>
Board Index Wield Your Weapon Gun Chatter

Taurus -- model PT-58

General discussion and chatter about firearms and weapons only.

Taurus -- model PT-58

Postby targaryen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I am considering purchasing a Taurus model PT-58. Does anyone have any information or opinions regarding this particular model? I would be interested in hearing any comments -- pro or con -- regarding this model. thanks,
targaryen

Postby Will_Carry » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:01 am

Why are you considering a full size 380? 380 ammo is more expensive than 9mm and is harder to find. The 9mm doesn't have much more ,if any, recoil and has better stopping power.

That being said the PT-58 looks cool and I have respect for the 380 round.
Will_Carry

Postby targaryen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:13 pm

First, thank you for your reply. And, you make a very valid point about the ammo cost. Since I do have several 9mm pistols and a 9mm carbine, I was somewhat reluctant to move off the 9mm standard I made for myself. I liked the feel and the heft of the PT-58 and the number of rounds in a standard magazine -- almost twenty rounds -- was impressive. But, I was unable to test fire the weapon. With all that said, I thought to get other opinions about this particular model. So, I am all ears on any further comments. thanks,
targaryen

Postby Will_Carry » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:58 am

Like I say. I have a lot of respect for the 380 cartridge. I carry a 380 pocket pistol and have considered the same thing you are. A full size 380! I was looking at CZs. I would seem that a full size 380 would have less recoil so you could shoot faster aimed shots. I haven't shot a full size 380 yet but the PT-58 looks good to me.
Will_Carry

Postby targaryen » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 am

I think the next step for me is to test fire this model to confirm. I appreciate your feed back and your comments. thanks,
targaryen

Postby JustBen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:23 am

Are you planning on using this as a back up gun or a primary carry gun ?

For primary carry I would recommend the Glock 17 or 19 in 9mm. Lots of rounds in the magazine too. or a S&W M&P 9.

If you are looking for a back up there are many. I recommend a .38 snubbie DAO since they are so reliable compared to the .380 autoloaders.
JustBen

Postby targaryen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:19 am

Actually, the PT-58 (or any 380 I eventually purchase) will be a secondary weapon. I was introduced to the Beretta 92 when I was in the military and fell in love with it. It is my primary. I hear a lot of good things about Glock and other models, but I kind of like my Beretta. I initially trained on the model 1911 .45 and never really liked that weapon at all. But, when we changed over to the Beretta -- it was love at first sight. I hear the Army is going back to the .45 - I guess they just got to have that knock down punch and a .45 will do that. I might test fire a Glock the next time I am at the range. A lot of people like the Glock, so I might need to test fire one. thanks for your suggestions. I will keep that in mind.
targaryen

Postby Will_Carry » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:55 pm

You have good taste. The Beretta 92 needs no introduction.

I wouldn't say anything of you decided to carry a 380 as a primary carry. My little pocket 380 is my "always carry" but is often used as a BUG.

I noticed that the PT-58 is no longer on Taurus' website. Did they stop making it?
Will_Carry

Postby targaryen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks, You know, some pistols are like used cars. If you see a lot of a particular car model being sold in used car lots, it means a lot of people traded in that car model. The same I have noticed in some gun shops. You continually see the same pistol models as a trade in. But, I have only seen one PT-58 for sale in the gun shops where I live. The next time I went back, it had been sold. I have seen a lot of other models in the used gun rack, but only one PT-58. Which tells me, the people who own this model are hanging on to them. This is just my observation, but if a gun model is being traded in, you got to think it has to be for a reason. I checked the Taurus web site about a year ago to read up on the PT-58, but when I went back a couple of months ago, I did not see it listed. I also wonder if it has been discontinued. Next time I see a PT-58 for sale, might just have to jump on it.
targaryen

Postby ShootSS » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Definitely test fire one if you can. I bought a Taurus 909, basically a smaller 9mm in the Beretta 92 format, and while it felt and looked good, it shot terrible. I could not print a single hit on the entire paper target at 25 yards. I purposely shot high, low, left and right trying to see where the damn thing was shooting and NEVER hit the paper target (24 x 18 inch). I had lusted after that gun for months before finally springing for one, then sold it as fast as I could after shooting it.

Granted it is a short barreled semi-auto, and many semis (even longer barreled semis) are not noted for accuracy at 25 yards, but THAT was ridiculous. I think any gun should be able to at least HIT the paper at that distance. When I aimed a foot over, under, left and right and still could not register a print, if I had not known better, I would have thought I was shooting blanks.

I own a PT-100 (a .40 caliber version of the PT-92) which I dearly love, and I too was looking at the 58, but ended up with the .380 Bersa Firestorm, and I'm glad I did. It is only a 7+1, but it's light, much smaller than the PT58 and hits what I aim at. I'd try the PT-58 at 15 yards and see what you can do. If you are not happy, don't get it.

The idea (at least for me) is that a concealed carry piece should be small enough to conceal easily. I'm not sure the PT58 is going to hide easy, and a full magazine will double the 18.7 ounces the gun weighs easily. Something to consider.

ShootSS
ShootSS

Next

Return to Gun Chatter