sigma or just has an axe to grind. If he/she own one and is unhappy, sell it and end your misery.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Moved Post

whitehood

Texas

Posted: 1/2/11 8:16 AM

Member (Nov 2009)

Here are the simple facts. First the Sigma has a reputation for having light primer strikes post trigger modification. Some do, but probably most do not. Google this and you'll find page after page of statements/ articles referring to it. Secondly at least one after market kit explicitly states this. It is that simple.

And Flethchwe, I do not own a Sigma but have shot both early, middle and late model variants. As I have said before and will repeat, I think the weapon is much better in its later variants. Yep. Would I consider buying one in the under 300 dollar category? Yep. Is the weapon adequate as a personal defense weapon? Probably, but with the caveat that I would want to upgrade if and when I could. Is it a Glock? Not even close.
lotsip81

Postby lotsip81 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:05 pm

Moved Post

edteach2u

Michigan

Posted: 1/2/11 8:50 AM

Member (Aug 2010)

I am so sick of hearing is it a Glock? If you have a hard on for a Glock marry it. I own a 19, and its a fine weapon. But I bought a sigma because of price and can tell you that the trigger pull is not that bad. Its like the difference between a shot gun and rifle trigger. These guns are not for shooting 50 yard pie plate at a shoot. They are for self defense. Even a Glock out of the box has to under go a lot of work to make it a comp gun. My Glock is much worse of a fit to the hand than the sigma. The trigger is smother and easier than the sigma, but its not for shooting min. of angle at some comp shoot. In a shoot out I prefer the sigma trigger. Much less easy to accidently pull off a round than a Glock. I like the bigger slide release over the Glock. The sigma is lighter than the Glock also and throw in that its 200 or more cheaper and you can't go wrong. People who are brand loyal are as stupid as they sound. They are like the people who are blind nationalists and call them self patriots.
lotsip81

Next

Return to Gun Chatter